Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to shrink my pouch?

I had lap band surgery over a year ago. My weight loss started off great (averaging about 22 pounds in 3 weeks). I've had one fill, but now I'm afraid to return to the doctor because I've only lost about 45 pounds since my surgery. I tend to overeat because I don't feel that fullness I use to feel. Now I think I've overstretched my pouch. I need suggestions on how to shrink it back to normal size. I was thinking about going back on the clear liquid diet. Please help me. I feel horrible =(

I can still fill the restrictions sometimes when I eat certain foods, so does this mean the pouch isn't stretched?

You don't need to worry about 'shrinking' your pouch (and I doubt that's possible in any case). Ask yourself. Can you eat 3-4 oz of Protein, 1/2 cup of vegies and 1/4 cup of starch and go 4-5 hours without being physically hungry? If so, then your band is working. The rest is up to you. If you can't, then you need to go in for a fill because that's what the band is supposed to do.

You don't need to worry about 'shrinking' your pouch (and I doubt that's possible in any case). Ask yourself. Can you eat 3-4 oz of Protein, 1/2 cup of vegies and 1/4 cup of starch and go 4-5 hours without being physically hungry? If so, then your band is working. The rest is up to you. If you can't, then you need to go in for a fill because that's what the band is supposed to do.

I can eat more than that. I often eat almost to what I was eating before I got the surgery.

I can eat more than that. I often eat almost to what I was eating before I got the surgery.

So can I...and I'm at my sweet spot. Even when I was overfilled and getting stuck on things, I *could* eat as much as I did presurgery.

The question is...are you eating because you're *hungry*? If so, you need to get a fill.

If you're eating just because you can or fall prey to head hunger...the band won't help with that.

A lot of people find that when they eliminate carbs (particularly those found in processed foods, wheat and sugar), those head hungries disappear. You might try that if that's what you're dealing with.

So can I...and I'm at my sweet spot. Even when I was overfilled and getting stuck on things, I *could* eat as much as I did presurgery.

The question is...are you eating because you're *hungry*? If so, you need to get a fill.

If you're eating just because you can or fall prey to head hunger...the band won't help with that.

A lot of people find that when they eliminate carbs (particularly those found in processed foods, wheat and sugar), those head hungries disappear. You might try that if that's what you're dealing with.

I believe I'm eating just to be eating. I really don't get hungry much, but due to the loss of a family member, I've found myself dependent on food again. Whenever I begin to eat the food comes back up, but then I try eating again, and that's when the over eating starts. I looked up this 5 day pouch test, and I'm going to try it starting tomorrow. Hopefully it'll help.

I believe I'm eating just to be eating. I really don't get hungry much, but due to the loss of a family member, I've found myself dependent on food again. Whenever I begin to eat the food comes back up, but then I try eating again, and that's when the over eating starts. I looked up this 5 day pouch test, and I'm going to try it starting tomorrow. Hopefully it'll help.

The 5 day pouch test or even the lapband itself wont help you if you are eating to fill an emotional void. The lapband only helps you with the physical feeling of fullness.

You need to go for counseling or therapy in order to learn how to deal with the pain and suffering you are feeling without turning to food.

Best of luck with your journey.

The 5 day pouch test or even the lapband itself wont help you if you are eating to fill an emotional void. The lapband only helps you with the physical feeling of fullness.

You need to go for counseling or therapy in order to learn how to deal with the pain and suffering you are feeling without turning to food.

Best of luck with your journey.

I don't think I need counseling or therapy. It was recent so, this is just for a brief period. I plan to begin the 5 day Pouch Test to regain my restriction, and start all over!

Have you only had one fill in the the year since surgery? You're probably able to eat as much as you can, because you need another fill. You're probably not feeling any restriction.

You should go back to the doctor, at least once a month, depending on what the dr suggests. You shouldn't be worried about the amount you lose, when you don't have proper restriction.

Instead of doing the 5 day test, go to the dr and get another fill.

Sorry for your loss!

Get back to the Doctor, don't be scared or embarassed, just do it! Get a fill and really start thinking with your head, not your heart, about your hunger. Do NOT have junk in the house to eat... GET RID OF IT ALL!!! Get exercising and be proud of every ounce you lose. If I can do this, you CAN do this. I was a horrible eater, sweets were my thing and I overate at every meal! I thought I would have such a hard time with the band but I really wanted to do this and you know what I found out... I CAN DO IT!!! I really can. If I have junk around, I eat it.... so I dont' have it around and guess what, I don't miss it. You know what I enjoy even more than all those sweets i no longer eat... losing weight. I really feel GREAT about every single pound and when I go a week without losing I just keep going and when that next pound comes it's better than a brownie! I am 7 months out of surgery but I make a standing monthly apointment with my clinic. Sometimes they give me a fill, sometimes they don't. i'm honest with them about my eating habits and how I'm feeling. They want to see you succeed and they see people all the time that are having problems making the band work... they will help you! Really, the key is knowing your not hungry, not eataing just to eat. Believe me, I sometimes still eat things I shouldn't but I get right back to it, I don't beat myself up, I just get back to it! Good Luck to you, I know you can do this... Get back to your Clinic!!!

I have had 5 fills in order to get some restriction. My guess is that you need a fill.