Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you dip? First meal?

This has probably been asked before, so please forgive me.

I am moving into the mushie stage and I'm so looking forward to something other than Protein drinks and Jello. :-)

Making a trip to the grocery store today, and I want to be prepared.

What do you dip? Can you eat tortilla chips? What about snack crackers?

And my other question is "what did you have for your first solid meal?"

Thank you for all the inspiration and encouragement I've gotten from these forums. It's so great to speak with someone that's "been there" vs. a non banded person.

No, dont think tortilla chips are considered mushy.. each dr. is different on wht they say you can eat but I ate things like refried Beans, mashed potaotes & baked potatoes, you can pretty munch grind anything into mushie in a blender...I blended wendys chili an I was in heaven..lol...I ate some oatmeal, and drank alot of Protein Drinks, mashed cauliflower, peas, you kinda have to get creative with the mushy stage..luckily I only had to be on it for 2 weeks and I did ok...if you do a search under mushy food on her it should pull up some posts of some really good ideas of what people ate. good luck!!!

Actually my first meal was Breakfast and I had a scrambled egg and a sausage patty....yes-one of each! Chewed that sausage good! I have had 1/2 taco salad for dinner and then lunch the next day. I have had one slice of thin crust pizza-that was enough too! I think tomoight I will try to steam a pork chop.....baking can make them tough if done too much. I usually don't care if I have potatoes or rice ect with my meal anymore. I'll go with a meat and veg. ..or 2 vegtables. The band got me back to planning dinner!! lol

Some of my mush or soft food consisted of smooth cheese and we could have crackers..I had club crackers. Oatmeal, crm of wheat, applesauce, If you can have cheese you can put some in grits or m potatoes. Good Luck!

Hi Nicole

Thanks for the reply.

OOPS! You're right I don't think I'll be eating the chips in the mushie stage, but my brain is already progressing onto the next step of solids. LOL

I can't wait to try the Wendy's chili...wonder what kind of looks I'd get if I blended it right in the restaurant?

No, dont think tortilla chips are considered mushy.. each dr. is different on wht they say you can eat but I ate things like refried Beans, mashed potaotes & baked potatoes, you can pretty munch grind anything into mushie in a blender...I blended wendys chili an I was in heaven..lol...I ate some oatmeal, and drank alot of Protein drinks, mashed cauliflower, peas, you kinda have to get creative with the mushy stage..luckily I only had to be on it for 2 weeks and I did ok...if you do a search under mushy food on her it should pull up some posts of some really good ideas of what people ate. good luck!!!

Thanks, Leo

I actually wondered about the taco salad, that's one of my cravings right now. ANYTHING mexican!

I can live without the potatoes and rice....they are fluff to me.

It's going to be a whole new game when it comes to making/planning dinners from now on.

Right now I am not cooking and DH is fending for himself. I must say I enjoy not cooking and especially the clean up. :D

Actually my first meal was Breakfast and I had a scrambled egg and a sausage patty....yes-one of each! Chewed that sausage good! I have had 1/2 taco salad for dinner and then lunch the next day. I have had one slice of thin crust pizza-that was enough too! I think tomoight I will try to steam a pork chop.....baking can make them tough if done too much. I usually don't care if I have potatoes or rice ect with my meal anymore. I'll go with a meat and veg. ..or 2 vegtables. The band got me back to planning dinner!! lol

I liked hummus, egg drop Soup, yogurt, and Lipton noodle soup. I make chilli almost weekly. I cook alot of my meats in the crockpot it makes them moist and tender which you will soon learn is the only way to get it down. I never blended anything, the thought of it turned my stomach.

Hmmmmm.....I wonder if you can blend a taco?!! ....my daughter lives with me and she does a lot of her cooking anyway....now I'll be able to get one pk chop, chicken whatever and she can have rest! One day I'll try my recipe for crab cakes. But, I still get to clean up! lol

Thanks, Leo

I actually wondered about the taco salad, that's one of my cravings right now. ANYTHING mexican!

I can live without the potatoes and rice....they are fluff to me.

It's going to be a whole new game when it comes to making/planning dinners from now on.

Right now I am not cooking and DH is fending for himself. I must say I enjoy not cooking and especially the clean up. :D

check out the recipes at www.bariatriceating.com

The white chicken chili is especially good. I made it when on soft/mushy foods, and put my portion through the blender. My son was mad I only made a single pot instead of doubling it, it was THAT good.

Can't remember where I read this, but somewhere or someone suggested Chinese Egg Foo Yong patties. Without the their heavy gravy of course...you can vacuum pack the extra patties and have them later. Seems soft and mushy to me. Also , Buffallo chicken dip was a suggestion too.

I remember having egg foo yong as a child. Now they are starting to sound more appealing to me. I move on to mushies Wednesday and I CANNOT WAIT. I am so sick of Soup , shakes, grits...well you get my drift ;)

A blended taco may just do the trick.

I read last night about a lady that blended up a chili dog....hmmmm I'll try that too!

Hmmmmm.....I wonder if you can blend a taco?!! ....my daughter lives with me and she does a lot of her cooking anyway....now I'll be able to get one pk chop, chicken whatever and she can have rest! One day I'll try my recipe for crab cakes. But, I still get to clean up! lol

Thanks Melissa I'll defiantely check out the white chicken chili. It sounds really good.

I bought stuff at the store to make regular chili, but chicken chili would be good for a switch.

check out the recipes at www.bariatriceating.com

The white chicken chili is especially good. I made it when on soft/mushy foods, and put my portion through the blender. My son was mad I only made a single pot instead of doubling it, it was THAT good.

Hi ChopswyfT

I'm not sure what Egg Foo Yong is. Does it have a chinese food taste? That would help with my chinese cravings.

Man.....I think I'd try a blended up rubber tire right about now! LOL

Can't remember where I read this, but somewhere or someone suggested Chinese Egg Foo Yong patties. Without the their heavy gravy of course...you can vacuum pack the extra patties and have them later. Seems soft and mushy to me. Also , Buffallo chicken dip was a suggestion too.

I remember having egg foo yong as a child. Now they are starting to sound more appealing to me. I move on to mushies Wednesday and I CANNOT WAIT. I am so sick of Soup , shakes, grits...well you get my drift ;)

thanks for the ideas. I took your advice and picked up hummus. I got the roasted red pepper..sounds so good.

I liked hummus, egg drop Soup, yogurt, and Lipton noodle soup. I make chilli almost weekly. I cook alot of my meats in the crockpot it makes them moist and tender which you will soon learn is the only way to get it down. I never blended anything, the thought of it turned my stomach.

thanks for the ideas. I took your advice and picked up hummus. I got the roasted red pepper..sounds so good. I also picked up things to make chili....Oh can't wait!!

I really need different flavors!

My soft food stage the one after puree's allows crackers and toast. I mean if you chew up a cracker it completely mushes, thats why babies eat them. I've been having some crackers with my chicken salad for lunch :) though i'm finding I'm getting addicted to having crackers, so maybe it's not the best idea.