Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things you learned after LB install that you discovered afterward.

I learned after surgery...

1. I have to drink atleast 64oz of Water a day or I get really bad headaches, super dry skin, and Constipation

2. I cannot eat steak at all no matter how small I cut it or sauce I try to put on it.

3. The cravings and mental thoughts about eating bad foods are still there.

4. Making subtle changes to my routine help me get past the cravings and thoughts of eating bad food

a. I take a different route home from work than I used to so I can avoid fast food chains

b. I sit in a different spot when watching tv to combat the need for Snacks

c. When I am not hungry and get the mental thoughts of bad foods I drink a glass of cold Water and go outside for a walk.

5. Going for a walk everyday helps me clear my mind and think positively about my choice for lab band surgery.

6. I can never have pizza again!

Darn. I'm not getting a single bit of fun out of poking my port. Reckon I'm doing it wrong? :blink:

I went to a Chinese restaurant today with my daughter. Half a bowl of Soup and a few bites of Jade chicken was more than enough. I learned I could worry about eating too little and having people think I don't like their food!

I have learned that leftovers are my new best friend. Igrew up with the thought that the plate had to be empty at the end of the mealand now leaving food on my plate is just fine.I learned at home eating off of small plates and using small forks and spoonsare actually kind of fun.

I also learned that fills can take time to do their magic. After my first fillI didn't notice any difference and then a week or so later I felt like I had toretrain myself to eat and I had to experiment with foods that I had no problemgetting down before.

I have learned (and this is a big one for me) that having a band isn't aboutsaying, "I shouldn't eat that", it is more about "I can indulgein this because I.....," followed by went to the gym and burned xxx ofcalories, or I went on a hike, or I have enough in my calorie budget. I feellike I finally have balance in what I am eating and I don't sit in front of theTV and watch the Biggest Loser while eating a whole pizza anymore.

I learned that I have become so eager to weigh myself that I actually have tomake myself wait. I think that I became so wrapped up in themovement of the scale I obsessed a little. Now I am on it every Sunday morning.If it doesn't move as much as I would like I don't beat myself up, I assesswhat my workouts and eating have been like and I adapt accordingly.

Before the band, I thought I knew everything there was to know about dietingsince I had been on one every day of my teen and adult life. I learned that I actuallyknew very little. Getting the band has encouraged me to be more mindful of the quality of food and what it is made of and not just blindly eating because a book or a fad diet tells me to.

# 1 Many people suffer from hairloss with the band.

#2 and this is just my personal experience.........This is much easier than I thought it would be. I know many bandsters have to *work* at it, but I really don't. I never really thought I would ever get to a normal BMI.

Thanks so much for posting this. i do not doubt for one minute the difficult stories I read on this site. AND I want to realize/know that there are probably many people who had a somewhat "easy" path with the band and therefore are less likely to come here and post---they're just out living their lives. I think when I have challenges with something I'm much more likely to seek support and post then when things are going smooth.

It would be great if you could email me to chat. Thanks!

:D