Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can Still Barely Swallow

I'm throwing this out there to anyone who may have experienced my situaution. I was banded on 28 Jan 2011 (Friday). In the recovery room my doctor told me that my stomach was large and that the band is quite tight. He said I would be on Clear liquids for week probably (maybe longer). I can barely swallow small sips and then the gas starts as well as major gas during the night. I have talked to my doctor this morning (Sunday) and he told me to hang in there and it will get better and that he had one other case with i very tight band at the start and it took about 6 days to loosen up. Is there anyone out there who has experienced this as well. If tiny sips of clear liquid (water, tea)hurt then I cant imagine what this will be like to eat food down the road. Doesnt the food stay in the upper pouch and make you feel like intense heart burn. I only ask because Water should be getting through the opening really quick but it feels like I have major indigestion.

Please help with some info on what I can expect if you had a tight band at the beginning as well. Greatly appreciated

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm no expert... but this is my theory. I think he's saying to give it time, because you probably have quite a bit of swelling from the surgery itself. After the swelling goes down you should be able to start trying food again. I agree that probably a week of liquids and then slowly adding in mushies. Now for the plus side, you might be one of those that doesn't have to wait through months of small fills to get good restriction. You might be lucky enough to have enough restriction with just having the band in place. But if you can't keep down any liquids then you have to seek medical attention so that you don't get dehydrated. Good luck.

Thanks Packersfan.I appreciate the info. Does this sound out of wack. I went to the gym just to use the scale because I have been having such trouble with clear fluids. It says I have lost 26 pounds 4 days. I guess it is just Water but what a way to kick it off. I know its not healthy though and not to expect that to las much longer

Thanks

Hi Mike,

I'm no expert... but this is my theory. I think he's saying to give it time, because you probably have quite a bit of swelling from the surgery itself. After the swelling goes down you should be able to start trying food again. I agree that probably a week of liquids and then slowly adding in mushies. Now for the plus side, you might be one of those that doesn't have to wait through months of small fills to get good restriction. You might be lucky enough to have enough restriction with just having the band in place. But if you can't keep down any liquids then you have to seek medical attention so that you don't get dehydrated. Good luck.

Hi Mike,

I actually experienced this myself after surgery. It would take me a whole day to sip down one slim fast and one bottle Water. It was like this for a good week after surgery. I thought what did I do to myself! Even drinking gave me the feeling of bad heartburn. I found that eating tums and the gas strips helped a lot. The gas strips didn't really work unless I had about 4 at a time. The heartburn feeling lasted about a week and then it went away. After a whole week I was able to get all my liquids down fine. After 2 weeks I was able to start on my mushies and didn't have any problem at all. By week 3.. I was eating normal foods again just like before surgery and couldn't wait to get a fill.

Give it a week and you will feel better. Just sip, sip, sip all day so you don't get dehydrated!! Remember to drink slow and tiny tiny sips so you don't get the heartburn feeling. It will get better just hang in there. The swelling will go down and you will be able to eat again!!!

Yea, after surgery it was hard to get lots of liquids down, you are swollen for a few weeks.

I wouldn't worry just yet, and WALK WALK WALK that helps the gas

I don't think that is good. Why would he not use a larger band if he knew it was tight? If you can't get down even Water barely, you are going to end up dehydrated.

Do you know what size band you have? At this point though, what's done is done. As long as you can get liquids down, then just go with the flow. Since you're having difficulty, I'd keep something constantly by your side and take tiny sips all through the day to make sure you don't get dehydrated. You want to get your Protein in so you might consider getting some of those concentrated Protein drinks. It should get better as the days go on and the swelling goes down.

Hey, welcome to Lapband land. 1st of all, it has only been 4 days since your surgery, and you wrote this on day 3. There is a reason for us to be on clear liquids for a week to 2 weeks. I was on liquids only for 3 weeks, then mushies. Anyway, you are swollen, and passing only 1-2 onces of Water is normal. Taking little sips is what you should be doing. I was able to drink a 4 ounce cup in about 30-60 mins shortly after surgery. take your time! Good luck!

I had the hardest time drinking after surgery and ended up dehydrated 5 days later. I had to go get an IV at the hospital. Everytime I took a sip the pain was unbearable and it was like I had to burp just to make room for the Water to go down. This lasted almost 2 weeks. GasX strips were a lifesaver! They melt on your tongue so you dont have anything to really swallow. Walking helps a TON too! Hang in there, before long you will be wishing you had a tiny bit of that restriction back. 5 months and 4 fills later, I can eat ANYTHING!