Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

needing help and motivation

Hi i had my lapband surgery on 30th august and have only lost 5kgs since surgery but it is purely my fault.I have eaten anything and everything.I have no restrcition and never feel full.I am going for my 3 rd fill on 5th jan but only have small amount as my port is on its side and its very difficult to fill.I also have rheumatism of the muslces which makes exercise really quite painful which really gets me down as i want to get fit and healthy.I feel like i am failing and dont know how to pick myself out of my rut.

Has anyone been in my situation or have any advice or ideas to help me pick my self up it will all be very helpful.

Let's get back on track! No time like the present. You posted and asked for support, so you have not given up and still want it. Go back to measuring your food and get all of your Water in. I think those two rules alone are a good start. No more than 1/2 cup per meal (is what my doctor says). Can you take 3, 10 minute walks today? If not, try doing 2. Any movement will help. It's easy to to get in a rut but you have to take the steps to get back on tract. You will be proud of yourself for getting back to it. You went through the surgery and pain for a reason. You want to be healthy and happy. Go for it! YOU have the choice to make it happen. It's tough, but there are SO manny people on here fighting the same battle, and winning. Go for it!!!

Don't give up Lacey, you can find support here. Many of us fall off the wagon every now and again -- you can get back up, just as we have. You just need a little support to get rolling ... consider it done!

You say you have "rheumatism", we don't use that term "medically" much here in the U.S. anymore, but I read that it is still used in other countries and can sometimes mean "fibromyalgia". Are you on pain meds for it? I have spinal stenosis (which is actually arthritis of the spine) which can be very painful. I had back surgery in 2004 and cannot run anymore, but I walk. I walk 1 1/5 miles 5 days a week. Every week or so I add another 1/4 mile. What I have learned about arthritis is that a body in motion stays in motion. So, if I don't move I will continue to be stiff and in pain. Do I wake up some mornings feeling like "nooooo, I can't do it"? Yes, I do, but I do it anyway because I have found that I am getting stronger. My Ortho told me that while my spinal stenosis will not get better, the weight loss and strengthening of the muscles around the spine from exercising will help make my back stronger. He was RIGHT! Wow! So, if you don't have fibromyalgia, but you do have arthritis, start small and slow (and be sure to take pain meds -- I take Tylenol arthritis because it is time released). I don't know how much you weigh so I don't know if you are morbidly obese or obese or what. But, exercise is a big part of this journey. You may want to start with the food as suggested by hokiemama and move on to the exercise when you have lost a few pounds more. YOU CAN DO THIS Lacey!

Just don't be too hard on yourself. You are not in a race with anyone. Doesn't matter how long it takes, just keep trying. It will get better. You are NOT failing.

All the best to you on your journey!

~Fran

It's really hard to fully use the band if you don't have restriction. I understand that your port is hard to access but really talk to your Dr. about making a plan to get you to full restriction so you can start losing. It took me a long time to get restriction, but once I did the weight fell off. Don't get discouraged - the band is great once you get restriction.

You already know what you need to do. Just believe in yourself and get back on that wagon!

You already know what you need to do. Just believe in yourself and get back on that wagon!

Thank you all and Happy new Year and im going to make it just that happy new year.I have started my healthly eating today , im already having cravings as i have christmas food around the house that im trying to avoid.

Thank you all for your support and i shall keep everyone updated on my progress

Lacey,

First, you say you don't feel 'full' but that's the wrong 'feeling' to look for. What you should be looking for is a cessation of hunger. The band works by putting pressure on the vagus nerves, which then tell the stomach to stop producing ghrelin, the hunger hormone. If you eat 3-4 oz of Protein, 1/2 cup of vegies and 1/4 cup of carbs (beans, rice, potatoes, etc.), you should be able to go 4-5 hours without feeling hungry. If you have blood sugar issues, you may need a small Protein pickmeup midway between your meals (hard boiled egg, 1 oz of protein, low carb/low cal protein drink). I used to but no longer do now that my blood sugar is controlled...and without insulin these days!

If you're dealing with a constant hunger, then you do need a fill. If your port is on its side, ask your doctor how this can be fixed. I know they can fix them, without surgery, even if they flip completely so one would assume if it's partially flipped, they can also fix it. In any case, get your fill if you're hungry. If you aren't hungry, then you're already at your sweet spot.

If you feel you can't exercise at this time, then don't. Studies show that exercise is not necessary to lose weight so there's nothing holding you back on losing the weight right now. Hopefully, as the weight comes off, you'll feel better enough that you are able to move more. Heck, I detest exercise, but I actually have my moments when I *want* to go out for a walk now...something that never happened in the past.

Rheumatism is a very generic term to cover hundreds of unidentified aches and pains and isn't really used in modern medical context anymore. As near as I can tell, they now call it fibromyalgia when you have unidentified aches and pains and they can't find a medical reason. A friend of mine was diagnosed with fibromyalgia years ago. She refused to accept that there was not a reason for her pain so, based on her reading, decided to change her diet to exclude processed foods. Protein - broiled or roasted, fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains. She eliminated wheat and sugar at this time as well. Within a month or so, her pain disappeared. I don't know what type of diet you're eating, but perhaps restrict your carbs to those found in vegetables and eliminate wheat and sugar and see what happens.

Toss the Christmas food. I cleaned out my pantry and got rid of all the 'temptations'. Unopened stuff went to the homeless shelter. The rest went into the trash can...and no I didn't feel guilty with all the starving children in China. My eating the food won't help them any.