Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The measuring question

It is so crazy how different each surgeon is with their protocols. I think it gets confusing sometimes when reading forums and what other surgeons say that contradicts what my surgeon says. I pretty much go with my surgeon since I trust him completely. (My Nutritionist is the on the same page as my surgeon). So there is always the question about the amount of food....what measurement to use. My surgeon says your entire meal should FIT IN a 4 oz measuring cup! He said weighing with a scale is NOT the same. He said the pouch is designed to hold the size of a 1/2 cup of food total. Weight of the food is not the issue. Now, I've seen very different responses on here about weighing with a scale. I wonder why there are such differences? I've even seen where some people's doctor says they can have up to 1 and 1/2 cups of food. Well, I just had my first fill and the 4 oz. measuring cup full fills me up for now. I am going to try to stick to that and see how it goes. It's time to get this weight off!!

my doc said 2-3 cups of food is what ill eat for the rest of my life each day

docs are diff for diff reasons- my doc is so strict because she has high success rates

I think when you are losing weight you will have less, when your band has lots of restriction. Mine says 1 - 1 1/2 cups of food per meal in the long term.

That's still a little confusing; it is assuming food goes into the pouch and just sits there. Depending on the level of restriction and the type of food, it will go through at different rates, so though you may JUST finish 4 oz. of food, depending on that criteria you may not have 4 oz. sitting in your pouch. An unfilled band for many people creates no restriction and large amounts of food may still go right through, so different levels of restriction would seem to create different sizes of pouches--wouldn't they? :blink: I'm curious if he prescribes different amounts for maintenance? If he wants his patients to continue with the 4 oz. meals once they reach goal, those 4 oz. meals would have to significantly increase in their calorie (and probably fat/carb/sugar content), unless he just wants patients to add several Snacks a day in.

My doctor is OK with up to a cup of food per meal, as long as you're not depending on slider/unhealthy foods and are still losing (if you're still trying to lose). My band is moody, so sometimes I can eat more than that, sometimes less--that includes three meals and a snack or two per day. Overall I'm actually still losing though I've far surpassed my goal and am at a healthy weight. I've even upped my calories--the only other thing I can do is get a slight unfill so I can eat a bit more. 4 oz. doesn't cut it for me now, and definitely wouldn't in maintenance unless it's pure sugar or fat! :P

I am a bit confused about the weight and measurement of food being different. I just opened a can of tuna and drained it. Then, I weighed it....4 ounces.....then measured it.....4 ounces. So, by my calculations, the weight and measurement are the same.

I am a bit confused about the weight and measurement of food being different. I just opened a can of tuna and drained it. Then, I weighed it....4 ounces.....then measured it.....4 ounces. So, by my calculations, the weight and measurement are the same.

Weight and measurement are different depending on the type of food. A 4 oz. (1/2 cup) measuring cup of chips, lettuce, popped popcorn, etc. weighs less than 4 oz.

Weight and measurement are different depending on the type of food. A 4 oz. (1/2 cup) measuring cup of chips, lettuce, popped popcorn, etc. weighs less than 4 oz.

So, with solids such as meats, the weight and the measurements would be the same? I ask this because I am not allowed much of anything except meats and veggies.

I'm not sure what he recommends for maintenance, since I'm pretty newly banded. I do know that all of the classes, handout,s and support groups consistently say 4 ounces of food per meal. No snacking. He says to eat food that will stay in the pouch. Mainly meats and some veggies. He says not to use Protein Shakes or Soups after the regular diet phase begins. He says they won't fill you up and you need to eat 3 solid meals per day (do not skip breakfast) and limit carbs. He has a high success rate and I do trust him. It just blows my mind at how different each surgeon is about requirements and recommendations.

So, with solids such as meats, the weight and the measurements would be the same? I ask this because I am not allowed much of anything except meats and veggies.

Not necessarily; the oz per cup measurement is based on Water. From what her doctor is saying, he wants each meal to be no more than 1/2 cup, regardless of how many ounces that 1/2 cup of food weighs. In a way I like that; it's easier than a scale! :D

I'm not sure what he recommends for maintenance, since I'm pretty newly banded. I do know that all of the classes, handout,s and support groups consistently say 4 ounces of food per meal. No snacking. He says to eat food that will stay in the pouch. Mainly meats and some veggies. He says not to use Protein shakes or Soups after the regular diet phase begins. He says they won't fill you up and you need to eat 3 solid meals per day (do not skip breakfast) and limit carbs. He has a high success rate and I do trust him. It just blows my mind at how different each surgeon is about requirements and recommendations.

You are so right, docs are very different. My doc gave me very little info. I've learned a lot on this forum. When I would go in for a fill (I am at my sweet spot and haven't had a fill in several months), my doc would say "drink liquids for the rest of the day and eat solids starting tomorrow." And that's ALL he would say. LOL! My doc is a general surgeon and I think they are a lot different from docs that specialize in WLS. I am okay though. Slow start, but losing like crazy now. I haven't been on a scale in about 8 months, but I started this journey at a size 26 and I am wearing a pair of size 16 slacks today ... and they are loose. I am going to have them taken in soon ... can't keep buying new clothes every month ... well, I could ... cuz I like to shop ... buttttt ... not so good for my budget, you know? LOL

Another thing, I and others I have read on this forum, still drink Protein drinks. I drink them for Breakfast EVERY morning. I would LOVE to have and egg for Breakfast, maybe a piece of toast (or even half) or a sausage, but, alas I absolutely cannot get ANYTHING solid down before lunch. I have tried, on the weekend, to have an egg for breakfast, I have tried to have a thin slice of quiche that I made for my family, NO LUCK. My band is very finicky and some days will not allow me to eat at all! To be honest, on the days my band won't let me eat at all, it is because I have not had enough Water. My blood pressure med has a diurectic so, I have to be very careful or I will become dehydrated and that is a big "no, no" with the band.

One thing is for certain, we are all individuals and our bodies sometimes react differently to the band. You are very fortunate to have a good and knowledgeable doctor. I am sure you will be very successful following his intructions. I have had to take a different path in learning how to eat with the band since my doc was not very knowledgeable -- a lovely man, a competent surgeon -- but NOT a WLS surgeon. But I think what matters most is that we are all on the path to reaching our weight loss goals. HOORAY FOR US!

All the best to you on your journey.

Happy New Year!

~Fran

Over the past 18 months I have learned to look at these things more as "guidelines" and not hard "rules".

For example, I can eat more than 1/2 cup of Soup, but the solids in the Soup are about 1/2 cup. The liquids tend to go through and the solids stay in the pouch. I listen very close to my full signal. I don't measure anything. After awhile you learn to eyeball the amount of food you put on your plate. Many bandsters feel so much better with measuring, tracking, and counting everything. I just can't live that way. I can't let my life revolve around my band or around my diet. That just is not the way it works best for me. You have to use the guidelines, get proper restriction and find the way it works best for you in your life. It just may be that measuring and counting is the best for your own journey. My way has worked great for me, but may not work well at all for someone else. Your Dr.'s rules may work best in his/her mind, but not for the rest of your life.

If my Dr. had a hard rule about not skipping Breakfast, I simply could not follow that rule.

@L12- you are exactly right. He wants the meal to measure no more than 1/2 cup. He does not care about the "weight" of the food. Even meats....as long as it fits in 1/2 or less, it's fine. I do think that is an easier way than having to buy a scale and keeping tract that way. I carry a 1/2 cup in my purse. (I have yet to whip it out and use it at a restaraunt!). I do the eyeballing and try to stay at 1/2 cup. He says to measure and that when we try to eyeball it, most of the time we are eating more than 1/2 cup. I see a lot of people on here who calculate every calorie and carb as well, but I don't. I figure, If I'm only eating 1 1/2 cups per day of food total and most of that is Protein....I'm going to lose weight! I may lose it slower than some people though because of that. Oh well, like was said, we are all different and have to figure out what works for us.

@Phranp- the breakfast things is a little hard for me. I prefer no breakfast, just a Protein shake. This is against my surgeon's advice. I do try to have 1/2 cup of cottage cheese for breakfast some mornings. I can't eat eggs :( but mostly I don't have time to eat breakfast or I'm just not hungry. I think his concern is that if you skip a meal, you will be too hungry for the next meal and overeat. So far, I'm not starving at lunch if I have a Protein Shake for breakfast, so that's what I usually do.

Phranp: Wow, you have done very well not to have strict guidelines. My surgeon only does WLS so I have TONS of info and STILL have some questions. I couldn't imagine having to try and figure it all out on my own. There is such conflicting information. I am surprised that some docs don't provide as much detailed information. Thanks goodness there are forums that exist so people can get information from those who were given the information. Goodness, I feel fortunate now that my surgeon is a little OCD about it all. :)

I find that hard to believe because measuring certain type of foods can be different and also chewed food is different also , it all comes down to control make healthy choices and you will be fine I am 4 months post op and havnet had a fill yet and im down 88 lbs

Lance: Don't get me wrong. It totally matters what you put in the measuring cup! Of course my surgeon wants healthy foods in that 1/2 cup - mostly lean Proteins. He discourages carbs, fried foods, sweets, etc. I didn't mean that I figure as long as I just eat 1/2 cup per meal that it didn't matter what is in there and I'd lose weight. I definately know that the little bit of food that goes in my pouch needs to be low fat, low sugar, high Protein. I just don't write down the calories and carb numbers and stay in a specific range. I probably should and hopefully I will get there...for now I'm not as motivated as some....

You are doing awesome, by the way! 88lbs in 4 months! WOW :o