Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 3yrs out, ALL fluid removed, scale going +

So we moved to CA a few months ago, and before we left I had my doc do another small fill. Solid Proteins got stuck A LOT. My weighloss was at a standstill. I have two small kids and a crazy life being a military spouse. What i was starting to do, was make poorer food choices, choices I knew wouldn't gimme problems, bc I just dont have time to be sliming for 20 minutes at the grocery store. So this has been since May.

Fast forward to now, I hired a trainer bc the weight needs to come off. As I told her what I could eat, she's like "NO" I'm not training you like this and you can't even eat healthy stuff I'm telling you to eat. It;s pointless. So i went and had all the Fluid taken out bc I needed a break. (I do plan on getting some put back in, it's only been a week) I can now make healthy food choices. I can go to Subway and eat turkey on wheat. I'm writing everything down and it's been really good. SO WHY IN THE HELL am I GAINING weight? Some say that bc my body has been in starvation mode, it's hanging on to all this food. REALLY? STILL? What do you guys think? I'm so damn frustrated I could scream! My bros wedding is end of March, and my dress is too tight. At this rate I wont be able to be in the wedding! My trainer says to be patient, I'm done being patient!!!! HELP!

Hey how many calories are you eating daily, from what I here anything under 1200 your body goes into starvation and you will hang on to every pound. Good Luck!

I don't really believe in starvation mode (and I especially don't believe in it for those of us that are overweight or obese). If you are burning more than you're consuming you will lose weight (a lot of people on LBT disagree with that scientific principal...I'm sure someone is going to voice their opinion about calories in vs calories out any minute ('opinion' being the operative word)....but its science...its just the way things work). How many calories do you consume a day? What is your exercise like? I eat between 800-1000 calories a day. I'm pretty short and somedays (aside from exercise during which I usually burn anywhere from 800-1300 calories a day which gives me the extra weight loss boost that I want) I only burn 1400-1500 calories. I lose anywhere between 1.5-5 pound a week (with an average over many weeks of about 2.8-3 pounds per week). But I log my food pretty anally and I exercise religiously (you don't need to exercise in order to lose weight, but if you do, the weight will come off faster as you're burning many more calories a day than you would without it, and I find that my body looks better with exercise. I'm starting to have a waist, the top of me is pretty narrow, etc).

As far as your trainer, she doesn't sound very supportive. I turn in food logs to my trainer every week. He understands that I deal with compulsive eating issues (which I'm in therapy for) and he just wants to help me. And he especially wants to see my logs when they're not as great as they could've been. He's obviously not a therapist, but he wants to support me however he can. So maybe seek out a different trainer.

Also, have you changed the balance of macro nutrients in your diet since your unfill? Were you eating no-carbs prior to being unfilled and now have gone back to carbs? I'm not a carb-free bandster (or anything-free...I just eat a balanced diet including Protein, carbs and fat), but if you recently started eating carbs, you may be retaining Fluid (carbs do that). Also, if its only been a week since your weight started going up, I wouldnt worry too much about it. In a period of 7 days, my weight can fluctuate up and down 6-7 pounds. That's what makes scale weight tricky - its not really the entire picture. So if its been 4 months and you're steadily gaining weight, that would be something to look into. But if the scale has gone up a pound or two in the past 7 days, thats pretty normal (especially if you have adjusted your diet differently).

I've def started adding carbs back in. But not white bread. For instance I wouldn't have been able to eat those 100 cal sandwich thins from sara lee. and now I can, i put reduced fat cheese, 4 pieces of turkey, Tomato, light mayo, and mustard and a tad of red wine vinegar. Look, I believe in the band for some people. Obviously it's work for some. But not being able to eat a variety of healthy foods like whole grain bread EVER, is kinda stupid to me now. Like, WHY? I remember when I was first out from surgery and I has a bit of restriction, I lost way more. I was able to still eat but not OVER eat. Then I got greedy and wanted more Fluid, and thats wen the problems started

I've def started adding carbs back in. But not white bread. For instance I wouldn't have been able to eat those 100 cal sandwich thins from sara lee. and now I can, i put reduced fat cheese, 4 pieces of turkey, Tomato, light mayo, and mustard and a tad of red wine vinegar. Look, I believe in the band for some people. Obviously it's work for some. But not being able to eat a variety of healthy foods like whole grain bread EVER, is kinda stupid to me now. Like, WHY? I remember when I was first out from surgery and I has a bit of restriction, I lost way more. I was able to still eat but not OVER eat. Then I got greedy and wanted more Fluid, and thats wen the problems started

That is definitely something I needed to learn throughout this process. I was where you were last summer. I could barely eat any solid food and subsisted on smoothies and chili. I lost some weight, but I knew I couldn't live like that. I had about .5 removed and then I could again and I actually lost more weight. I'm sorry that's not happening for you at the moment, but I actually think it will. Sometimes, when I change up my exercise routine, I actually gain weight for a week or so. It's sort of like my body didn't like the change. I think you are right to have your fill removed, but maybe you just needed a small unfill. At the level I am at now, I can eat bread (whole grain and toasted!), meat and veggies. I think it's a much better way to live long term. I think you can have your band and eat normally without gaining weight. The trick is to find the balance in everything. I'm still working on it, too.

I know none of this helps you right now, with wanting to get into the dress for the wedding. If you have a couple of weeks, I'd stick with what you're doing. I think things will turn around. If you're in a really big hurry, your best bet is probably to go low carb. I don't think it's a good choice long term, but it does work quickly.

Cindy

I want to offer some advice- maybe try staying away from places that make food and prepare it yourself...Subway is not as healthy as we think- that is marketing. They add stuff to their bread and that meat is processed. Try eating clean, like steel cut oatmeal in the a.m. with cinnamon (it reguates insulin and controls hunger) and you can have greek yogurt too. The rest of the day just try to eat fruit, veggies, you can put a butternut squash in the oven and then scoop out the insides and mash it- and it's delicious and very filling. Sweet potatoes are yummy too. You also get more nutrients and Vitamins.

Stay away from canned food and processed food - all canned food is lined with a chemical called BPA - it is an endorcrine disruptor and messes up your body

never warm up anything in plastic.... plastic is very bad too and does the same thing- fatty foods and acidic foods like Tomato sauce cause the chemical to leach. I think I even read somewhere that Subway's pans are lined with something that is toxic to the food.