Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone on here over 60 years old besides me?

I am 71yrs young. I do not have a date yet.Go for my 6mo. check withmy pcp ,then I will see the LAP-BAND® Dr. I just hope medicare will cover this:drool:

medicare pays 80%

Does almost 70 qualify. Lap Band was done on 5/24/10 have lost 29 lbs to date. :confused:

pgr. How did u do, hav any pointers?

I will see the surgeon Aug .3 I will also see the nutritious & psychologist the same day.If I pass everything they will let me know when I'll have the surgery.Let me know how things are with you. Becky:tongue2:

I was banded on 3/17/10 and will be 68 next month. Surgery for me was a breeze, as I definitely have had more painful surgeries. The pre-op diet wasn't a problem, but different doctors have different diets. I just knew it had to be done if I wanted a healthier life. I haven't had any problems yet even though I have 4.2 cc's in a 10 cc band. Haven't reached what they call the "sweet spot" or green zone but hopefully it will be soon.

So to those who are going to have surgery, good luck. You are on your way to a healthier you.

I was banded on 3/17/10 and will be 68 next month. Surgery for me was a breeze, as I definitely have had more painful surgeries. The pre-op diet wasn't a problem, but different doctors have different diets. I just knew it had to be done if I wanted a healthier life. I haven't had any problems yet even though I have 4.2 cc's in a 10 cc band. Haven't reached what they call the "sweet spot" or green zone but hopefully it will be soon.

So to those who are going to have surgery, good luck. You are on your way to a healthier you.

Thanks for encouragement, im getting banded july 22.

Im 68 and have been banded for 4 mons and loving it

Isn't it great! I will Celebrate six months on 9/17/10 and haven't felt this well since 2004. Wish I would have had this done three years ago when I first mentioned it to my PCP. But I would have probably never found out what the cause of my misery was. Either way I feel great now and can honestly say I am really glad this band was invented, as I would be eventually looking at a lifetime being on oxygen, or death from a pulmonary embolism. Now I have a better life and will Celebrate an appreciate it to the max.

I'm 63 and will be banded on Sept 30, 2011 any suggestions for a newbe?

LOL. Most of ya'll that I have seen your age are youngsters! I am feeling a little old "up in here".

Nanahanna (Sharon)

Yes, I am closer to 70 - I am wondering if anyone has any problems eating certain foods. Do you? Also, what are the negatives of your lap band surgery?

Hi

I'm 62 but getting younger and healthier every day since lap band surgery biggrin.gif. We may loose more slowly than the youngsters, but we will get there!

I will be 62 next month and I've had my band for 10 years. I have loved it all this time and lost almost 100 pounds. This year I started having lots of heartburn and problems at night. Kept raising the pillows under my head, but would wake up feeling like I was drowning. Lots of coughing and raw throat, so I went in to have my band checked. Sure enough it has slipped after all these years.

I had food posioning several months ago that caused lots of vomiting and that's when I think the slip occurred. I am scheduled to go back into surgery in two weeks to repair the slip. Anyone dealt with the repair before?

I will be 62 next month and I've had my band for 10 years. I have loved it all this time and lost almost 100 pounds. This year I started having lots of heartburn and problems at night. Kept raising the pillows under my head, but would wake up feeling like I was drowning. Lots of coughing and raw throat, so I went in to have my band checked. Sure enough it has slipped after all these years.

I had food posioning several months ago that caused lots of vomiting and that's when I think the slip occurred. I am scheduled to go back into surgery in two weeks to repair the slip. Anyone dealt with the repair before?

Hi,

Yes, I had a slip and repair on Oct 14, 2011. I came through with flying colors! The surgery is not as bad as the original. Maybe, because I knew what to expect. But the gas was not like the 1st, and the surgeon used the old scar areas to operate. My problem came from a bout of stomach virus and excess vomiting. I, too, had the problems that you describe. Wow! You had your surgery 10 years ago. I am so happy for you! You should be fine after surgery.

My slip was bad, but the surgeon only had to readjust the position. He thought he might have to remove and replace. Yeah! He did not. Good luck! By the way, I am 63 years young, and getting younger everyday!!!! Karen

Karen,

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm scared to death! Not sure why except i'm older now and just hate surgery of any kind. Dr. Jayaseelan did my surgery 10 years ago and I was his 8th patient! That, in itself, was scary, but I really liked him and trusted him.

I've had my ups and downs with the band as well as personal battles with food, but the band has worked for me. It took me a good two years to get the weight off, but I found after the fill was completely taken out, I could eat foods I hadn't tasted in years. This was not good! I found myself packing the pound back on and now I have about 40 to lose all over again. I just pray this surgery is successful and I can get back on track.

I'm starting my Clear liquids diet today in preparation for the surgery....UGH! Please say a prayer for me. :) Nanci

Karen,

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm scared to death! Not sure why except i'm older now and just hate surgery of any kind. Dr. Jayaseelan did my surgery 10 years ago and I was his 8th patient! That, in itself, was scary, but I really liked him and trusted him.

I've had my ups and downs with the band as well as personal battles with food, but the band has worked for me. It took me a good two years to get the weight off, but I found after the fill was completely taken out, I could eat foods I hadn't tasted in years. This was not good! I found myself packing the pound back on and now I have about 40 to lose all over again. I just pray this surgery is successful and I can get back on track.

I'm starting my Clear Liquids diet today in preparation for the surgery....UGH! Please say a prayer for me. :) Nanci

You got it! Praying now! I hated the empty time, too! I new that I had nothing in my band after my surgery, because I could eat salads, and raw fruit. I had not been able to eat either for 2 years since band placement. I now have 3.45 cc and am not sure that I have much restriction. bui I am going on a cruise and then returning right before Thanksgiving. So, I was not wanting to be too tight. Anyway, doing okay, just having trouble controlling my appetite. I find that I needed to increase my excersise program to keep from eating all the time. Good luck, Karen

Hey, I'm 60 and was banded 7/7/11 - I feel great and this thing is workin'. I have lost 66 pounds with 52 more to go. I'm so glad to hear there are others that are 60 + out there..Yeah us ! Happy Thanksgiving..