Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When will I feel it? Not feeling my fill at all.

Hello,

I'm one month since surgery. I have an 11 cc band. Because I was so hungry, my doctor gave me a fill. I'm now at 5cc's. I don't feel ANY restriction, so basically I am just dieting (and working very hard at dieting), but I feel just like I always did on a diet --- no energy and very very hungry. At what point will I feel the restriction? My doctor is going to give me another fill on Monday. I'm feeling dismayed.sad.gif

Listen you all have some misconception that you will not be hungry. That is a lie no matter if you have a 20cc band and it is filled all the way up. It just is not going to happen. Your stomach was not removed and the bottom works just fine. You are going to be hungry always yes always. That is never going to stop no matter how many fills you get and yes you are dieting. The lap band is a diet and if you think its not then you have been very misguided to the band. It is a forever and ever and ever and did I say forever a diet always and forever.

Hello,

I'm one month since surgery. I have an 11 cc band. Because I was so hungry, my doctor gave me a fill. I'm now at 5cc's. I don't feel ANY restriction, so basically I am just dieting (and working very hard at dieting), but I feel just like I always did on a diet --- no energy and very very hungry. At what point will I feel the restriction? My doctor is going to give me another fill on Monday. I'm feeling dismayed.sad.gif

Oh, how I feel your pain! I'm not sure what size band I have because I have never asked, but I had my first fill of 2.4 cc today. Unfortunately, I'm still hungry and the tummy is growling as usual. Also, that nasty hunger headache is here as always too.

To clear up any misconception that some people may have, I NEVER went into this thinking that the band was anything more than a tool. I am very aware that being banded is a lifestyle change. Even so, I did go into this expecting the band to be the tool that helps me to not over eat as over eating is what made me need the band in the first place. If the band does not give me enough restriction and I am going to be hungry forever, then the band is not doing what it was designed to do.

Correct me if I am wrong rktaurus71, but I think your expectations from the band are the same as mine. Good luck moving forward and I hope your hunger pains leave soon!

I have to disagree with fluffy, from what I hear and understand of the band once you find that "sweet spot" your hunger should be sated with smaller amounts of food for 4 or 5 hours, that is the goal. My coworkers who have had this done both say they do get hungry just not as often as they used too. I have to ask are you physically hungry (your stomach growling, mine hurts now when its hungry, kind of crampy) or is it just in your head? I've noticed that I eat when my brains says I should be hungry not when my stomach says I am. I'm working on ignoring my head and listening to my stomach, it is hard to do after 30 years of just eating what ever when ever. I'm only 3 1/2 weeks out from surgery so I haven't had a fill yet, but but what I've said is what I've heard from people here, co workers and my dr's office.

I didnt say you woudnt find your sweet spot I said hunger will always be there because that is what our bodies are meant to do. When you are not full you stomach will be hungry. But are you hungry or just empty. When it growls you are hungry when its doesnt you are just empty. But you can not ever think you wont be hungry. You will you have to know how to control it.

Hang in there- it took me 3 fills to get any restriction. It will happen. Good luck!

THANK YOU. Forgive me, but I have not been misguided. I am COMPLETELY aware that the lap band is merely a tool --- BUT that tool IS supposed to restrict hunger. My doctor and nutritionist both say so -- otherwise what's the point. I will let you know how my next fill goes!

Oh, how I feel your pain! I'm not sure what size band I have because I have never asked, but I had my first fill of 2.4 cc today. Unfortunately, I'm still hungry and the tummy is growling as usual. Also, that nasty hunger headache is here as always too.

To clear up any misconception that some people may have, I NEVER went into this thinking that the band was anything more than a tool. I am very aware that being banded is a lifestyle change. Even so, I did go into this expecting the band to be the tool that helps me to not over eat as over eating is what made me need the band in the first place. If the band does not give me enough restriction and I am going to be hungry forever, then the band is not doing what it was designed to do.

Correct me if I am wrong rktaurus71, but I think your expectations from the band are the same as mine. Good luck moving forward and I hope your hunger pains leave soon!

Pardon me, but I am not misguided. I don't think your post is helpful. My doctor and nutritionist both said very clearly "the band -- when find the right amount of fill -- will make you feel full faster". I NEVER said in my post that I expected some sort of magic bullet. Excuse me, but I am following every rule there is --- eating extremely low fat, low carb, no more than a cup at time, not drinking while eating, etc. So, I'm hardly expecting an overnight miracle. Thanks to everyone else who responded. Much appreciated. I will certainly let you know how the next fill goes.

I didnt say you woudnt find your sweet spot I said hunger will always be there because that is what our bodies are meant to do. When you are not full you stomach will be hungry. But are you hungry or just empty. When it growls you are hungry when its doesnt you are just empty. But you can not ever think you wont be hungry. You will you have to know how to control it.

Our expectations are EXACTLY the same. Looking for the 'sweet spot' and wanting it to HELP control hunger. I never said or intimated that diet and exercise wouldn't be a huge part of it. In fact, my diet is so low fat, low carb, one cup at a time, no liquids while eating, etc. Following every rule I've gotten. So...thank you for understanding :)

I have a 11 CC band and have had 5 fills now at 9.4 CC's. After my last fill I started to feel restriction. Not perfect yet, but better.

I have an 11cc band and didnt get restriction until my 3rd fill and I have a total of 7cc's right now, Im not quite at my sweet spot yet but I was just like you after my 1st and 2nd fill. I thought I would never get restriction!! my doc wont do fills but every 6 weeks and they were the longest 6 weeks of my life! once I got my 3rd fill I had great restriction for about 3 wks than it subsided some...but I do have some small "stuck" epiosodes now as well if I eat too quickly or too big of bites. I remember posting on here a couple months ago, I was so frustrated and discouraged, I wanted it to happen right away since that was my expectation...I was hungry all the time and was doing weight watchers to try and not overeat..I did manage to stil lose some weight but was working out and eating the best I could. Its hard to stick with all that you have to do ..its alot of self discipline and its even harder before you get restriction...I finally have some but still struggle with food decisions and wanting to get lazy...hang in there and trust that it will happen..,you just have to try to have patience and keep busy with trying to exercise and change your old habits !! Good luck!

Hello,

If you have the realize band (and I think you probably do as I don't think the lapband comes in an 11cc band), the AVERAGE amount of fill to start getting really good dimming of hunger is about 7cc's of Fluid. This can be different for all, but since you're now at 5cc's, you are creeping up on where you need to be.

Don't be dismayed at your doc only giving you 5. Mine does rather conservative fills because he says that it can take up to 2 weeks for a fill to make itself known. I had a fill 22 December.. and exactly a week later I suddenly got tighter. Why? who knows.

Try drinking extra Water (or other low calorie stuff) between your meals, that helps me sometimes.

And you may want to reconsider thinking of the band as offering restriction. I can always always always eat .. and I do get hungry, but not as often. What the band does for me is to let me eat a smaller amount of good quality Protein and veggies and not be hungry again for 3 to 5 hours. Some days are easier than others.. it's just the nature of the band. She's known as a "fickle b*tch".

Hang in there. It should get easier. :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH :) THIS IS REALLY INSPIRING. AND CONGRATS ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS. YOU ARE GREAT.

I have an 11cc band and didnt get restriction until my 3rd fill and I have a total of 7cc's right now, Im not quite at my sweet spot yet but I was just like you after my 1st and 2nd fill. I thought I would never get restriction!! my doc wont do fills but every 6 weeks and they were the longest 6 weeks of my life! once I got my 3rd fill I had great restriction for about 3 wks than it subsided some...but I do have some small "stuck" epiosodes now as well if I eat too quickly or too big of bites. I remember posting on here a couple months ago, I was so frustrated and discouraged, I wanted it to happen right away since that was my expectation...I was hungry all the time and was doing weight watchers to try and not overeat..I did manage to stil lose some weight but was working out and eating the best I could. Its hard to stick with all that you have to do ..its alot of self discipline and its even harder before you get restriction...I finally have some but still struggle with food decisions and wanting to get lazy...hang in there and trust that it will happen..,you just have to try to have patience and keep busy with trying to exercise and change your old habits !! Good luck!