Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What type of pre-op diet are you on, and how are you doing?

Elle23
Sign in to follow this  

You guys are all so great...I can identify with all of you. I am a total scale junkie...I check almost everyday and of course it's in the buff, after my morning pee and before I brush my teeth...hehe :rolleyes:

I'm also feeling kind of indifferent about. Maybe it hasn't hit me yet. Maybe I am in denile of all the changes. I know it will be hard completely changing my lifestyle.

I am on day 4 of my pre-op and so far so good. Mine is also on the easier side. 2 shakes (I like unjury and inspire from Bariatric Eating.com...a great website if you havent seen it), fruit veggies and 3-4ox of fish or chicken. I did have a cupcake the other day to Celebrate a promotion at work...oh well no ones perfect!!! B)

I'm also not sure about telling people yet...other then my mom/Dad, Hubby (of course) and my BFF. No one at work knows...they just think I'm going on vaca for a week...hope that fib doesn't backfire...not that I am concerned about what they may think but I agree with you all that I would rather get some of this under my belt and actually know what I am doing and of course I will have hopefully lost some weight. I work all day and I find it hard to get all the meals in. I sit in a ton of meetings and am on the go alot...I'll need to figure this one out.

Anyway, off to a meeting I go.

I wish everyone lots of success...Keep in touch!

Peace~

Ally

TexasMama ~ I love San Antonio -- I used to go there quite a bit. :) The people are so nice. What part of Houston did you live in? I'm in Clear Lake, and I've lived here for about 10 years.

Tom ~ I'll definitely post my list of questions for the pre-op consult. I'm going to work on it this evening, so I'll post it later tonight or tomorrow. :) What kinds of things do you think we'll have during our early phases -- clear liquid, liquid, and mushies? I know you have some experience with this. And, thanks for all of the recipe ideas -- it's a huge help!

Okay, question for all of you pre-op dieters -- do you feel low on energy? :sleep2: I have been tired...really tired, and pushing myself to work out has been difficult. So far I'm keeping to my 3 day a week Zumba, but I was hoping to bump up exercise to 5x's a week and that isn't happening right now.

Hey Elle! Well, I grew up in Kingwood, my husband grew up in Angleton, but for the past 20 years I have stayed on the west side. When my husband and I got married in 2001 we bought a condo in Memorial near Town and Country, and we stayed there until September of 2009 when we moved here.

We LOVE Clear Lake and the area. We are big boating fans and always saw ourselves being close to the Water, so this has been an adjustment for us. There are lakes around though, and some beautiful rivers, so that's definitely a bonus!!

You know, I wanted to say that if you are feeling tired, it could be because your body is starting to use itself as fuel. I remember back on Atkins when that happened. I became super sluggish around day 2 or 3, but usually got a huge surge of energy around day 4 or 5. I don't really know why. Anyway, you might want to get some Ketostix (just ask for them at the pharmacy desk) and check several times a day to see if you're in ketosis, which means you're burning FAT! :-) Yay!

FeelinGroovy (Ally) ~ Your scale routine is mine to a "T"! LoL. My DH thinks it's crazy, but then again he doesn't really watch his weight too closely -- just stays active. I like the idea of telling the work peeps that I'm going on vacation...I haven't thought of a plausible excuse yet and that just might do it. I feel a bit guilty for cheating today too...I got stuck in a long meeting and they catered sandwiches, so I had a slice of turkey and half a piece of cheese. I think it'll still be okay and I did add it to my food journal...just hoping that the doctor isn't looking too closely at that. I'll have to check out the website that you mentioned -- do they have Vitamins that they recommend? I haven't picked up my chewable ones yet and I'm trying to figure out what other supplements I might need -- Vitamin C, Calcium, etc.

Do any of you have any recommendations on chewable vitamins and supplements? ? Many thanks if you do. :D

Hey TexasMama ~ My DH graduated from high school not so far away from you (he's originally from San Diego, but moved to the Woodlands when he was in high school -- Navy brat). :) I do like the Clear Lake area -- it's pretty peaceful and we love the Water too! I actually know someone from Angleton (a friend's husband) and that isn't that far away. Up in San Antonio, you guys do have some nice lakes and rivers nearby -- I love Lake Travis (my BIL lives in Austin). On fatigue, thank you for the pointers. I've never done Atkins (tried South Beach) and I probably will have to pick up some Ketostix. I haven't noticed the ketosis breath, but it might explain the fatigue...I think part of it is the 800 calories a day, work, and my kids. I have a 4 year old and 17 month old twins -- all boys. They definitely keep me running. :)

Hi everyone! I'm on Day 12 of my 21 day pre op diet. I get four Opifast shakes a day, plus all of the green veggies I want. This does not include carrots or peas or potatoes - you know, the starchy stuff! The first few days were horrible...I was weak, and miserable - but the last couple of days have actually been pretty good! And I've lost 16 lbs!!:D

I've just been trying to keep my eyes on the prize and look at the big picture.

I do have a weird craving though...for bananas! I would kill someone for a banana right now...lol

Cheers!

Kristy

scale junkies unite!! My bf thinks I'm a nutcase. When I wake up, after I exercise, before bed to see how much the difference between night & day... Etc. I always find an excuse to hop on. I have one week left till banding and this liquid diet sucks. I got tired of broth & Jello so I'm going with just liquids but that's making me even more hungry so I'll just suck it up.

I haven't told anyone except best friends parents & bf I hate people in my business. Especially with the thought of the 9 million questions they'd ask. I. Told everyone at work I'm having my hernia repaired so I have the week off.

So excited February starts tomorrow, soon we'll all be banded & on our way!!!

Tomorrow is myhalf way point to banding! Yipee! We are both almost there!

You are more of a scale junkie! I will only way myself before having anything to eat or drink and usually after bathroom time. Once I have had food and drinks I will never get on the scale.< /p>

I am starving right now as I right this. Thanks god for tea, zero cal drinks, broth & jello!

My parents don't know as they are out of town on vacation. I also didn't want my dad to give me his opinion as he can be hurtfull. Only my hubby, sister-in-laws & BFF know. If people have asked I too have used the hernia storey.

Have a great rest of the week!

Cheers,

Kristi

Scale junkies unite!! My bf thinks I'm a nutcase. When I wake up, after I exercise, before bed to see how much the difference between night & day... Etc. I always find an excuse to hop on. I have one week left till banding and this liquid diet sucks. I got tired of broth & Jello so I'm going with just liquids but that's making me even more hungry so I'll just suck it up.

I haven't told anyone except best friends parents & bf I hate people in my business. Especially with the thought of the 9 million questions they'd ask. I. Told everyone at work I'm having my hernia repaired so I have the week off.

So excited February starts tomorrow, soon we'll all be banded & on our way!!!

Elle,

My BFF has kept off all the weight but ganined a bit when she had emergancy surgery. She did have her band filled for 2 years and now she is back at it.

Thanks for all your support. Keep in touch & best of luck!

K

KisKis ~ That's exactly how I feel! I just want to work on my new banded life with myself and get used to it -- I know that I'll lose, maybe gain, plateau, etc. -- but I don't want a lot of comments about it, because as with all weight loss regimens it will be hard. Like you, I'll probably let more people know after the fact. Btw, your BFF did awesome! Is she maintaining now? I can't wait to get there with all of you!! :D

Tom ~ You are doing awesome! I tried to "pretend" that my salad the other night was a big pile of nachos...it didn't work out so well for me. LoL. Scary enough, I'm finding that I look forward to the morning shake...either that, or I'm hallucinating. I haven't readily noticed ketosis, but something must be going on, because I've lost some. Just keeping my fingers crossed that I'll lose the 7 I need prior to surgery. Btw, I've got a monster in my tummy that complains a lot too! LoL . :D

Blondeej ~ I'm sure you'll do just fine! This weekend was tough for me...during the workweek I can set a routine and stick to it, but being at home on the weekend with the family makes it really tough!

TexasMama ~ I love your name! I am a Texas mom too (Houston-area). :) I've heard that some surgeons don't require a pre-op -- but that would be a good question for your doctor's office, since it does have relevance to the procedure. For me, it isn't an insurance requirement -- it's a requirement from my surgeon to make my liver more easy to deal with during the surgery.

Well, today is day 6 of my pre-op...according to the scale at home I'm down 6 (of course that's my "in the buff" weight). LoL. My pre-op consult with my doctor is Thursday. Do any of you have a list of questions that you are going to ask? I'm starting to compile one.

You all are doing great! Have a wonderful day and chat with you later!

KisKis ~ That's so awesome that you have someone close to you that can help you on the band journey! I know a few people who have had gastric bypass, but no banders -- except for my friends online. :) I'm sure you and your BFF will do extremely well -- we'll all be sharing tips, tricks, and recipes with each other -- it really is a great community. Best of luck to you both!

Tom ~ I am sorry I haven't posted my questions for the pre-op. I'm still working on the list (my pre-op with my doctor is tomorrow). Some of my main points are:

1. How long will I have to go without: shower/bath, lifting (i.e., children, pets, groceries), sex, and exercise?

2. How long do you recommend that I take off from work? And, is it best to take leave during the liquid phase of the post-op?

3. What pain management protocols do you practice?

4. When will I have my first fill, and do you do them under flouroscopy? Do you do all of your fills, or do you have a PA who also does them?

5. How often will I actually see you after I am banded?

Hope you all are doing well! Today is day 8 of my pre-op diet. On the scale this morning I was down another pound. I'm curious to see what I am on the doctor's scale -- for the life of me, I can't specifically remember what I weighed there the last time I went. I'm hoping that I am losing a sufficient amount.

Question for all of you -- are any of you going to have a sensible "last meal"? Or, did you do it before the pre-op diet? My DH has been asking if I want to do that prior to surgery, but I'd really like to stay with my plan. Plus, I haven't really craved anything the last few days and my head hunger has been relatively under control. I'm still a little fatigued, but it seems to be improving as well. Fingers crossed.

Have a wonderful day everybody!

Day 8 of 14

I cant stomach the shakes first thing in the morning (had to give up my coffee which is just unbearable)

for Breakfast :

8oz apple juice

5oz yogurt

snack:

Jello or broth (popsicle)

lunch:

26 g Protein shake with skim milk

1/4 cup cottage cheese

snack:

popsicle or broth

dinner"

26 g Protein Shake with skim milk

8oz of juice

64 oz Water daily - I am to take in 44-66g Protein in a day

lost 10lbs so far

Hello everyone!! My pre-op diet has not been too bad. I am allowed to have 2-3 shakes, 1-2 decent meals which consist of 4-6 oz of lean meat such as chicken or pork chops. Along with steamed broccoli, cauliflower, salad, green Beans, or anything else that is green. I can have as much green veggies as I want. Also, sugar free Jello and/or pudding. No carbonated beverages, sugar, or carbs other than what is in the veggies. My diet is pretty much Atkin's style.

So far I have been doing really, really well. I have not cheated at all. I am on day 6 out of 14. Today I had a shake for Breakfast. For lunch I had a grilled, boneless pork chop with steamed cauliflower. I had a shake as a snack and for dinner I just ate some romaine lettuce with a small piece of lean chicken.

As of today, I have lost 7 pounds on my pre-op diet. :)

Courtney

Glitter ~ I hear you on the coffee...I've been good and haven't had any, but it makes for a very slow (and sometimes cranky) morning at work. LoL. You're getting banded about the same time as me -- I'm 02/22. I'm getting excited and nervous. :) What Protein shakes are you drinking? I've been drinking mostly Lean Body for Her (chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla) and occaisionally adding in 1/4 cup blueberries or 2 strawberries. I just ordered a couple of new Protein Shakes today -- BSN Lean Dessert Protein. They came recommended from my nutritionist -- only 20 grams of protein per serving, but the calories and carbs are pretty low (130, 7 -- respectively) and they are supposed to taste pretty good...I'm hoping it helps during the liquids phase post-op. How are you feeling?

ck1Redhead ~ I would LOVE your pre-op! I have 2 Protein Shakes a day and then a "sensible" meal of 4-6 oz. protein and 1 cup of fruit (only approved ones) or veggies. I did stray off course briefly, when my original surgery date was rescheduled due to the insurance people at my doctor's office (long story -- but they told me to get off of the pre-op diet because I was being moved to March), but it was only for a couple of days and during that time I was still fairly good. What shakes are you drinking? I think you are also getting banded about the same time as Glitter and I. :)

We are all going to do awesome! I can't wait! Both of you are doing so well on your pre-op diets! I'm down a little over 10 lbs., but fluxing a little bit due to (sorry TMI) PMS. Boo.

Glitter ~ I hear you on the coffee...I've been good and haven't had any, but it makes for a very slow (and sometimes cranky) morning at work. LoL. You're getting banded about the same time as me -- I'm 02/22. I'm getting excited and nervous. :) What Protein shakes are you drinking? I've been drinking mostly Lean Body for Her (chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla) and occaisionally adding in 1/4 cup blueberries or 2 strawberries. I just ordered a couple of new Protein Shakes today -- BSN Lean Dessert Protein. They came recommended from my nutritionist -- only 20 grams of protein per serving, but the calories and carbs are pretty low (130, 7 -- respectively) and they are supposed to taste pretty good...I'm hoping it helps during the liquids phase post-op. How are you feeling?

ck1Redhead ~ I would LOVE your pre-op! I have 2 protein shakes a day and then a "sensible" meal of 4-6 oz. protein and 1 cup of fruit (only approved ones) or veggies. I did stray off course briefly, when my original surgery date was rescheduled due to the insurance people at my doctor's office (long story -- but they told me to get off of the pre-op diet because I was being moved to March), but it was only for a couple of days and during that time I was still fairly good. What shakes are you drinking? I think you are also getting banded about the same time as Glitter and I. :)

We are all going to do awesome! I can't wait! Both of you are doing so well on your pre-op diets! I'm down a little over 10 lbs., but fluxing a little bit due to (sorry TMI) PMS. Boo.

I have been doing the whey Protein from GNC. Hubby is picking me up the strawberry flavored this evening on his way home from work. I wish I could put fruit in! I am following the guidelines to a "T" that my Nutritionist gave me - which even states yogurt without added fruit or chunks :(

I had my pre-op today and am so excited - I think I have the most awesome Dr. - very easy to talk to.

We are one day difference in our surgery so we can be "band twins"

Elle23- My diet does rock. I am still trying to eat very little considering I won't be able to eat anything after surgery. I am trying to adapt. Right now I am drinking the Atkins shakes and lite muscle milk shakes. I am allowed to have anything with less than 5 grams of sugar, low-low carbs, and 15+ grams of Protein. The Atkins shakes are delicious. As of today, I have lost 11 pounds....woohoo! Also, I haven't strayed at all! I can't wait until next Wednesday!!!

You are doing excellent as well. Great job! rolleyes.gif

How is everyone doing? We are getting really close! I've been sticking to the pre-op, and the weight loss with it has been pleasantly surprising. For those of you who haven't had surgery yet -- are you excited? I'm scheduled for tomorrow at 8:30 a.m. Today is a holiday from work, so I am trying to tie up some loose ends around the house (to help DH manage the kids for the couple of days that I'll be out of commission). I'm planning on taking a little over a week off from work -- longer, if needed (my doctor said it was up to me).

Best wishes to you all! We'll be banded losers soon! :D