Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New, and scared, and don't know where to begin.

Sign in to follow this  

Hello. I'm not really sure of where to begin with this post, but I guess that I'll start by saying that I am dangerously... well, obese, I won't lie to myself any longer about it. I am 5'4" and as of yesterday evening, 302 pounds. :( I have a BMI of almost 53, which has scared the living daylights out of me, especially since I'm still able to not only walk, but run, stand on my feet for long periods of time, fit into "standard" sized seats, etc. I simply didn't think that I was "that bad". But the inevitable health problems have begun to crop up, and I'm frightened that if I don't do something now about the weight (I'm 38 years old), it'll simply get worse over time.

Last year, my health provider suggested the idea of surgery, but I immediately nixed it because I was under the impression that it was a very dangerous procedure (however, it wasn't LapBand I was thinking of, but Roux-en-Y, which I still would rather not do - I think I'd prefer the weight problem over my stomach being stapled). Unfortunately, I no longer have that same health provider due to an insurance switch - so now I have no idea of how to go about it finding out how to get qualified for the procedure. From what I've read on this board and others, I know that I have to meet a certain BMI requirement (at a BMI of 53, I don't think that'll be an issue), and that possibly I may have to show that I have tried other options (which I have, I've been on Weight Watchers since November of last year with little to no results). I have not tried Jenny Craig or Nutri/System or the like - and I'm hoping that I don't have to, because I don't think they're going to work for me at this point.

I know that I need to see my primary doctor at this point and explore options. I know that I'll have to be tested for everything under the sun before they'll approve a surgery. I'm honestly scared, as I've had some really rotten experiences with doctors and health care in general - but I know I have to do this. I also have a lot of mental health issues (severe depression, amongst other things) which I think may have been a major contributing factor in causing the weight gain in the first place.

Anyhow, I just wanted to introduce myself, I guess. If anyone could point me in the right direction as to how to get started, what I should do, what things I can expect, I'd be grateful.

Thanks. :)

I strongly suggest that you go to the www.lapband.com website and find a surgeon in your area that is trained and qualified for the lapband procedure. Then make an appointment with them and let them navigate the insurance situation. They know exactly how to find out if your insurance will cover the procedure and can probably find the right situation to get you going toward a more healthy life. I just had the lapband procedure 2 weeks ago and it was really not scary or painful at all -- I know that this will be the way I can make a new life for myself and you can too! Be sure you choose a surgeon who has been trained and qualified through the maker of the device -- they have the most training and the most expertise. I don't know where you live, but I am in California and my doctor is Carson Liu who is one of the leaders in this procedure. I have other health issues as well -- high blood pressure and depression. I did start on an antidepressant and counseling to deal with that, and then the next step was finding the lapband surgeon -- it is a whole life overhall and you need to take care of all issues. I wish you courage and good luck to start your journey. You deserve it!

Welcome!

Yes, finding a surgeon is your first step. Most cities have someone doing them now because it's not difficult to do and it really helps people. It is just a tool, however. You will need to get over your fear of doctors and commit to going in regularly for fills and consults. They are there to help you and keep you on track. Aim to get a really thick file at the office...As I grew thinner, my file grew thicker. Don't "tough it out" with your depression either. There are many antidepressants on the market these days that can really get you over the hump and help you work towards a new future. When you are thin, you probably won't need them anymore, if you deal with your issues as you lose.

In the meantime think about reading "the south beach diet" if you haven't already. It's very band friendly and it helps with the sugar cravings, etc.

Good luck on your journey!

I'm not sure if this will help you but I got the lap band surgery December of 2009 and it is the best decision I have ever made. I chose it over the other types of surgeries because this one is adjustable and after you lose the weight you wont worry about regaining it because when you start you can get the band tightened back up. I also chose this surgery because I generally eat too much not just eating the wrong food. So far I have lost 60lbs and am continuing to lose weight.

Hi CRay 1972,

I was banded about 3 month ago. I was reluctant to have the procedure for years but finally listened to my doctor who thought I should have the lap band procedure. I'm so glad I finally listened! To date, I've lost about 30 lbs. The surgery itself was not at all bad with minimal pain. The worst part of it was the gas pain and pain near my port. The gas pain went away in 1 week and the port pain lasted about 1 month. Since my surgery, for the first time, I really believe that I will LOSE THE WEIGHT AND KEEP IT OFF FOREVER. This feeling makes me feel liberated, like I have a huge weight that has been taken off my shoulder, excuse the pun.

I think the first thing you should do, if you have not done this sufficiently is to really research the lap band procedure compared to the other procedures. What I liked the most about the lap band was 2 things: 1) that is is adjustable and 2) that there is no "cutting" or rearranging your insides.

Even before looking up a lap band surgeon, make sure this is the procedure you want and can live with. You will need to change your life permanently. You will need to eat slowly and chew food very carefully. You probably won't be able to eat certain foods. For me, these changes were worth it but make sure these changes are worth it for you. There is plenty of information about lap band procedures on the web that you can research. After you are sure, find a really good physician in your area that has performed many procedures successfully. I mostly chose the lap band because the lap band can change size as my stomach expands or contracts so it is always the right size for me. That is important. You don't want to lose all that weight only to regain the weight later. I've done THAT enough times!

Just about all medical officers will require you to consult with or meet with a psychiatrist to make sure this surgery is for you. You will need to be honest with the psychiatrist. They just want to make sure you can handle not eating certain items and that you will work with the lap band to lose weight. The lap band alone will not make you lose weight. As someone else said "it is only a tool". YOU have to make it work.

Best of luck with whatever decision you make. The lap band can be the best choice for the right kind of person.

Maxi

I really appreciate all of the replies so far - thank you. I'm feeling a little better about the possibility of doing this.

To answer some questions that have come up: I am probably in the best area that I possibly could be for any kind of medical procedure, as I live in Baltimore and the closest hospital to me is actually Johns Hopkins of all places. smile.gif I have absolutely no worries about finding a qualified surgeon here - if I can't find them here, they probably don't exist!

Actually, I didn't know that the doctors themselves handled the insurance obstacles. That's probably a huge thing that's scaring the hell out of me right now, the possibility of getting my hopes up that I'll qualify for this procedure, only to have some faceless (and heartless) person on the other end of a phone inking a rubber-stamped "DENIED" on a piece of paper, a la "Dragnet". I found this board in the first place by searching my insurance company name to see if WLS was even considered covered (my insurance company website is no help). It seems to be covered from what I've read here - but who knows. I guess it won't matter much anyhow, as I'd qualify just on health reasons alone - it's not like this isn't going to be a big step toward saving my own life, because I know it will.

I'm more than ready for a permanent change, but there are things that I do worry about. My eating habits are, in a word, weird. I don't overeat - if anything, I don't eat enough in the course of a day. I don't get the normal hunger signals that other people do - if I were only to eat when I'm hungry, I wouldn't eat for literally three days. (It's happened before.) I've tried Weight Watchers (still on it) and I've had to force myself to eat all of the points because I just didn't feel hungry. I don't understand it. I weigh 302 pounds but I hardly consume anything. I know that I'll have to get this checked out and make sure that there isn't some other physical issue going on, but I know this isn't normal. I don't know if the cause is physical or psychological (could be the latter). It's beyond frustrating for me.

I have plans to call my doctor tomorrow morning and get the ball rolling about getting this started. Should I mention that my previous practitioner recommended that I consider WLS?

For what it's worth, my therapist is in support of my doing this, and seems to think that I'll be okay as far as the psychological issues are concerned. I do understand the massive repercussions that having the LapBand will involve, and I'm pretty sure that I still want to go through with it. As it is, I don't really eat anything now - I actually feel more comfortable drinking my meals than anything else, so minimal eating for me wouldn't be a big change. I actually find that I don't like the physical act of eating - isn't that strange? I don't like how it makes me feel afterward, either - I often feel bloated and slightly sick, even if it's just a small salad from Subway.

I'm aware that these reasons aren't enough to have the procedure done, of course. But at this point in my life, it's do or die. This weight will end up killing me if I don't get rid of it, and after struggling with this since I was 13 years old, I am so ready to make a change. I can't express how much.

I will definitely let you all know what the doctor said tomorrow. And I thank you for embracing me at a pretty confusing time. I'm still scared, but I know this is the right thing.

-c.

congradulations!!!!!...I am waiting for my 1st appt. but its a good wait...I can do it,I was told by a friend the other day,why rush your life,don'tyou want to be around to enjoy it once you get it, and beleave you me I want to see my self in a size 14-16 again.....so take your time and enjoy yourself,learn what your new(2nd) chance is all about and live life as it was ment to be lived(enjoyed)....camille01

congradulations!!!!!...I am waiting for my 1st appt. but its a good wait...I can do it,I was told by a friend the other day,why rush your life,don't you want to be around to enjoy it once you get it so stop rushing, and beleave you me I want to see myself in a size 14-16 again.....so take your time and enjoy yourself,learn what your new(2nd) chance is all about and live life as it was ment to be lived(enjoyed)....camille01

I looked at the Hopkins Bariatric Surgery Center a couple of nights ago, and viewed an information session. I've decided to fill out the required information package that they want, but one thing worries me greatly in that one of their requirements is that I have a "support network", i.e., family and friends. I do not have any family left that can help me, and very few social contacts due to my depression/mental illness. I feel very discouraged now about even applying, because once they find out that I don't really have anyone but myself... they may deny me on this basis (I'm not really sure of why that is - I may not have any visible source of support, but it also means that I don't have anyone to tell me it's the wrong thing to do, either, and that has to count for something).

I did take and pass a required quiz about the procedure and the correct reasons why I should be doing it, so maybe there's some possibility that this might work for me. Time will tell.

In any case, I've taken the first step. <gulp>

I think before attacking your weight thru surgery you need to give particular attention to your depression/mental illness. That can be the back bone of your weight issue.most insurance require a psychological evaluation as well.

Start going to the support groups and read thru this forums.theres an area that is only for help.

Best of luck!

Maybe you can find a support group to join, like overeaters anonymous or something similar. Somebody should be able to direct to you to one. Are you sure you're not eating enough? What about eating all the wrong stuff? Studies have shown that we consistently underestimate how much we eat. For instance, we don't always count what we eat when we're grazing. I would think that if you have a medical condition that was the causing weight gain, there would be other symptoms as well. I'm on thyroid med for an underactive thyroid. It makes a it harder to lose weight, but the truth is, I eat too much and I tend to love food that is not good for me. Just a thought...... afterall, introspection is key to your weight loss journey.

Good luck and try and stay positive.

I looked at the Hopkins Bariatric Surgery Center a couple of nights ago, and viewed an information session. I've decided to fill out the required information package that they want, but one thing worries me greatly in that one of their requirements is that I have a "support network", i.e., family and friends. I do not have any family left that can help me, and very few social contacts due to my depression/mental illness. I feel very discouraged now about even applying, because once they find out that I don't really have anyone but myself... they may deny me on this basis (I'm not really sure of why that is - I may not have any visible source of support, but it also means that I don't have anyone to tell me it's the wrong thing to do, either, and that has to count for something).

I did take and pass a required quiz about the procedure and the correct reasons why I should be doing it, so maybe there's some possibility that this might work for me. Time will tell.

In any case, I've taken the first step. <gulp>