Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Banded due to health conditions vs very high bmi?

I just wondered if anyone is in the same boat as me? Here is the situation, I have been overweight FOR EVER since I was about in 2nd grade, But in the bast 5 years or so, my health has really gotten bad. High Cholesterol (since 18) High blood pressure in the last year and diabetes in the last year as well. Joint issues especially with my knees. My bmi was in the obese range. (and had in the past jumped up beyond that) But recently not necessarily what is "required" for lap-band.

So I was wondering if there was anyone else like me, with not a huge amount of weight to lose, but focusing more on the health issues?

I know my weight won't drop as fast as those that have a lot more to lose. But I wonder how long before some of these health issues start resolving themselves with the band?

I am 1 week and 2 days post op (jan 14th) and I keep second guessing myself, was this the right thing to do? My mind keeps flip flopping, but what keeps me believing that I did, is that I will be around to watch my girls grow up. I am only 38 and feel that I was falling apart way faster than I should, I was robbing myself and my children.

I love reading the boards, and learning about all of everyone's successes and struggles. But I wondered if there was anyone out there like me?

:rolleyes:

I just wondered if anyone is in the same boat as me? Here is the situation, I have been overweight FOR EVER since I was about in 2nd grade, But in the bast 5 years or so, my health has really gotten bad. High Cholesterol (since 18) High blood pressure in the last year and diabetes in the last year as well. Joint issues especially with my knees. My bmi was in the obese range. (and had in the past jumped up beyond that) But recently not necessarily what is "required" for lap-band.

So I was wondering if there was anyone else like me, with not a huge amount of weight to lose, but focusing more on the health issues?

I know my weight won't drop as fast as those that have a lot more to lose. But I wonder how long before some of these health issues start resolving themselves with the band?

I am 1 week and 2 days post op (jan 14th) and I keep second guessing myself, was this the right thing to do? My mind keeps flip flopping, but what keeps me believing that I did, is that I will be around to watch my girls grow up. I am only 38 and feel that I was falling apart way faster than I should, I was robbing myself and my children.

I love reading the boards, and learning about all of everyone's successes and struggles. But I wondered if there was anyone out there like me?

:rolleyes:

What was your BMI to start with? Mine was 36 so I was on the borderline but like you I'm only 31 and my body is falling apart. I have arthritis in my knees, sleep apnea, GERD, high blood pressure and etc. I've been overweight since I was in high school. My insurance covered mine but only b/c my health conditions were so bad.

I've never once regretted my decision. I do get those comments from my friends though. They don't think I'm fat enough for surgery and I took the easy weight out but then they are not in my body and experiencing the knee pain, poor sleep and etc that I'm dealing with. This is not the easy way out at all but for me I felt like it was my best bet for getting the weight off.

I was about 32 bmi, but my insurance would not cover it even with my health conditions. To get to a healthy bmi I have about 60lbs or so (maybe that's more "ideal") i guess 50-60 would be better phrased. I just feel sort of guilty going through all this.

and the insecurity of did I just try to get the easy way out? And I know the answer is No because this has been a battle my whole life.

my bmi was over 40. but i really started looking into the lapband because both of my knees are blown out. no cartilege. i have broken both of my ankles. my blood pressure was steadily climbing. my cholesterol was beginning to look bad also. i was also afraid of adult onset of diabetes. so my health issues were my first concern more than my bmi. i am glad i had it done. down 30+ pounds and feeling better everyday.:D

Well Allergan the makers of Lap Band are currently trying to get the FDA to approve the band for people with a BMI of 30 WITH other health conditions. If they can get this approval then hopefully more insurance companies will cover it also. I think you did the right thing. My own surgeon says anyone with a BMI of at least 30 is a great candidate. Don't feel guilty. I did at first but I don't now. I couldn't be happier.

I read that somewhere, that they were lowering the limit to 35 but to 30 with health conditions.

I think, I will keep it positive in my head. I don't know how much worse things could have gotten if I hadn't done this.

I want to be around for my girls. (ps that baby is sooo cute)

The reality is that the FDA has nothing to do with it. Anyone can get a lapband no matter what their bmi is, as long as they are self-pay. Insurance companies could cover the surgery now for low bmi patients if they wanted but it won't be until they finally understand that you don't have to wait until the person has a high bmi to do something about it. Then again, insurance in the U.S. has never been about preventative care.

I wish the band had been available when I was 25 years old and 180 pounds.

Hi Lunita,

I have a very similar situation as you. My BMI was about 38.5 but I have has high blood pressure, high cholesterol, GERD, NASH (fatty liver disease) and sleep apnea and have been on medication for all of these to help control them somewhat. I am 41 with 2 daughters in elementary school and I want nothing more than to be healthy so I can enjoy activities with my family and live to see them grow up.

I had a very difficult time with the insurance company and it took almost one year to get approval after several appeal denials primarily due to my BMI going below 35 at one point in June of 2008. (I was one pound below 35BMI). In any case I am 4 weeks post op and I feel better than I have in years.

I think you have done a great thing for yourself and family. A healthy, happy Mom being there and sharing life with her children is a very unselfish gift to give to the family.

Good Luck to you. Keep up the good work.

Lunita ~ Your post is almost exactly my story. I am in my late 30s and was just diagnosed with diabetes (for the last few years, I have been pre-diabetic and insulin resistant -- that was discovered with my first pregnancy and gestational diabetes). On top of that, I also have high blood pressure (not extremely high, but above normal) and cholesterol issues (stemming from the diabetes).

I am going to be banded on 02/10 for myself and my kids. As much as I try to keep up with my kids, the excess weight keeps me from enjoying myself -- and the onset of the health problems has made me realize that a total life change is the best thing for me. I don't want to have to take prescription medications to help with issues that are within my realm of control to change (by losing weight)...it's selfish not only to me, but for my kids. I want to be there to participate in their growing up, and live to be old enough for grandchildren.

(((HUGS))) There are quite a few of us working for life improvement...it's hard and it will be hard, but I think the payout is worth every bit of it.