Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weight loss & lose skin after surgery

Hi Guys

I am having my surgery done on the 25th of february, I am so scared!!!

Also I was wondering after how long roughly would it take for me to start losing weight , Have any of you experience lose skin ?

Thanks

sunshine

Some people lose fast, some slow, some right away, some not until solids at 5 weeks or after, some wont lose until they have a good fill, some get loose skin and some don't. Sorry to say we are all different. No cookie cutters here. :) Try not to worry so much about all the what if's and just do your best to make your own healthiest choices every day. That is all any of us can do. :)

Good luck!

In 9/08 I started to exercise daily and progressively improved my food choices. From then through presurgery and after I have lost 109 pounds; with 27 since surgery in 8/10. Personally I think those shows on TV that have someone with huge pieces of extra skin are questionable. MOST people don't end up like that; which is why people that do go on TV. Is sensational. Okay off my soap box. I don't have excess skin at all. Admittedly I need to lose another 100 so my ideal could be a bit off.

Everyone loses weight at different speeds. I don't want to discourage anyone but some people like myself are slow loosers. I follow my doctors orders (measure out 3 oz of Protein per meal), eat healthy foods, AND exercise every day for an hour. I have lost an average of 1 pound per week. Today was my 6th fill now at 10 CC's in 11 CC band; and really really really hope this will brings restriction.

I don't think doctors really emphasize enough that it can take a while for you to see significant loss; probably until you reach restriction. I think I have been slower because I was already dieting and exercising before surgery so my body was not shocked by a huge change in eating habits.

HI I,M NEW HERE AND VERY EXCITED,APPREHENSIVE, AND FRUSTRATED. I'M SO INTERESTED IN ACCOMLPLISHING MY GOAL. FRUSTRATED THAT I HAVE TO WAIT 6MONTHS BEFORE I CAN HAVE THE SURGERY, D/T INSURANCE REASONS, I REALLY WANT TO SEE RESULTS WITH EXERCISE AND THE BAND TOGETHER, THAT WILL KEEP ME MOTIVATED. LASTLY, I DON'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE A SKELETON, LIKE THOSE WHO HAVE HAD THE GASTRIC BYPASS THAT LOOK SICKLY.

Hi Guys

I am having my surgery done on the 25th of february, I am so scared!!!

Also I was wondering after how long roughly would it take for me to start losing weight , Have any of you experience lose skin ?

Thanks

sunshine

Here's the best advice I can give you. Keep your Protein intake up (70-80 grams/day) and do strength exercises along with cardio to try and tone up. I am at my ultimate goal weight and yes, I have some effects of being overweight. If I put my arms a certain way, it looks like I have crepe paper under my arms. But that said, with the strength machines I use, I would still wear a tank top (and have) or sleeveless dress because it probably bothers me more than other people (they probably don't even notice. My legs - well let's just say I won't ever wear shorts out in public again. But overall I look pretty damn good in clothes and I feel great. So, if you're relatively young, you have the advantage of better elasticity than I (in my mid-forties). I've lost around 155 lbs or so - so I'm less than half the weight I used to be.

But all in all - I wouldn't trade the way I look and feel now for all the cheesecake in the world compared to what I used to look and feel like. Don't worry so much about loose skin. If it bothers you that much, there are things that can be done if you want if bad enough. Focus on getting healthy and having given yourself the gift of several more quality years of life by taking responsibility for your health and well-being. And the best of luck to all of you!

I am NOT a patient waiter. Due to preexisting health issue I had to wait 8.5 months for the surgery. This 6 month period is a great time for you to learn new eating habits. Even with exercise the band can not help you if you make bad food choices. Now is the time to create a new reality. When you go out for Breakfast order an egg beater omlet, veggies, no cheese instead of fried eggs with buttered toast. You know what it's not that bad.

Also check out different exercise classes, cardio machines, or swimming. Find exercise that you are willing to do 5 days a week. Personally I shoot for 7 and really push my self to go. Lately we've had horrible weather and I've had to do snow removal instead of going to the gym. Am I still getting exercise? You better believe it! But I realllly miss not swimming.

Another thing is you'd be amazed how much money you save not eating out. Admittedly the food I buy can be expensive; but it's no were near what I used to spend eating out.

You will read on here time and time again the band is a tool not a magic wand. SO TRUE. Plan on the band just being another aspect of a new healthier life. I'm not saying you can never have a cookie or piece off birthday cake again; they will just not be center pieces to your eating plan.