Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got my band last Thursday, and have been following this forum as I recover. I went to the age "60" forum, and although there are a few posts, nothing is very current. Am I the only old lady doing this? I'd love to hear from others my age. What was your motivation to do this? What are you expectations? I would like to converse with people my age to see if we're sharing similar or different experiences. We could encourage each other and share tips and advice.

I live alone, and I'd like company on this journey=a cyber support group. I hope someone is interested.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi, I am not yet banded - my date is 2/28/11. I will be 60 3/27/11. I too would like to correspond with other banders in my age group as I think we may have a bit of a different experience than younger folks, like slower weight loss for example. I actually did not want a band, I wanted a sleeve but my insurance policy only covers the band so I have no choice. I was very disappointed at first but have decided to go with the flow, keep a positive attitude and work my band for all it's worth. I too live alone - well, not counting my two cats!! I do have a sweetheart but we mostly see each other on the weekends. In the evenings after work I have lots of free time to be on line so cyber support for me will be my main support and much appreciated.

I got my band last Thursday, and have been following this forum as I recover. I went to the age "60" forum, and although there are a few posts, nothing is very current. Am I the only old lady doing this? I'd love to hear from others my age. What was your motivation to do this? What are you expectations? I would like to converse with people my age to see if we're sharing similar or different experiences. We could encourage each other and share tips and advice.

I live alone, and I'd like company on this journey=a cyber support group. I hope someone is interested.

It's nice to meet you. I'm sorry you didn't get the surgery you wanted. I chose banding because it can be reversed should I get sick and be unable to eat. I think it was the right choice for me, and like you--I plan to work the band too. The surgery wasn't too bad. I've have two other laproscopic procedures before, and this one was worse than the others, but I think that's because I'm older. If you have any questions I can answer for you, I'm an open book.

I've got a 15 year old cat who's my baby. Congrats on the sweetie. I'm a widow and miss my hubby. Maybe I can try again later down the road!

Looking forward to hearing from you and others.

Hi, I am not yet banded - my date is 2/28/11. I will be 60 3/27/11. I too would like to correspond with other banders in my age group as I think we may have a bit of a different experience than younger folks, like slower weight loss for example. I actually did not want a band, I wanted a sleeve but my insurance policy only covers the band so I have no choice. I was very disappointed at first but have decided to go with the flow, keep a positive attitude and work my band for all it's worth. I too live alone - well, not counting my two cats!! I do have a sweetheart but we mostly see each other on the weekends. In the evenings after work I have lots of free time to be on line so cyber support for me will be my main support and much appreciated.

Hi girls. I too am one of the older ones at 65. I had my surgery Nov.30, 2010. Since I started this journey with my Dr. on Sept. 30th last year I have lost 41 lbs. Medicare made me lose 20 lbs. before my surgery, which I did. By Dec. 6th at my first Dr. appointment post-op I was down 31 lbs. and on Jan. 4th when I went in for my first fill I was down another 11 lbs. so I wasn't given a fill. I was thrilled. I go back to my Dr. Feb. 22nd to see if I can get a fill then. So far I have felt great. I got to go back to the gym today to start back on my resistance training and I walk most days or get on my Gazelle. I haven't had any troubles at all and I have had one of my high blood pressure meds taken away. I have been overweight since the birth of my second child. Of course I have dieted and I have lost a lot of weight, but I have never been able to keep it off. I have wonderful grandchildren and a beautiful great-granddaughter who is with me a lot and I have missed out on so much with her because I can't get down on the floor to play with her or chase after her. I finally decided a year ago it was time to change my life if I was going to have a life worth living so here I am after much soul searching and much research. I will try to answer any questions and will hope to get a lot of feedback from others. Good luck.

Hi there,

I too am looking for some support and will be 60 this year. I will be banded on Feb 14th. I do live alone and no pets. Darn allergies.... I have been divorced for 20 years and have not been in any relationship in 5 years. I am so looking forward to this life change for healty reasons but also mental. It the mental/emotions that I'm worried about the most. Kinda that fear of the unknown.

I just found this site tonight and look forward to chatting you some more and having a supportive place to visit where people understand what your going through.

Lovequilts

Hello Ladies I was happy to see all of you hear, This could be such a great support for all of us I to look forward to being able to share my journey.I will be 60, 03/17 as well I am a widow.have also been in a relationship but know it has gone as far as it is going.. I'm just ready for a change, I want to feel good about myself again,and enjoy doing things again, My weight & health issues have really reduced my mobility.. just want to try & start a happier fuller life..I to have medicare,so I may not be getting surgery as quick as I hoped. I did not understand they made you lose weight first.. but I guess they all have criteria we have to meet.I so hope to be able to share this journey that all of us are begining..Best of luck to each & every one of you !! Hope to hear from you all soon it does help to share with others going thru the same thing & all of us being so close in age seems Ideal !

Thankfull you started this post,Debbie :rolleyes:

I just turned 65 and am being banded in a week and a half. Wish i'd done it sooner. The idea of permanent change in my behavior around food slowed me down. Now I'm psyched. I'm new to blogging, too. My surgeon's practice requires us to go on a Protein shake and vegetable diet two weeks in advance (to shrink our livers) so that's what i'm doing now. I've lost over 9 pounds in 5 days and that has encouraged me. Too many things begin breaking down when you're over 60 and are diabetic, arthritic, and hypertensive. Basically i want to live longer and less miserably. I expect to explore the wonderful world of blogging as i take this journey.

Bo-Less

Ladies!

How nice to come home from work and find your messages. I don't know how to reply all--so I'm going to hop in and out of conversations. This is addressed to all!

It's amazing how losing mobility will have you "two-stepping" it into the surgeon's office. Mo Grandma, I'm impressed with your progress both with weight loss and getting to the gym!

Like Mo.Grandma, I had my "moment of clarity" when I was at my son's house, and I couldn't carry the baby up the stairs. Well, I could barely get my own big self up the stairs. I've been plagued with a bad knee, sciatica, and back pain which my orthopedist promises will get better as I lose weight.

I lost about 40 pounds a couple of years ago doing Atkins. I regained about 15 of those after my husband died, and I could see the path before me, as pounds would creep up unbidden. This Christmas I had a marathon eatathon and ate enough candy covered pretzels to gain 8 pounds over a long weekend.

I just plain got tired of it.

Now, having had the surgery and returned to work, I think I can see the biggest stumbling block. Like an alcoholic, food was my addiction. What am I going to do with the time I used to spend, planning, shopping, preparing, eating, and cleaning up after dinner? So, I'm collecting recipes and cutting down the proportions to 1/2 to 1 Cup per meal.

What are you guys doing?

Oh, my name is Nicki. I've got to get one of those cute ticker things to put at the bottom of my posts! Cute--geeze, I haven't felt cute in a hundred years!

Hi girls. I too am one of the older ones at 65. I had my surgery Nov.30, 2010. Since I started this journey with my Dr. on Sept. 30th last year I have lost 41 lbs. Medicare made me lose 20 lbs. before my surgery, which I did. By Dec. 6th at my first Dr. appointment post-op I was down 31 lbs. and on Jan. 4th when I went in for my first fill I was down another 11 lbs. so I wasn't given a fill. I was thrilled. I go back to my Dr. Feb. 22nd to see if I can get a fill then. So far I have felt great. I got to go back to the gym today to start back on my resistance training and I walk most days or get on my Gazelle. I haven't had any troubles at all and I have had one of my high blood pressure meds taken away. I have been overweight since the birth of my second child. Of course I have dieted and I have lost a lot of weight, but I have never been able to keep it off. I have wonderful grandchildren and a beautiful great-granddaughter who is with me a lot and I have missed out on so much with her because I can't get down on the floor to play with her or chase after her. I finally decided a year ago it was time to change my life if I was going to have a life worth living so here I am after much soul searching and much research. I will try to answer any questions and will hope to get a lot of feedback from others. Good luck.

Bo-Less,

Please share your blog--or if you're already sharing it, tell me where to find it. You're absolutely right in saying that this is a quality of life issue. My mother is 88 and weighs 106lbs. I looked at her and tried to imagine myself at that age, this weight. It simply didn't compute. I don't know that I've ever actually seen an obese 88 year old. That got me thinking. I might have another 28 years on this old Earth, how do I want to spend them? Unable to walk or do things?

No, I think I'll get thinner (not counting on thin) and go hiking for the first time ever. Who knows--I just know this isn't living.

I wish I had done this sooner on-the-one-hand; on the other, I'm glad they worked all the kinks out of the surgery before I got mine done. I went in confident (well a little nervous, the term "put to sleep" is a little unsettling) and came out intact mentally and physically. Something I think about before surgery!

The pre-op diet is a bit of a drag. I was lucky in that I had two shakes a day and one small low carb meal at night, so it was do-able. However, I didn't have the big weight loss you did, so congrats!

Alright ladies, Onward and downward-weight wise!

Nicki

I just turned 65 and am being banded in a week and a half. Wish i'd done it sooner. The idea of permanent change in my behavior around food slowed me down. Now I'm psyched. I'm new to blogging, too. My surgeon's practice requires us to go on a Protein shake and vegetable diet two weeks in advance (to shrink our livers) so that's what i'm doing now. I've lost over 9 pounds in 5 days and that has encouraged me. Too many things begin breaking down when you're over 60 and are diabetic, arthritic, and hypertensive. Basically i want to live longer and less miserably. I expect to explore the wonderful world of blogging as i take this journey.

Bo-Less

Dear Debby,

I so love your on-line name. I wish I had thought of it. I wannabfoxy too! I just closed my match.com subscription after two years of getting turned down by old fat men, because I was too fat. I can at least move--some of them couldn't (gee, I think I sound bitter) anyway---I'd be lying if I didn't say that there's a little bit of me that still wants to be attractive.

Now, here's the thing--is that stupid at my advanced age? At what point to do we give that notion up--or do we ever have to give it up?

The last time I was "pretty" was 40 years ago. At what point during the weight loss process should I go for a "makeover?" (Maybe I should refer to it as an overhaul.) Are any of you thinking about this or am I the only silly one?

I know the waiting is long. My surgery was paid for by the VA--well they paid 75% of it, and I jumped through many hoops--so much so that I'm determined to make this work because I've seen more doctors these past six months than I ever want to see again. Of course, I just started falling apart the last two years.

Mobility, mobility---that seems to be the constant among us.

Oh Foxy--will we ever be foxy again? biggrin.gif Maybe we should have a "Foxy-off" contest and see which one of us becomes the foxiest of them all.

Heck, I'll be glad if I can walk across the living room with breaking a sweat--but it can't hurt to dream.

Nicki

Hello Ladies I was happy to see all of you hear, This could be such a great support for all of us I to look forward to being able to share my journey.I will be 60, 03/17 as well I am a widow.have also been in a relationship but know it has gone as far as it is going.. I'm just ready for a change, I want to feel good about myself again,and enjoy doing things again, My weight & health issues have really reduced my mobility.. just want to try & start a happier fuller life..I to have medicare,so I may not be getting surgery as quick as I hoped. I did not understand they made you lose weight first.. but I guess they all have criteria we have to meet.I so hope to be able to share this journey that all of us are begining..Best of luck to each & every one of you !! Hope to hear from you all soon it does help to share with others going thru the same thing & all of us being so close in age seems Ideal !

Thankfull you started this post,Debbie :rolleyes:

Hello Over 60's Group

I am also in this group stepping in at 63 in June. I have been debating getting this done for more than 5 yrs now and have finally made my first appt for next week. I am scared silly but I know if I do not have this proceedure I will not live much longer. I have a ton of health issues and i'm just plain tired of all the pain and suffering. This is not a magic solution and I need to make major changes. Hopefully we can all get through this together. I look forward to staying in touch with all of you and together we can all accomplish healthier lives. Nice to know that I am not alone.

Dear Lovequilts,

What mental/emotional things do you worry about? Can you name them? I'm worried that I won't be able to find something to substitute for my love of food--although since being banded 6 days ago--food sounds kind of yucky. I'm really trying to make a list of what to do to take the place of food. This is the thing I worry most about.

What are your thoughts going into this? Do you feel like this is the answer to prayer or a tool to help?

Not trying to be nosy, but if you lay out your fears in writing, sometimes it helps. That's what I do anyway. And, yes, I am nosy! (sorry girls but I am).

Try not to dwell on the unknown too much. We're all here in various stages, so we can probably help you along the way.

Hey, you'll be banded on Valentine's Day. What a nice present to yourself!

Nicki

Hi there,

I too am looking for some support and will be 60 this year. I will be banded on Feb 14th. I do live alone and no pets. Darn allergies.... I have been divorced for 20 years and have not been in any relationship in 5 years. I am so looking forward to this life change for healty reasons but also mental. It the mental/emotions that I'm worried about the most. Kinda that fear of the unknown.

I just found this site tonight and look forward to chatting you some more and having a supportive place to visit where people understand what your going through.

Lovequilts

Dear MommaB,

As my kids used to say, "Don't be 'fraid." For one thing, you can always change your mind, and for the other, this surgery (if that's what you're afraid of) isn't that difficult. Although the people who tell you it's a piece of cake must have forgotten about the gas. Who would have thought one could long for the expulsion of gas with the same longing as for lost love. (Well, that may be an exaggeration.) I'm just afraid I'll manage to sabotage the belt and then what? Do I go to bypass surgery?

Why did you pick lap-band instead of bypass. I'm curious about that.

I'm really sorry you're having health issues. I think we all are. It seems to be the major thing that pushes us at this age.

It sounds to me like you've got the right attitude--do you think we older gals may have a firmer grip on this journey we're embarking than the younger ones. I have more at stake than fitting into a bridesmaid dress this summer. How say the rest of you?

So glad to meet you, MommaB.

Nicki

Hello Over 60's Group

I am also in this group stepping in at 63 in June. I have been debating getting this done for more than 5 yrs now and have finally made my first appt for next week. I am scared silly but I know if I do not have this proceedure I will not live much longer. I have a ton of health issues and i'm just plain tired of all the pain and suffering. This is not a magic solution and I need to make major changes. Hopefully we can all get through this together. I look forward to staying in touch with all of you and together we can all accomplish healthier lives. Nice to know that I am not alone.

Hi Nicki

Thanks for responding. I chose the lapband because it was the least invasive. I have several medical issues and my docs think is the safest for me. I had a heart attack in 97 followed by triple bypas and also have diab, copd, sleep apnea and other complications. My fear is not the banding but the actual anesthesia part. I have had bad experiences in the past. I am getting over my fear slowly but surely...lol The more I talk about it the better I feel. Long journey ahead but one I need to start. I am 5' 2" and 287 lbs/ My goal is 160

I know what you mean about fear of anesthesia. I always make sure I have a long talk with the anesthesiologist before surgery. I have had difficulty waking up in the past, so I talked it over with him beforehand. I didn't hold anything back. I asked about his experience. I told him my fears (no fat lady goes into surgery without trepidation). I explained about my TIA. My fear of coming to still intubated. I let it all hang out, and he was very comforting. Once I had an anesthesiologist who came from another country. I don't remember where, but he asked if I was Okay with him being my guy. I asked him, "Are you any good? Cause I don't care where you came from. I only care that I wake up." He laughed, but he told me to ask questions so I do.

This is how it went for me. I came too in the Operating Room when they finished. I could hear my doctor calling my friend to tell him I was fine. He also teased me because we had a bet. He said that I had a hiatal hernia and I said I didn't. (I refused the endoscopic exam which was stupid, but I'm not always that bright.) Well I did have a hernia and he won. The anesthesiologist looked at me and winked. The next thing I knew I was in the recovery room. A total of 50 minutes had passed. Within and hour I was getting into the wheel chair and going for a barium swallow. Of course I was high as a kite, and I think I sang on the way, mostly out of relief that it was over.

Be sure to ask to speak to the anesthesiologist before hand and you'll be more comfortable. There's always a risk, but the mortality rate for gastric surgery is really, really low. Remember, they do this surgery for people older than us and in worse shape. I hope that helps!

I'm 5'1" and weigh 214 today, 6 days post op. This was the first day I felt hungry. I ate a third of a can of refried Beans, and a half cup of cottage cheese. Delicious! I don't expect to lose too much too soon--I'm shooting for 50 pounds within the first 6 months and then a steady decline to 150 or 160. My Twiggy days are behind me.

Who's going to be home with you after surgery?

Nicki

Hi Nicki

Thanks for responding. I chose the lapband because it was the least invasive. I have several medical issues and my docs think is the safest for me. I had a heart attack in 97 followed by triple bypas and also have diab, copd, sleep apnea and other complications. My fear is not the banding but the actual anesthesia part. I have had bad experiences in the past. I am getting over my fear slowly but surely...lol The more I talk about it the better I feel. Long journey ahead but one I need to start. I am 5' 2" and 287 lbs/ My goal is 160