Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What type of pre-op diet are you on, and how are you doing?

Elle23
Sign in to follow this  

Hi everybody!

I'm on day 2 of my pre-op diet (my banding is scheduled for 02/10). I drink two high Protein Shakes a day (Breakfast and lunch) and then have a serving of lean Protein (I'm going to switch between chicken breast and fish) and 1 cup of vegetables for dinner. For the shakes, I'm alternating between Myoplex Lite and Lean Body for Her -- in the morning, I'm mixing my shake with 8 oz. skim milk and about 1/4 cup of frozen unsweetened blueberries and then drinking it on the way to work.

Yesterday (day 1) was tough. I don't think I've ever heard my stomach growl that loudly at work or felt light-headed like that...got a few looks from my boss at a project meeting. LoL. :wacko: Today has been much more tolerable with a lot less stomach rumbling and no light-headedness.

I'm tempted to weigh myself (I'm a bit of a scale junkie), but I think I'm going to wait until the weekend or early next week and give this pre-op a few days. My goal is 10 lbs. (my surgeon wants 7-10 off before banding day).

Are any of you counting carbs? No one at my doctor's office mentioned it -- just 70-120 grams of protein a day, and I've been taking in about 100 or slightly over, plus about 800 calories. My carbs haven't been super high, but they aren't the lowest (50-60/day so far). I'm wondering if I should lower that some?

(((HUGS))) to all going through this. It's tough, but it will be totally worth it! :success1:

I am on day 3 with surgery on Feb 9

2 Meditrim shake & 1 bar + 2 cups of veggies a day

Unlimited Jello, broth or anything sugar free

My stomach didn't growl as much today. But every night I go to bed hungry.

I am down 3.4 lbs. Me to I am a scale junkie!

Good luck!

Cheers,

Kristi

Hey you are ahead of me so yours may be the better option as I am down 5 lbs and today is the start of day 4. Don't get me wrong I am happy! Keep up the great work fellow bander! Have an awesome day! I am off to pilates.

Cheers,

Kristi (Kiskis)

I'm so happy i'm not the only scale junkie out there. I feel like I'm becoming obsessed with the thing!

I'm jealous of your diets! I havebto intake 80g of Protein per day

shakes, zero calorie drinks, Jello, & broth

It sucks but I'm down 8lbs in 4 days!!!

I am so glad to know that I'm not the only scale junkie! I know you are really only supposed to weigh once a week at the same time in the same clothing, but I just can't help myself. :scales: :scalesno:

:woot: You guys are doing great with your pre-op diets! I'm on day 3, and down 3.5 lbs. I *think* it's getting a little more bearable (just barely)...I feel fuller off of the shakes (even when mixed with water).

Do you all work? I do, and I haven't told any of my coworkers that I am going to be banded...today I had someone ask if I was on a "liquid diet" and she proceeded to lecture me on how that doesn't work. Ugh...it just reaffirmed why I haven't told them -- the few women I work with are perpetual dieters and critique everyone and the men don't really notice anything and definitely don't ask the women about dieting. LoL.

Just finished day three of the 14 day pre op diet unfortunately I don't get anything to chew on just the 5 Optifast shakes and 1/2 gallon of Water. It's getting better the hunger pangs are abating so the only thing thats a real bother is the need to be near a bathroom (this stuff is not stick to your ribs food :blink: if you know what I mean). I have noticed that food ads on TV are making me salivate and this is even for stuff I don't like :lol: . 11 more days of this to go and I have lost 7 pounds already, yepper near starvation is an efficient diet.

I am going to sneak a surgar free Jello and tell myself it's a steak. Do you guys think it'll work? Well I knew what I was getting into and I hope the reward is a healthier me even if I look like a Shar Pei in the process. Well, I am saving up my allowence for a possible Tummy Tuck down the line so, right now, my confidence level is high. Good luck to us all.

SharPei.jpg

I am on day 4 the hunger pains have gotten better. My diet isn't as strict I can have as much broth, Jello & zero-10 calorie items. I have been having Jello an broth to fill in between my 2 shakes and 1 bar. I don't understand why you can't have jello... anything 0-10 cal?

Yah I have to pee every 2 hours and sometimes more.

My goal right now is to get to the half way mark. I hope these next 13 days go by real quick!

When I watch tv what taped shows and fast forwad past all commercials.

Good job on the weight loss!

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

K

Just finished day three of the 14 day pre op diet unfortunately I don't get anything to chew on just the 5 Optifast shakes and 1/2 gallon of Water. It's getting better the hunger pangs are abating so the only thing thats a real bother is the need to be near a bathroom (this stuff is not stick to your ribs food :blink: if you know what I mean). I have noticed that food ads on TV are making me salivate and this is even for stuff I don't like :lol: . 11 more days of this to go and I have lost 7 pounds already, yepper near starvation is an efficient diet.

I am going to sneak a surgar free jello and tell myself it's a steak. Do you guys think it'll work? Well I knew what I was getting into and I hope the reward is a healthier me even if I look like a Shar Pei in the process. Well, I am saving up my allowence for a possible Tummy Tuck down the line so, right now, my confidence level is high. Good luck to us all.

SharPei.jpg

I work for myself so I don't get that person with my clients. I am a human resources consultant.

I haven't told many people. My parents don't know. Only a few know as I don't want people passing judgement... Or after asking how much have you lost?

After the surgery I will share with my family and some friends. We will see how things go. I have no problem sharing but once I am successful & know what it is like on the other side. My BFF had it done 8 years ao and lost 150 lbs.

Don't let people get you down! Rise above them.

Keep up the great work!

Have a great weekend!

K

I am so glad to know that I'm not the only scale junkie! I know you are really only supposed to weigh once a week at the same time in the same clothing, but I just can't help myself. :scales: :scalesno:

:woot: You guys are doing great with your pre-op diets! I'm on day 3, and down 3.5 lbs. I *think* it's getting a little more bearable (just barely)...I feel fuller off of the shakes (even when mixed with water).

Do you all work? I do, and I haven't told any of my coworkers that I am going to be banded...today I had someone ask if I was on a "liquid diet" and she proceeded to lecture me on how that doesn't work. Ugh...it just reaffirmed why I haven't told them -- the few women I work with are perpetual dieters and critique everyone and the men don't really notice anything and definitely don't ask the women about dieting. LoL.

I'm on day 4 and I haven't done very well at all! I've been making an effort but have been out of town in Chicago on business since last Monday - just returned last night. So I am hoping now that I am home it will be less easy to cheat! My Dr. requires a 10 day low carb diet to promote ketosis. I've failed thus far - going to stick to it from here on out!! Good luck to you all!!!

Into day 5 of Optifast and it's getting a little less hard to bare weight loss seems to be slowing down and my gut is basically empty except for some animal that growls a lot ;) . 9 days to go and I have developed ketosis breath that even I can detect. Peppermint toothpaste helps tone it down but ketosis breath comes as a byproduct of fat burning and comes out in your breath and also in your urine. It happens when you don't have redily available carbs to convert to glucose the stored fat is metabolized from the liver and from muscle first and then from those adipose tissue deposits we'er all trying to shrink down to somewhere near normal size. Once we can eat normal food even though in modest amounts the breath should return to normal. I have noticed good night kisses are a bit quicker than usual. :rolleyes: Good luck to all of us and I guess you all can expect those pangs of the first few days to wane as the body becomes used to less food coming in.

are there any of you NOT on a pre-op diet? I'm wondering if I will just get mine when I go for my pre-op appt on the 10th...but they haven't said anything about it yet! :unsure: Is it an insurance requirement? I'm self-pay.

KisKis ~ That's exactly how I feel! I just want to work on my new banded life with myself and get used to it -- I know that I'll lose, maybe gain, plateau, etc. -- but I don't want a lot of comments about it, because as with all weight loss regimens it will be hard. Like you, I'll probably let more people know after the fact. Btw, your BFF did awesome! Is she maintaining now? I can't wait to get there with all of you!! :D

Tom ~ You are doing awesome! I tried to "pretend" that my salad the other night was a big pile of nachos...it didn't work out so well for me. LoL. Scary enough, I'm finding that I look forward to the morning shake...either that, or I'm hallucinating. I haven't readily noticed ketosis, but something must be going on, because I've lost some. Just keeping my fingers crossed that I'll lose the 7 I need prior to surgery. Btw, I've got a monster in my tummy that complains a lot too! LoL . :D

Blondeej ~ I'm sure you'll do just fine! This weekend was tough for me...during the workweek I can set a routine and stick to it, but being at home on the weekend with the family makes it really tough!

TexasMama ~ I love your name! I am a Texas mom too (Houston-area). :) I've heard that some surgeons don't require a pre-op -- but that would be a good question for your doctor's office, since it does have relevance to the procedure. For me, it isn't an insurance requirement -- it's a requirement from my surgeon to make my liver more easy to deal with during the surgery.

Well, today is day 6 of my pre-op...according to the scale at home I'm down 6 (of course that's my "in the buff" weight). LoL. My pre-op consult with my doctor is Thursday. Do any of you have a list of questions that you are going to ask? I'm starting to compile one.

You all are doing great! Have a wonderful day and chat with you later!

KisKis ~ That's exactly how I feel! I just want to work on my new banded life with myself and get used to it -- I know that I'll lose, maybe gain, plateau, etc. -- but I don't want a lot of comments about it, because as with all weight loss regimens it will be hard. Like you, I'll probably let more people know after the fact. Btw, your BFF did awesome! Is she maintaining now? I can't wait to get there with all of you!! :D

Tom ~ You are doing awesome! I tried to "pretend" that my salad the other night was a big pile of nachos...it didn't work out so well for me. LoL. Scary enough, I'm finding that I look forward to the morning shake...either that, or I'm hallucinating. I haven't readily noticed ketosis, but something must be going on, because I've lost some. Just keeping my fingers crossed that I'll lose the 7 I need prior to surgery. Btw, I've got a monster in my tummy that complains a lot too! LoL . :D

Blondeej ~ I'm sure you'll do just fine! This weekend was tough for me...during the workweek I can set a routine and stick to it, but being at home on the weekend with the family makes it really tough!

TexasMama ~ I love your name! I am a Texas mom too (Houston-area). :) I've heard that some surgeons don't require a pre-op -- but that would be a good question for your doctor's office, since it does have relevance to the procedure. For me, it isn't an insurance requirement -- it's a requirement from my surgeon to make my liver more easy to deal with during the surgery.

Well, today is day 6 of my pre-op...according to the scale at home I'm down 6 (of course that's my "in the buff" weight). LoL. My pre-op consult with my doctor is Thursday. Do any of you have a list of questions that you are going to ask? I'm starting to compile one.

You all are doing great! Have a wonderful day and chat with you later!

Hey Elle! We came to San Antonio from Houston just over a year ago! Hubby and I both were raised there. We miss it soooo much, but we are enjoying San Antonio.

On day six of Optifast, real hungar pangs have relented thankfully. My bowels while still noisy have stopped making me feel like I just returned from a trip to Mexico eating what the natives eat. BTDT before :blink:. Ten days to go and I have meals till the 8th and my surgery is the 10th seems we missed a day or perhaps it's on purpose for pre-op. I meet the hospital team on 02/07/2011 and I'll see then.

It's funny though I am not excited, thrilled or anxious at this point, like everyone else here seems to be. I feel indifferent about it, like I am an observer not a participent, It's bewildering, I'm not feeling at all emotional about it. Perhaps next week, when it's closer, that'll change. :mellow::)

Elle,

I am a terrible list maker. If the items on your list aren't too personal, could you share them? It's always easier to inprove the wheel then to invent it. thanks :P

Been researching healthy meals that you make from scratch that don't take forever to make for when I finish with the mushie stage. This is a good site to check out:

http://www.everwell.com/recipes/

TexasMama ~ I love San Antonio -- I used to go there quite a bit. :) The people are so nice. What part of Houston did you live in? I'm in Clear Lake, and I've lived here for about 10 years.

Tom ~ I'll definitely post my list of questions for the pre-op consult. I'm going to work on it this evening, so I'll post it later tonight or tomorrow. :) What kinds of things do you think we'll have during our early phases -- clear liquid, liquid, and mushies? I know you have some experience with this. And, thanks for all of the recipe ideas -- it's a huge help!

Okay, question for all of you pre-op dieters -- do you feel low on energy? :sleep2: I have been tired...really tired, and pushing myself to work out has been difficult. So far I'm keeping to my 3 day a week Zumba, but I was hoping to bump up exercise to 5x's a week and that isn't happening right now.