Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 days post op and cheated:( on holidays!!

I feel so bad...I am only 8 days post op, my family is in town for Christmas (not making excuses), and I got off of my thicker liquid diet....I was thinking that I would feel sick after doing it so, however I feel absolutely fine. This scares me.... I want this thing to work and I am really hoping that I did not mess anything up with my band like slippage or something. My family is leaving tomorrow so hopefully things will go back to normal. I am just feeling terrible right now....I mentally prepared myself for this weekend, but after being on liquids for a full week the smell of holiday food just totally overwhelmed me....Anyways, can anyone just give me advise?

I am in the same boat with you.I am on my 9 days post op ,and I am in the mushie stage ,I had been doing really good except for these last couple of days still doing all food mushed ,I believe that our bands are not yet should we say activated as in not filled.

For that reason we are craving food more than last week.

Our bodies are in recovery right now just make sure you keep strong and once we get our fills we will start the fun!!!

You guys have nothing to worry about. Actually, they rarely leave anything in the band and other than postop swelling/soreness, you probably won't have any restriction until you get a few fills. Enjoy the holidays and don't be so hard on yourself! Good luck and congrats!

Forgive yourself and continue on with your program. You've had a nice time with your families, now start learning about living with the band. I think we all fall off the wagon at one time or another. It is a powerful tool to forgive oneself!B)

I feel so bad...I am only 8 days post op, my family is in town for Christmas (not making excuses), and I got off of my thicker liquid diet....I was thinking that I would feel sick after doing it so, however I feel absolutely fine. This scares me.... I want this thing to work and I am really hoping that I did not mess anything up with my band like slippage or something. My family is leaving tomorrow so hopefully things will go back to normal. I am just feeling terrible right now....I mentally prepared myself for this weekend, but after being on liquids for a full week the smell of holiday food just totally overwhelmed me....Anyways, can anyone just give me advise?

PLEASE DON'T FEEL BADLY. I DID A NUMBER ON MYSELF TODAY AND WENT OFF THE WAGON FOR XMAS AND TOOK MYSELF DOWN GUILT LANE. JUST GET OVER IT AS I AM DOING AND START AGAIN TOMORROW.

BTW - AFTER FIVE DAYS ON LIQUIDS, I WENT RIGHT TO SOFT FOODS AND HAD NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER. BE GOOD TO YOURSELF AND START AGAIN.

CSOLO

Being guilty is a pointless emotion. It can't let you undo what's been done. Having said that you need to go back on your doctor's eating program NOW. The reason for the liquid and mushie foods is to get you nutrition but not require you stomach to churn. Churning is bad becuase your stomach has been stitched above and below the band to keep the band in place.I am four months out and yes I ate stuff yesterday that I should'nt have. I will be sending home all the candy with my mother for a family party in two weeks and will go back to eating correctly.

I'm eating more than the 1/4 cup of mushies but I'm not going crazy and I'm scared to eat anything too big or any bread. But yea I noticed the lack of restriction. Just make sure you pick filling things like oatmeal and chili then you won't be that hungry

You guys have nothing to worry about. Actually, they rarely leave anything in the band and other than postop swelling/soreness, you probably won't have any restriction until you get a few fills. Enjoy the holidays and don't be so hard on yourself! Good luck and congrats!

I wouldn't say that doc's rarely leave anything in the band. I know several doctors who put in "starter" fills during surgery. I came out of surgery with 3cc's already in mine.

To the OP: It's ok, you probably haven't caused major harm with one variation from the plan. Call your doctor tomorrow and confess what you did. They might possibly advance your diet sooner. If they don't advance you, try very hard to follow what you're supposed to be doing to allow the band to seat well. Although it doesn't seem like it now, when you eventually look back at this it will seem like such a short time.

Thanks for the great advice and support from everyone....I have my Protein Shake in hand and starting back on thicker liquids tonight.....I will also get a good workout on my new X-Box Kinetic tonight!! Do you guys think its ok to have Gumbo without rice? My mom is from Louisiana and instead of Soup she made a gumbo which is awesome!

Are you on full liquids or Clear Liquids? If you are on clear liquids I would strain and only drink the liquid. If on full liquids you should be able to have the liquid and any veggies (so no meat or rice) blended.

Are you on full liquids or Clear Liquids? If you are on Clear Liquids I would strain and only drink the liquid. If on full liquids you should be able to have the liquid and any veggies (so no meat or rice) blended.

true confessions, I am on day 7 post op, and last night and tonight I had some nuts after my parents went to bed. It really sucks, cuz all this week I have been returning and trying new Protein powders and (I think I've tried 9 in total, whey, soy and egg) and they all start to make me feel sick after 3 or 4 sips, though I tried and liked them pre-surgery), so for the last 7 days I have probably gotten not much more than 60grams Protein in TOTAL and they told me to get 60grams a DAY (that would be 420grams by now! So I have been living on broth, Jello, sf ice pops and Water + Powerade zero for a week!

I was soooooo good I didn't cheat at all until last night...I'm really trying but I am getting NO nutrition which is probably why I am craving the nuts (salt, fat and protein)

I am calling my dietitian 1st thing tomorrow about the protein thing, but I am so afraid that I have displaced it. I am REALLY going to try NOT to go off plan anymore. I go to full liquids tomorrow which opens up A LOT more choices so I think it will be way easier not to cheat b/c I will have something besides Water in my system

As far as fullness goes after 1/3c mixed nuts (less last night) I def could not eat anything else because I feel I would be sick (and I certainly could have b4 surgery of course), but I don't feel sick and although I am thirsty I am going to try hold it on the fluids for an hour (or at this stage should I actually drink NOW because then my stomach wouldn't have to churn as hard?)

I didn't know some surgeons filled during surgery so I didn't even think to ask that. I just hope I didn't cause any slippage....I'm really worried

A suggestion, try pre-made shakes, they taste way better. I like the Myoplex lite. I mean sure, they aren't delicious but FAR better than the powder.

When do you go in to mushies/puree? If anything i'd try eating like oatmeal or chili or something, not nuts.. I'd worry about taking solid food, because it's hard to digest.

A suggestion, try pre-made shakes, they taste way better. I like the Myoplex lite. I mean sure, they aren't delicious but FAR better than the powder.< /p>

When do you go in to mushies/puree? If anything i'd try eating like oatmeal or chili or something, not nuts.. I'd worry about taking solid food, because it's hard to digest.

Hi . . . I'm 2 days post-op and hate the liquid Protein choices I've been given. I'm afraid I am not getting enough Protein now. Any suggestions?

u can get liquid protein...not only on shake form..u can take Protein Shots (35 grams!),protein water(15 grams) (isopure) ,myoplex lite (17 grams)... you need to explore, explore and keep exploring..i did reading and also the doctor office can recommend u some different types.good luck

I have tried Muscle Milk Light and Premier chocolate Ready to drink shakes and they are pretty good. Also when making your own shakes if you use fat free milk that helps alot with the flavor. Also I made mine with milk "ice cubes" and used a blender which helps the texture makes if more like a frappe. Also fat free suger free pudding powder and suger free coffee flavoring syrups help the taste.