Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4cc bandsters,,,first fill with fluoro or not???

Sign in to follow this  

Hello 4cc, 10 cm bandsters!

Advice please!

I am 6 weeks post op the second week of January. I had my surgery done in Mexico and I have a couple of choices for my first fill:

1. Go to Fill Center 2 hours away, they do not use fluoro. I can do this on a Saturday and not miss work. Other positive is that if I need an unfill, I am in a much better place to go for it.

2.. Go back to Mexico, same doc, and will definitely get my first fill with Fluoro. I would have to miss one to two days of work to do this.

3. Use a fill Center in the US that uses fluoro. I would still need to travel by plane likely as I am in Iowa where there is not much support unless you want to cash pay $25,000 big ones for your surgery, in which I did or could not!

ADVICE AND SUGGESTIONS???

Thanks, DRP

I think this may be a decision only you can make. Can you afford time off? How far are you from Mexico? There are too many other variables that you didn't discuss.

Is there a reason why you only want to get a fill using fluoro?

I had my second fill on Monday. My doctors office just does a standard fill... they feel for the port, numb the skin with a little needle you can't even feel and then use the fill needle to insert into the port. The whole process takes only a few minutes....

I don't think you need to go to someone who only does fluoro unless you've been told by a doctor they can't find your port or they think your port is flipped. If i were you I would go to the fill center which is more convenient for you.

I have had no issues at all with my band. I am steadily losing weight, nothing miraculous, just 13 pounds since my surgery on November 25th, but I am happy with it. I am not starving myself, but trying to be careful.

My only concern about a fill without the fluoro is that I have the 4cc band and from what I have read on this forum, usually people need less fills to hit the sweet spot and after the first fill, it seems that each fill is very, very small, sometimes with fills, then unfills, etc. So, I didn't know if having the fluoro might me get a good fill. I am fairly new at all of this and I love hearing from others about what they would do.

I am not really concerned at all about not having fluoro at the fill, but wanted input from others as to if people thought it was necessary. I am truly leaning towards the fill center. I could take time off from work, but would rather not. Not only that, I am a single mom, and would need to arrange childcare while I am gone, so going to Mexico will turn out to be fairly expensive for me with flight, hotel, fluoro fee, taxi fee, childcare and time off from work. But doable if necessary.

Thanks so much for your feedback so far!

DRP

I had all my fills under floro but only because my Doctor has one in his office. I think first fill skip the floro then . . . after a couple of fills go for the floro just to make sure everything is working good. If you have a small band they will probably go slow on your fills that is the best way. Just my opinion!!

Cheri

Personally I would never have a feel without fluoro. If they can't accurately see what your restriction is then it is all guesswork, I prefer to not guess. Have you called all the band doctors in your area? I don't know where you are in Iowa but I get my fills here in Kansas City and I was banded in Mexico. Paid $1000 for unlimited fills and appts for 6 months.

THANKS WINDUS! I sent you a personal message to get more info on your fill doc.

DRP