Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At A Standstill

I was banded on Dec. 29th. I've lost 24 pounds so far, but have not lost an ounce in 5 days. In fact, today I gained one pound. That is very discouraging. I have eaten broth, sugar free Jello, sugar free popcicles, and lots of Water. Last evening I make pizza soup....the onion, garlic, pepper, and mushroom were blended in the "Magic Bullet". The base is Tomato juice and fat free chicken broth. I added to my 1 cup portion, 1/4 cup fat free mozzerella cheese. Delicious! However, I gained one pound today. I have begun walking (something I have never done before). Yesterday, I took two walks. Any suggestions why this is happening?

Your body is still going through an adjustment period. Hang in there and don't get discouraged. This is a lifestyle change, not a crash diet. Losing 24 pounds since Dec. 29th is awesome! Don't get discouraged.

I was devestated at my 1 week post op appointment I had only lost 1 lb since my surgery the week before. My Dr explained that the body goes into protective mode and it happens to alot of people and I should see results if I keep doing what I am supposed to.

Tommorow is my one month post op appointment.... my scale says I am down 47 lbs which is 25 lbs for the first month after being banded.! So stick with it... you WILL drop the weight!

Your body is still going through an adjustment period. Hang in there and don't get discouraged. This is a lifestyle change, not a crash diet. Losing 24 pounds since Dec. 29th is awesome! Don't get discouraged.

I started my "liquid diet" on December 15th. So, when I say I have lost 24 pounds, it's since Dec. 15th. I've only lost 10 pounds since being banded on Dec. 29th.

I have a feeling it could be the sodium in the chicken broth. Don't panic. Weight can sometimes even fluctuate by three pounds a day! The scale will start moving again.

[quote name=bthomson' timestamp='1294668986'

post='1557792]

I was banded on Dec. 29th. I've lost 24 pounds so far, but have not lost an ounce in 5 days. In fact, today I gained one pound. That is very discouraging. I have eaten broth, sugar free Jello, sugar free popcicles, and lots of Water. Last evening I make pizza soup....the onion, garlic, pepper, and mushroom were blended in the "Magic Bullet". The base is Tomato juice and fat free chicken broth. I added to my 1 cup portion, 1/4 cup fat free mozzerella cheese. Delicious! However, I gained one pound today. I have begun walking (something I have never done before). Yesterday, I took two walks. Any suggestions why this is happening?

I am having the same discouraging problem. Banded on Dec. 27th - and I have only lost a few pounds.

I am drinking Protein Shakes with skim milk, not even doing the broth because of the sodium, SF Jello, SF pudding, cream of wheat, lots of Water and SF fluids, etc.

And just on Friday got the ok to move to mushies. I'm not eating any more than 1/2 cup at each meal - I'm not even hungry!

Got on the scale this morning and gained two pounds? WTH? How can this be possible? I thought for sure after the weekend I would be down at least a few pounds.

Trying not to get discourged but it is hard.

I'd definitely say the sodium. Canned broth and canned Tomato juice/sauce/soup are extremely high in sodium. Drink more Water and stay off the scale for awhile. Going on it everyday really will bring you down, and not in the way you're looking to see. Try to stick to one day a week.

I never paid attention to salt... since I didnt ever add any to my cooking or food. However I do now and boy was I shocked! Now I use the V-8 juice in the low sodium variety. Also use the chicken broth which is reduced salt.

I was banded on 11/29. I have lost 30 pounds and that includes the 2 week liquid pre op diet also. As many have stated before we did not gain this weight over night and we are not going to lose it over night. Many of us have gone through phases of days and weeks of sticking to our diets and exercising and not losing an ounce and then suddenly dropping weight again. It does get frustrating! Right now my really fat clothes are baggy, my fat clothes are still a tad too tight and my regular clothes still have the dust on them. But, I am hopeful to get back into them.

My doctor said that I should be walking everyday. I have not been good on the exercising and i know i would have better weight loss if got my butt off the couch more often. I have noticed that it is easier to lace up my shoes now that some of my belly is gone,

We need to be thankful for the small successes!:)

I was banded on Dec 28th and I lost 20 lbs...but only 7.8 of it since surgery.....Seems to me that I haven't lost an ounce since starting on the pureed food....sigh...but I'm going back to work tomorrow and hoping that returning to my "normal" activity level will help. It's incredibly cold here, so I haven't been able to walk outside (was walking 6 miles 4x a week before it got really cold) but I have been doing the Wii Fit game. Apparently, Wii Fit isn't enough activity though to jumpstart the weight loss when I actually eat food.< /p>

I will add that when you start eating solids again the weight loss will slow up a little bit too but stick with your small portions and it will start back again when your body get use to having solids again. Keep your head up!

In addition to what everyone else covered, do not forget that once you start exercising routinely you will be building muscle. We all know that weighs more than fat so there will be sometimes for the needle on the scale not moving either.

Keep working hard. It will pay off.

For those of you frustrated with the scale not moving (enough), step back and check your measurements. In the few weeks right after my surgery I had to go buy a smaller belt and smaller size shirts. To myself (in the mirror) I looked about the same, but my clothes were fitting me much differently. I had to retire a favorite pair of blue jeans I'd worn forever because they were suddenly falling off of me. (And trust me, a guy my age does not look good sagging his jeans... ;))

Hang in there, verify that you are eating as you should be, and give your body time to recover from the internal trauma you're putting it through. Not only have you attached a foreign object silicone band to your digestive tract, but you've added stitches to it, and completely altered what foods you're putting into it. If I was a stomach, I'd resist the change, too. Pace yourself, and let things come back into balance.

Good luck, everyone!

Dave