Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Problem with doctor

What happens when one is at the mercy of one's doctor and there is only insults heaped onto insults involved on one's road to recovery?

What happens when one is at the mercy of one's doctor and there is only insults heaped onto insults involved on one's road to recovery?

You find another doctor. No one should be subjected to insults. You are in this for the long haul and will depend on your doctor to be a partner in your progress. If he insults you he is not only unprofessional but also someone who will blame you for every problem you have post-op.

My former doctor was an idiot and inexperienced to boot. It became obvious to me that he lacked in post-op skills - like how to do fills, reasonable weight loss expectations, etc.. I got the come to Jesus talk from him. All of his inadequicies became even more apparent when I took all my test results to an experienced bariatric doctor at a center on excellence. He told me I had a different size band (4cc) than what I was told by my former doctor (10cc) and he was very impressed with my weight loss (unlike my former doctor). What a difference.

You owe it to yourself to find another doctor, even if you have to travel. Barring that, then you need to have a come to Jesus talk with this doctor and tell him you will not tolerate being insulted and will report him for unethical behavior if he continues. You need to be very specific about how you expect to be treated. Doctors are not very receptive to this, however.

I also suggest that you ask for copies of all tests you had done pre-and post-op, including, and especially, your operative report. It is very important that you have these.

Good luck.

If you have a Bariatric Center of Excellence near you - that would be the way to go, in my opinion.

I honestly believe that the skill of my surgeon made a huge difference in my pre-op care, post-op recovery and I expect my weight loss as well to be consistent. I seriously had minimal pain after surgery - not even gas pain.

Remember the doctor works for you and not vice versa, you can fire him if you like!rolleyes.gif

If you have a Bariatric Center of Excellence near you - that would be the way to go, in my opinion.

I honestly believe that the skill of my surgeon made a huge difference in my pre-op care, post-op recovery and I expect my weight loss as well to be consistent. I seriously had minimal pain after surgery - not even gas pain.

New doctor! Find one who is encouraging, a good listener, and willing to help and support you when you hit a road bump.

I agree with everyone here, Especially Cleo's Mom,.....

Except for one thing...Tell us a little about what the experience was; what has made you so upset?

It may very well be a case of "Idiot Surgeon".....but, if is this simply a situation where he/she is telling you something you Don't want to hear, well....That's different.

There are situations where patients do NOT follow the rules, and when the Surgeon calls them on it, the patient accuses the doctor of not being sensitive, or abusive or something else. I am not suggesting that this is the case here, but I have seen that happen many times. It has been discussed on this board before.

These is no one more disdainful of self-righteous and arrogant surgeons than I. There are plenty of jerks and quacks out there that are only in it to soak up the rewards from the inusrance companies. I have been in litigation myself with an idiot surgeon who made a mess out of my situation as well, so I do understand the problem.'

But...You need to be certain that you are being realistic about the circumstances you are in, and that you are being honest with both your Surgeon AND yourself.

And I bring this up only because you didn't give any details on what happened. Please tell us, and maybe someone here can give you some additional advice....

S.

Since you brought this up, here is a comment on the COE:

I'm not all that certain that I would put a whole lot of weight on the "Center of Excellence" designation.

The reason for this is that they are, essentially, a "Trade Organization". It serves to promote the interests of the bariatric surgery INDUSTRY, and that is not always a good thing for the consumer. The Surgical Review Corporation, the "parent" of the COE program, is offering the COE designation to Surgical facilities that meet certain criteria, and I'm not all that sure that the criteria is that rigid.

One of the requirements to be designated a COE is that you give them MONEY. LOTS of Money.

One other requirement is that the Surgical facility must perform a minimum of 125 bariatric Surgeries a year. Now, for one experienced surgeon, 125 surgeries a year is not very much at all. BUT, the problem is that their requirement states that only the FACILITY has to have that volume. If they have 5 surgeons in the practice, then to maintain their designation each one only has to perform 25 surgeries in a year. The designation is given per FACILITY, and not per SURGEON. It could, conceivably, be a training ground for "rookie" surgeons, and I would NOT feel comfortable with that.

S.

You find another doctor. No one should be subjected to insults. You are in this for the long haul and will depend on your doctor to be a partner in your progress. If he insults you he is not only unprofessional but also someone who will blame you for every problem you have post-op.

My former doctor was an idiot and inexperienced to boot. It became obvious to me that he lacked in post-op skills - like how to do fills, reasonable weight loss expectations, etc.. I got the come to Jesus talk from him. All of his inadequicies became even more apparent when I took all my test results to an experienced bariatric doctor at a center on excellence. He told me I had a different size band (4cc) than what I was told by my former doctor (10cc) and he was very impressed with my weight loss (unlike my former doctor). What a difference.

You owe it to yourself to find another doctor, even if you have to travel. Barring that, then you need to have a come to Jesus talk with this doctor and tell him you will not tolerate being insulted and will report him for unethical behavior if he continues. You need to be very specific about how you expect to be treated. Doctors are not very receptive to this, however.

I also suggest that you ask for copies of all tests you had done pre-and post-op, including, and especially, your operative report. It is very important that you have these.

Good luck.

The problem I am having is no doctor will help me since they did not install the Band orignally. I have called every place I know for help. As a result I have gained about 20 pounds back. I feel like a failure. After my last visit to my doctor I drifted into a state of depression. I am finally coming out of it thanks to some professional help. I know how great the Band can be when it is properly filled.Thats the problem I haven't been able to get a good fill for months. I just feel lost.

The problem I am having is no doctor will help me since they did not install the Band orignally. I have called every place I know for help. As a result I have gained about 20 pounds back. I feel like a failure. After my last visit to my doctor I drifted into a state of depression. I am finally coming out of it thanks to some professional help. I know how great the Band can be when it is properly filled.Thats the problem I haven't been able to get a good fill for months. I just feel lost.

Does your doctor have a partner that you can switch to? Or other doctors in your hospital that do this surgery? You might also consult with the counselor/psych evaluator at the hospital/center at which you had the surgery. Did you have to have a psych evaluation prior to surgery? It sounds like you have some emotional issues that might be resolved with counseling. Is the surgeon who did your surgery also a general surgeon who maintains a general surgery practice (e.g. removes gall bladders, etc..)? Just curious. Mine former one was. Maybe you could meet with the nutritionist and explain your problem. You might get some help there, too. They've seen it all and are aware people gain weight back and can help you get back on track. And why can't you get a fill for months?

I am so sorry you are having such issues. I feel very fortunate, I love my surgeon and have had great experience with the Bariatric team. I have a friend, who went to the same surgeon, same team, and her experience was not as positive.

I would look for a bariatric program affiliated with a large hospital or a teaching hospital. You mau have better luck.

Did your insurance pay for the surgery? If so, you might consider complaining to the insurance company--they might be able to get you into a new doc.