Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Deciding If it is the right Decision for me!!

Hi,

My name is Larissa and I recently have been looking into lapband because for years I have been dealing with my weight and not being able to lose it. I finally consulted with my mom since mother knows best and we decided that maybe lap band was the best option. I'm seeing the doctor in two weeks to decide if this is the right decision for me. I just wanted to come here so I could get to know more about lap band from people who have actually experienced it. My biggest concern is if I will even qualify for it. I have read the general qualifications but It scares me because I feel like this is my last chance to get where I want to be and what if it doesn't happen? I'm glad I found this website because I feel like I can talk to y'all and get a lot of insite!

Thanks! :)

Hey larissa,

I am in the same boat. I am 25 ive never had kids but im so tired of se-sawing with my weight that ive decided to look into this, just as a tool. I know losing weight is not just an easy button with the band. I just feel like i need some help. so if you get any good insight, please share cause i would be equally interested.

Elise

Me 2 girls, me 2!!!! I am 24 and have been overweight my since I was like 5 and I am so sick of it! I am a military wife visiting home right now, but when I get back to my house I am going to my PCM to try and get a referral, I am scared he won't even give me a referral let alone tricare approve me for surgery, but I will try it anyway. I'm close but I don't exactly meet tricares requirements. I've been researching and reading post for months now , and its really what I want to do. Goood luck girls:)

Hi Ladies,

I'm a recent bandster. I had surgery on Sept. 2. Before surgery I had been obese for many years. I would have occasional weight-loss success, but always gained it back. I was taking 8 pills a day for high blood pressure, diabetes and cholesterol. I've lost 40 pounds and thrilled to say that I now take zero pills a day! I cannot tell you how happy I am that I made this decision. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

I will tell you that while the band helps in several ways (reduced apetite, eat less at meals and stay full longer) in order to have the most success, you will need to dedicate yourself to some lifestyle changes (drinking lots of Water, exercising regularly and eating healthy).

Good luck on your decisions. I'll answer any questions you have and I'll happily share my experiences with you,

Me 2 girls, me 2!!!! I am 24 and have been overweight my since I was like 5 and I am so sick of it! I am a military wife visiting home right now, but when I get back to my house I am going to my PCM to try and get a referral, I am scared he won't even give me a referral let alone tricare approve me for surgery, but I will try it anyway. I'm close but I don't exactly meet tricares requirements. I've been researching and reading post for months now , and its really what I want to do. Goood luck girls:)

I am also a military wife with Tricare Standard and it was very easy to get approved. If your BMI is over 35, tell your PCM that you feel you may have sleep apnea (most people have it when tested, regardless of weight). That alone will probably get you approved. I personally decided to GAIN 10 pounds before going in, as that 10 pounds put my BMI over 40...not a happy choice to make, but I figured...gain a little to lose a lot? Sure. Best of luck.