Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Nicki, enjoyed ready your post.. actually made me laugh >>> we all need that LOL..I hope I never quite caring about the way I look ,I have always tried harder because I was over weight.I loved what you said about you would be happy to walk accross the floor without breaking a sweat..I cannot believe how much my weight has started taking it's toll on me the last 2 yrs. But I always stayed pretty active for a big person, but it hurts so much anymore..I'm suppose to see my dr. tomorrow for the first time. Have already submitted considerable paper work. ( NOW IF THE WEATHER PERMITS I have TRAVEL ABT 70 MI.)

"M ALL UP FOR WHO"S GONNA BE THE FOXYEST OF THEM ALL CONTEST>>> YEAH !!! I HOPE WE ALL WHEN!! Lets be sure & stay in touch.. I also tried the dating site thing why do they go to the bbw site if they don't want a bbw !!! YOU GOTTA LOVE FLUFF !! Debbie :P

fat. I can at least move--some of them couldn't (gee, I think I sound bitter) anyway---I'd be lying if I didn't say that there's a little bit of me that still wants to be attractive.

Now, here's the thing--is that stupid at my advanced age? At what point to do we give that notion up--or do we ever have to give it up?

The last time I was "pretty" was 40 years ago. At what point during the weight loss process should I go for a "makeover?" (Maybe I should refer to it as an overhaul.) Are any of you thinking about this or am I the only silly one?

I know the waiting is long. My surgery was paid for by the VA--well they paid 75% of it, and I jumped through many hoops--so much so that I'm determined to make this work because I've seen more doctors these past six months than I ever want to see again. Of course, I just started falling apart the last two years.

Mobility, mobility---that seems to be the constant among us.

Oh Foxy--will we ever be foxy again? biggrin.gif Maybe we should have a "Foxy-off" contest and see which one of us becomes the foxiest of them all.

Heck, I'll be glad if I can walk across the living room with breaking a sweat--but it can't hurt to dream.

Nicki

Hi Nicki, enjoyed ready your post.. actually made me laugh >>> we all need that LOL..I hope I never quite caring about the way I look ,I have always tried harder because I was over weight.I loved what you said about you would be happy to walk accross the floor without breaking a sweat..I cannot believe how much my weight has started taking it's toll on me the last 2 yrs. But I always stayed pretty active for a big person, but it hurts so much anymore..I'm suppose to see my dr. tomorrow for the first time. Have already submitted considerable paper work. ( NOW IF THE WEATHER PERMITS I have TRAVEL ABT 70 MI.)

"M ALL UP FOR WHO"S GONNA BE THE FOXYEST OF THEM ALL CONTEST>>> YEAH !!! I HOPE WE ALL WHEN!! Lets be sure & stay in touch.. I also tried the dating site thing why do they go to the bbw site if they don't want a bbw !!! YOU GOTTA LOVE FLUFF !! Debbie :P

Let us know how you make out tomorrow! Before I went to the doctor, I wrote down a list of all my questions, and I made him wait while I wrote the answers. I tried not to call him, "Son," but I'm not sure--I might have. He's such a baby face! I'll be waiting to hear from you.

Nicki

I got my band last Thursday, and have been following this forum as I recover. I went to the age "60" forum, and although there are a few posts, nothing is very current. Am I the only old lady doing this? I'd love to hear from others my age. What was your motivation to do this? What are you expectations? I would like to converse with people my age to see if we're sharing similar or different experiences. We could encourage each other and share tips and advice.

I live alone, and I'd like company on this journey=a cyber support group. I hope someone is interested.

I look forward to hearing from you.

So this is where everyone has been hanging out. i had also seen the 60's link before, but it was pretty dead. I will be 63 in February. My weight has been a continual battle. I had my surgery 11/28/10. I was at my highest weight of 250. I am now down to 213. I would like to lose 50 more. I am lucky not to have a lot of medical problems except for slight high blood pressure. But, my bones are starting to ache. I have had a personal trainer at the gym for about 3 years. We have become limited as to what we can do because my knees would hurt, or my shoulders even my thumb ached. It was time to do something. I am single with no kids so I need to make sure I can take care of myself. I have friends, but I don't want to call them because I have gotten to fat to move.

Has anyone noticed any discrimination due to their ages? Did anyone try to discourage you from getting the band because of your age? Looking back, I can't say that I recall any discrimination at all. We all have to meet the same criteria no matter what age.

Forward on everyone!

Hello Ladies,

63 year old male here scheduled for mid February with the exact date still up in the air. My weight has been creeping up for 20+ years to an all time high of 390 pounds. I used to carry my weight well when I was under 300 pounds at 6'5" now i'm just an tall old fat man, gosh that is depressing. The fact is I am misirable physically the list of things I can't do now because of the weight has grown far too long.

My daughter and her husband both had this done last year she's lost 70# and he just under 100. The wife never had a weight problem so it came down to me being the only fat one in the immediate family. So I looked into the options and the bypass was just too invasive I spoke to the surgeon and we are going with the lap band. he said we can always do more if this doesn't work for me but the bypass should be considered a permenate proceedure.

I have gotten down to 372 and will be starting the pre op shakes soon to shrink my liver and make the proceedure less hazardous. My journey so far has been enlightening and I am confident I can do it. I have seen for myself that it is effective on my daughter so with a change in eating stratagies and upping my exercise there is no reason to expect anything but a good outcome.

Good luck to all of you guys and I look forward to being a tall, skinny, somewhat wrinkly :D old man who can do fun things and perhaps stick around on earth a little longer than I would by remaining fat.

Good luck to all of you guys and I look forward to being a tall, skinny, somewhat wrinkly :D old man who can do fun things and perhaps stick around on earth a little longer than I would by remaining fat.

Welcome Tom!

Your avatar made me laugh hysterically. That's the biggest cat I've ever seen. Do you think we may have an advantage over the younger bandsters? I mean--we're in it for different reason. My knee hurts. My sciatica hurts. etc. etc. I think if you're only in it to be "pretty" you might have a tougher go of it. At least that's what I keep telling myself. Like you, I want to stick around on Earth a little longer--not too many old fat people around.

Stay with us on your journey. I think we're in varying stages. I will tell all who are reading this--I went back to work yesterday. I feel better for having finally gotten up and moving around, but (there's always a 'but') when they say, "don't pick up anything heavier than 10 pounds," they mean it. I picked up a box of books(stupid) and now I know exactly where my port is. I don't think I hurt anything, but I didn't do it any good. So, folks, no old heroes--mind your doctors.

Other than the usual aches and pains, eight days post op feels pretty good.

Tom, thanks for sharing your kids success----very inspirational. Yes, we can do this!

Nicki

Has anyone noticed any discrimination due to their ages? Did anyone try to discourage you from getting the band because of your age? Looking back, I can't say that I recall any discrimination at all. We all have to meet the same criteria no matter what age.

Forward on everyone!

Hi!

I'm glad you found us. It sounds like you're doing great! Personal trainer, going to the gym, losing weight! It's all good. Working with the trainer is a great idea. I did that two summers ago, and then went on my own. Of course, I hurt my knee and now I don't go at all. It's one thing I plan to do after I heal up and lose a couple of pounds, so my body doesn't take such a beating.

What's been your overall impression of the whole experience? Be honest, we need to plan for the bad as well as the good. I've been reading some posts, and not everyone is happy with their band. I'm like a loose cannon, because I don't have any restriction right now--so I think everything is dandy. I don't have much appetite either, so that's good. Once I get a fill--then all heck breaks loose. Is that right?

I didn't run into any age discrimination at all. The only one who questioned my decision was my youngest son who asked, "Why don't you just stop eating?" To which I replied, "Son, if you had any idea of how hard that is for me, you wouldn't have asked the question." I know this isn't a cure-all, but I need all the help I can get. Actually--I have a friend who is a doctor, and my doctor is my friend. They both told me this might be the only option left for me. So, I took it.

Okay, I'm talking a lot about me----you guys jump in here and talk to each other!

Good times, bad times, let's talk!

Nicki

I got my band last Thursday, and have been following this forum as I recover. I went to the age "60" forum, and although there are a few posts, nothing is very current. Am I the only old lady doing this? I'd love to hear from others my age. What was your motivation to do this? What are you expectations? I would like to converse with people my age to see if we're sharing similar or different experiences. We could encourage each other and share tips and advice.

I live alone, and I'd like company on this journey=a cyber support group. I hope someone is interested.

I will be 60 in September and was just banded on Tuesday, January 18, 2011. I have been having more discomfort than I expected to be but from reading several of the posts in this forum I think most of my pain is from the gas. I knew I had to lose weight but just could not face failing again so I went for the band. I have lost weight over and over and it always came back. At my age I felt like it was now or never. I am excited about having help with the band and am feeling confident that I can do it and go gracefully into my golden years with style instead of looking so frumpy. I do wonder too, like some of you, how to handle my grazing past. Will take any and all suggestions. I have not really been hungry but felt like I wanted to put something in my mouth - still on a liquid diet so that wouldn't be a good idea.

Hi Islander,

I hope that by the time you read this, your pain will have subsided. I think it's a bit of an error to claim this is a "piece of cake." I had quite a bit of pain for the first four days. Actually, I didn't start to feel better until the 6th day when I went back to work! If the pain stays too bad, be sure and call your doctor. Some people on this board have been sicker than simply gas and I don't think too many here are qualified to practice medicine. That being said, I was banded on the 13th and except for the port, I'm all better!

I've lost and gained weight over the years too, and I'm hoping this gives me the added push to keep what I lose off.

I am busy looking for something to do to take up the time I used to spend planning, cooking, shopping, and eating. I think for me, that's going to be key. I already like having the extra time---and there is a lot of extra time---so I've taken up knitting again, and I'm making cards. I must have a million dollars worth of stamps, ink, paper etc. I've always collected the means to make a craft--like lots of yarn and thread, but I rarely did them. I'm doing them now. I'm also going to the gym. Slowly but surely, I hope to get into some kind of shape. I read too so that helps.

On hand I have lots of sugar free Jello. I just got hungry yesterday. I had no appetite until then, so I reached for the jello and a little goes a long way. I let it melt on my tongue. I also have sugar free Popsicles, sugar free drinks, and as I can add to my diet, I plan on keeping a lot of "free" foods in the house to curb the cravings.

I guess for me, it's about changing my lifestyle. I choose the band because--and this sounds stupid, but I read somewhere that with the band I would be able to eat one cheeseburger and a small fries. For me, that's huge. I never had less than two Egg McMuffin breakfasts, and I never ate less than the supersized burger, fries drink and apple pie. So, if I can get full on a small burger and small fries--that's a big deal.

Except, I don't want a burger. I want salmon. I have always believed that if I listen to my body it will tell me what I need. Right now I crave Protein. The shakes that made me gag before--actually taste good.

I'd be interested in hearing what you're going to be doing to help with your grazing. It's a real issue. Let me know how you're making out.

Nicki

I will be 60 in September and was just banded on Tuesday, January 18, 2011. I have been having more discomfort than I expected to be but from reading several of the posts in this forum I think most of my pain is from the gas. I knew I had to lose weight but just could not face failing again so I went for the band. I have lost weight over and over and it always came back. At my age I felt like it was now or never. I am excited about having help with the band and am feeling confident that I can do it and go gracefully into my golden years with style instead of looking so frumpy. I do wonder too, like some of you, how to handle my grazing past. Will take any and all suggestions. I have not really been hungry but felt like I wanted to put something in my mouth - still on a liquid diet so that wouldn't be a good idea.

I live alone, and I'd like company on this journey=a cyber support group. I hope someone is interested

Hello I will be 63 in March and will have my lap band the end of Februry . I dont know anyone that has had the lap band and just interested in a little feed back of what to expect and having a place to come to to be reminded why I am doing this . I to have tried every diet out there and they all take off a few pounds then I gained right back. I have been reading on this for a while and believe it might be my last chance to get this weight off . My reason to loose is I always have been healthy now I have bad knees and back , High Blood presser and now pre diebectic . they say if I lose it I wont have to take any medicine for it . I use to dance every dance with my husband now I am lucky to get 2 or 3 in one night . Then there that other problem of just not feeling sexy any more we have only been married for 5 years and we act like a couple thats been married for ever if you know what I mean .

Hi Shirley,

I think at this age, most of us are having the surgery to try and head off back, knee, foot etc. problems and diabetes. I'm not married, and it wouldn't bother me a bit to maybe have a "boyfriend." I used to think 60 was really old, and now I know different.

If you have any questions about my experience, please ask away. I can only speak for myself, but I'll be happy to share what I know first hand.

Isn't it funny how our health goes downhill so fast? Like you, I was doing fine until this year when wham--everything started falling apart. I was afraid to get out of bed for fear something new would hurt! At least this way--maybe I can maintain for a few years and that will give me time to learn to dance. I never learned!

Yesterday I went a got my hair cut, dyed and streaked. If you can, go out and get prettied up! It will make you feel good and give you a head start to beautiful!

Write when you can.

Nicki

Hello I will be 63 in March and will have my lap band the end of Februry . I dont know anyone that has had the lap band and just interested in a little feed back of what to expect and having a place to come to to be reminded why I am doing this . I to have tried every diet out there and they all take off a few pounds then I gained right back. I have been reading on this for a while and believe it might be my last chance to get this weight off . My reason to loose is I always have been healthy now I have bad knees and back , High Blood presser and now pre diebectic . they say if I lose it I wont have to take any medicine for it . I use to dance every dance with my husband now I am lucky to get 2 or 3 in one night . Then there that other problem of just not feeling sexy any more we have only been married for 5 years and we act like a couple thats been married for ever if you know what I mean .

I turned 60 mid November and had my lapband surgery April 21st last year. Had it tatooed on my hand so I would never forget it and to always remind me never to screw it up! My surgery was done at a military hospital and the cut off age date is 60. Good thing I looked into it when I did or I wouldn't have been eligible. I also am 5'2" and started out last year at 218. As of today, nine months later, I weighed in at 150. Until the last couple months the weight was coming off at about 2 lbs. a week. Now it's been one pound in the last two months. But I'm not gaining and that's fine with me. I've gone from size 18-20 to M/S's and wear size 8 jeans. I think I look fine right now but the Dr. says I should be 120 for my height. At this rate that will be awhile. LOL I would not change a thing. I tried for too many years on my own and it wasn't working. The only problem I've had as of right now is my port shifted and had to be relocated. I'm not an expert by any means but will answer any questions, if I can, if any newbies would like to ask me.

I'm really glad to hear about your success. I've been following a discussion where every one seems disgusted and looking at mini bypass surgery. It made me wonder if I didn't make a mistake. Today I ate soft foods for the first time since my surgery. It's clear that I can eat just about anything. There doesn't seem to be any restriction. Is this the way it is until the first fill? I have noticed a change is what "sounds" good. I think I posted somewhere that I am hungry for salmon. That's on the menu for tomorrow.

Did you have Hair loss? Mine's pretty thin and I can't afford to lose much more. How does it feel to be thin! In my world, 150 is Twiggy-like! Do you want to weigh 120? I can't see myself at that weight and I'm 5'2" like you. Do you know why your weight loss slowed down? Are you afraid of over eating again? Yes, I have lots of questions. Do you ache less--if you ached before-are you better?

Give us words of wisdom and thanks for writing.

Nicki

I turned 60 mid November and had my lapband surgery April 21st last year. Had it tatooed on my hand so I would never forget it and to always remind me never to screw it up! My surgery was done at a military hospital and the cut off age date is 60. Good thing I looked into it when I did or I wouldn't have been eligible. I also am 5'2" and started out last year at 218. As of today, nine months later, I weighed in at 150. Until the last couple months the weight was coming off at about 2 lbs. a week. Now it's been one pound in the last two months. But I'm not gaining and that's fine with me. I've gone from size 18-20 to M/S's and wear size 8 jeans. I think I look fine right now but the Dr. says I should be 120 for my height. At this rate that will be awhile. LOL I would not change a thing. I tried for too many years on my own and it wasn't working. The only problem I've had as of right now is my port shifted and had to be relocated. I'm not an expert by any means but will answer any questions, if I can, if any newbies would like to ask me.

I'm really glad to hear about your success. I've been following a discussion where every one seems disgusted and looking at mini bypass surgery. It made me wonder if I didn't make a mistake. Today I ate soft foods for the first time since my surgery. It's clear that I can eat just about anything. There doesn't seem to be any restriction. Is this the way it is until the first fill? I have noticed a change is what "sounds" good. I think I posted somewhere that I am hungry for salmon. That's on the menu for tomorrow.

Did you have hair loss? Mine's pretty thin and I can't afford to lose much more. How does it feel to be thin! In my world, 150 is Twiggy-like! Do you want to weigh 120? I can't see myself at that weight and I'm 5'2" like you. Do you know why your weight loss slowed down? Are you afraid of over eating again? Yes, I have lots of questions. Do you ache less--if you ached before-are you better?

Give us words of wisdom and thanks for writing.

Until this last fill I also felt like I had no restriction. I just did the best I could. Sometimes I would overeat and feel so guilty. We were told not to eat more than 1/2 cup and there were days when I could and did eat 1 cup. True I wasn't eating like a pig like I used to but it seemed like too much to me. and I would eat Snacks between meals too. I think that's why I wasn't losing. I maintained but didn't lose. Now I eat just my small meals three times a day and rarely feel hungry. So, I think I'm about at the "sweet" spot. Which is where you are satisfied with what you eat and don't feel the need to overeat. Some people find there's a lot of things they either now like or no longer like but I still like everything I did before. I did give up bread tho as I worried it could clog the opening and I don't miss it anymore at all.

Yes, I had Hair loss. Mine also is pretty thin now. I take extra Biotin and it's helping some. I'm not losing anymore but I haven't noticed if any is growing back in.

Unfortunately, I don't really now how to answer the thin question. I have never felt any different in my head, not from day one. I know in the mirror I'm thinner than I was. And I see in pictures that I look different but I don't feel different. I feel exactly the same. I must admit wearing jeans again after all these years thrills me to no end. No, I don't want to weigh 120. I think 135 will be my goal and I'll just argue with the Dr. until he see things my way. LOL

ALWAYS I worry about overeating and regaining, but I will not berate myself as long as it's a rare thing. I just remind myself this is not good for me and continue on.

My joints ache so very much less now, I can walk for miles and rarely get tired. I will be happy when I can run or ride a bike and not get winded. I'm about there now.

I have oodles more energy now and enjoy life a lot more. I like looking at clothes knowing the little sizes will fit and yet I still find myself going towards the bigger sizes to this day first. I'm sure that will change in time.

Peggy

How are all you "60 and Olders" doing? There hasn't been much activity here lately - just wondering how ya'll are? I am getting closer to my date (2/28) and am getting very excited. Even tho I read a lot of negative stories about people with bands who aren't having great sucess - I still believe I can make this work to my advantage. I believe I mentioned before that this is not the surgery I initially wanted - I wanted a gastric sleeve, based mainly on my Dr's recommendation due to some other issues I have, and truthfully if my insurance covered it that is what I would be doing. But I can only get the lapband covered with the insurance I have and I am not in a position to self-pay, so this is it for me. I plan to keep a positive attitude and work my band for all it's worth. Someone here mentioned having the date of their banding tattooed on their hand - I am considering the same (altho not on my hand!) because that date is going to be the beginning of a profound change in my life. I am also going to turn 60 exactly one month after my surgery and I like it that I am starting a whole new decade of my life with a whole new outlook and approach and a tool to help me achieve my goals. The most important goal I have going forward, aside from losing weight, is that I have been working my way to becoming vegan (have been a vegetarian for awhile now) and when I have my surgery, from that day forth that is the way I intend to live.

I found a very good site that I visit daily for inpiration - it's www.bandedliving.com The two women who run the site have had great sucess with their bands and they are truly an inspiration to me. I believe that is what we need to do as we start/continue our journey with our bands - stay positive and inspired. Don't get me wrong - educating yourself about all aspects of the band is important - I have spent 7 months researching this and looking at it from all angles, the positive and the negative - but now that I know the negative I prefer to move on and surround myself with positive and inspirational people and stories to keep me going. I personally know a couple of people I work with who have had the band and not had much sucess with it - but I also see them raiding the candy jar in one of our co-worker's office, eating large amounts and eating & drinking things they shouldn't. So it's no wonder they are not having sucess. It's so important to remember that this is not a magic pill to cure our obesity but rather a tool to help us - but we must put forth the work and effort to make this work. Yes, there are some banders out there who want to go from the band to a bypass - but there are also by-passers who are now getting "banded over bypass" because their bypasses failed them! As I said, I wanted a sleeve and would go that route if I had the choice, but on the other hand, altho the band may make us have to work harder to lose than sleevers or bypassers, on another level you actually learn to control and discipline yourself in ways you don't have to do with the other surgeries. I can't help but think that's a GOOD thing! And we don't have those crazy side effects to deal with like Hair loss and dumping syndrome. All I know is I am going ahead with my band surgery and I plan to give this my very best effort. If I happen to end up one of those people who don't get results despite my best efforts, I'll face that when/if it happens but atleast I'll know I gave it my best effort. Hope everyone of you out there are doing well - have a wonderful coming week!

Hi all. Wanted to respond to everyone ! I too am over 60 ( will be 64 this July) and have had the lap band since last May. My surgery was a "piece of cake".... hummmm, probably not the best descriptive phrase I could have picked.... but I was very fortunate and recovered very quickly. I was back to work in a week.

I decided I needed to do this after many many diets and finely (after being warned numerous times by several doctors) was diagnosed with diabetes. I am 5'4" and was only 2 lbs short of 250. I had actually put the last 40 lbs on after taking my job as a State Liaison for a school district food service department! (where I still work).

I actually did very well the first couple of months. Lost nearly 40 lbs.... but then, as someone put it above, figured out a way to "outsmart" the band. I was no longer feeling full in just a few bites and my old brain overrode the band. I can still eat anything I want..... anytime I want. I thought I must need a band tightening but found just the opposite .... they wouldn't do it. I have actually put 5 lbs back on and am now trying to go back to putting matter over mind!!! I do have to say that, even tho I haven't lost any more weight, my cholesterol and blood sugar are both down in a "healthy" range.

Since my hospital (and any support groups that go with the surgery) are 3 hours from here... I need support too!!!! I too want to be more mobile .. I want my knees to stop hurting.... infact, all my joints to stop hurting! I want to beable to go out in the yard and actually get down on my knees and plant something! (and actually GET back UP again!!!) So... I'm ready.... lets get to supporting each other so we can all be successful and be (not so) young and gorgeous (or handsome) and FEEL GOOD!

Gosh, didn't mean to go on so long..... but hopefully being "gabby" won't count against me!

Lin in AZ