Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lean Cusine and other frozen Pre made foods

Being filled, can you eat a lean cuisine? Or those healthy choice steamers? Do you think there good For you? Some have 15g of protien and 260 calories... But is it too much food? I'm currently unfilled

I eat them a couple of times a week. They are easy and some of them are pretty good. I think the only problem with them is a lot of them are high in sodium. I don't have a blood pressure problem but if you do you might want to be careful with them.

I had some left in my freezer from before surgery, I asked my nut about them the other day, she said I could, but no Pasta dishes or stuff like that. I decided today that as much as I used to et them because they were easy, I think I am better off eating "real food" so I threw them out today.

I used to keep one or two in the freezer as an emergency choice, but no longer. 1) too much sodium. Even though I have no b/p issues, I don't want to retain extra Water over a Lean Cuisine. 2) most have rice or Pasta or potatoes or such and I try very hard not to eat white starchy carbs.

If you want something to keep to fix in a hurry, look at the Contessa brand on the stove meals. There's one that's just chicken and veggies. If you leave out the sauce or put the sauce on the side for others to add as desired, the Contessa is very healthy. And there's another one that has Rice, but the rice is packaged separately so you don't have to use it unless you want.

I also found something recently called "Skinny Chix" which is unbreaded chicken nuggets with sauce.. again the sauce is separate and can be used or not as desired.

I don't have a problem with em. I live alone, it's hard to make great custom meals every night. But, we eat so little I want my dinner to be GOOD!

I don't know if you have Fresh & Easy but they have a lot of fresh refrigerated pre-made meals and they are good, they have some low-cal ones. I got a shrimp Pasta one today and it only has 260 calories.

I second that they are'nt that great Protein wise. If you are looking for 60-90 grams protein you need 20+ g per meal. I once read on the Lean Cuisine website that they consider them part of a balance meal. So basically they expect you to have a veggie or fruit on the side to make them meet nutrional standards. Do I think they are okay in the event of a emergency sure.

I am a college student and I don't really cook at all. Every dinner I eat is a Lean Cuisine. They have 'spa' options which to me seem like less carbs and more veggies. Also Wal-Mart just started making frozen dinners which are comparable to Lean Cuisines and almost a dollar cheaper. I think they taste really good, but it is always better when I go home and can have some real food.< /p>

Sam

I don't have a problem with em. I live alone, it's hard to make great custom meals every night. But, we eat so little I want my dinner to be GOOD!

I don't know if you have Fresh & Easy but they have a lot of fresh refrigerated pre-made meals and they are good, they have some low-cal ones. I got a shrimp Pasta one today and it only has 260 calories.

I love Fresh and Easy meals. I get the Salmon with Dijon mustard. I give the potatoes to the birds. When i was at the puree stage I bought the Shepard Pie and pureed it. It was good, but too spicy for my baby stomach.

I also pick up the Lean Cuisine/Weight Watcher meals when they are on sale. Again, I give the rice, potatoes etc to my birds. I have chickens and peacocks so nothing goes to waste.

I always keep a few in the freezer just in case I don't make it to the grocery store or if I am in a hurry and need something quick & easy. The portion is big - I usually only eat 1/2-3/4 of one.

FYI lean cuisine also makes a couple flavors in a larger size. You might actually be able to get enough Protein from them as there is just more food in there. And you can just throw away extra Pasta or rice.

I have had 3 fills and can eat a whole one, Pasta and all! I take them to work when I dont have any leftovers from the night before. Its much better than grabbing a fast food alternative.

I still have a couple Lean Cuisine's in my freezer for emergencies - and I do occasionally eat the ones with pasta/noodles in them, but I haven't found any that taste as good as fresh food. They are relatively high in sodium, more than likely loaded with preservatives and not that great in Protein. However, in a pinch - I do eat one.

I prepare alot of meals for myself also since hubby eats when he gets home. If you get by a grocery store and see any chicken on special (breasts, thighs, legs). Get a couple of packages, rinse them off, put them in a slow-cooker with a can of fat-free cream of chicken Soup for about 6-8 hours. Take all the meat off the bones (it should just fall off) and then freeze the leftovers in little containers. That way you have something quick, relatively healthy and can add whatever "side" you want with it. Just a thought. This way makes the chicken very moist (if you have problems with chicken) and tender. Then you can also use to make chicken salad, put on top of salads, for dips, etc.

It's hard cooking for one - but don't always think about just 1 meal. Leftovers can be good and don't have to take a bunch of time to prepare. You may want to consider investing in a vacuum sealer if you do this - helps to keep your frozen foods some shelf life.

Good luck!

Processed food is no good for you. Learning to cook appropriately - and healthy cooking can be simple, quick and cheap - is a vital skill if you're going to keep weight off forever. I mean, how difficult is it to grill a steak and make a small salad? If you are organised with your shopping and have the food to hand then it takes no longer than a lean cuisine takes in the microwave anyhow. And if you need freezer food, which everyone does, then you could cook in batches and freeze in appropriate portions.

But I think everyone has a few Lean Cuisines in their freezer, I know I do, and it wont hurt you in moderation. But they're not an everyday food - too high in salt and additives. The Portion Control and ease of knowing calories is attractive, but you'll feel better if you eat fresh.

It's hard cooking for one - but don't always think about just 1 meal. Leftovers can be good and don't have to take a bunch of time to prepare. You may want to consider investing in a vacuum sealer if you do this - helps to keep your frozen foods some shelf life.

Good luck!

I hate to cook, so when I cook something I always make a large amount. I live alone, so when I make food, I just weigh it out and put it in tupperware and in the freezer it goes. So when I need a meal, I have my Protein already made, just have to defrost, and just add a veggie and I have my meal. I found a turkey breast at pathmark, it has no bone just the meat, it takes about 1.5-2 hrs to cook and I cut it up and weighed it out, now I have enough for 8 meals in the freezer. I just need to come up with different meal ideas.