Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Second guessing myself

Ugh. Today has not been a good day. I have read lots of issues with slipping and erosion and now it is making me wonder if this is a good idea.

I have known these are things that can happen and accepted that when I decided to start this process. Well now I am noticing so many people on this site are having their bands removed. I know health wise I need to do this, but I am wondering if I am making a mistake. UGH

I know many of you have had bad days and I am hoping you have some words of wisdom!

wow I am having those same thoughts today. It's like as my date gets closer I keep seeing negative things. I am so nervous it is driving me crazy.

Me too! I think part of the issue for me is that I'm starving on my pre-op diet and just want any excuse to stop it and eat. Wow...this journey has revealed just how fragile my willpower is. Could someone who's been banded please tell me that it gets better after the band? I think we need some encouragement....

I was banded 11/29/10. I fortunately did not have the pre op diet many people have to do, mine was just Clear Liquids 24 hours pre op. About three days post op I had a minor break down in the middle of the night, I was tired, in pain, and doubting what I did. The next morning I was feeling better and haven't looked back since. I am also fortunate that I still have no hunger pains, which I guess is due to healing so that is very helpful also. I have lost about 20 lbs in a little over 2 weeks and feel better everyday. My advice to you would be to follow the post op diet, and walk, walk, walk. The more I walk, the better I feel. I try to focus on the positive and the goal of weight loss and feeling much better :) Good luck and hang in there!

My doctor said slipping and erosion are actually rare. My surgery is on the 20th, so I am only 5 days away. I have been thinking, can I actually do this? What am I doing? Is this really what I want? I'm never going to be able to eat like I used to. Then I think, I am very depressed how I am now, have very few friends, and I even get depressed looking on Facebook seeing people going out together and I think, what about me? Now, I know my losing weight may not help this, but it is worth a try. There are so many things I want to do, but my confidence is so low right now. I want to take some form of martial arts, but I feel I am to fat right now.

So just think about the positive things that can come out of this and not the negative. Am I worried about the complications that can happen, sure, but I try to keep that in the back of my head and not think about it. One huge thing I am looking forward to is not feeling squished next time I fly!

I was banded on 1/28/10 and am very happy about my choice. I have had no problems with band slippage, erosion, etc. Don't dwell on all of the negatives and let that give you a reason to stop your progress. Focus on all of the positives that come from losing weight. I am amazed at how much better I feel and how differently I look at food now. My weight loss has been a slow process, but I am very happy with my progress. There are so many benefits that outweigh the negatives in this process. You need to look at it as positive as possible.

The pre-op diet is only 2 weeks out of the beginning of your new life. Take it a day at a time and don't get discouraged. If you're hungry, drink an extra glass of Water or another protien shake. Be strong.

Good luck with your journey.

Ugh. Today has not been a good day. I have read lots of issues with slipping and erosion and now it is making me wonder if this is a good idea.

I have known these are things that can happen and accepted that when I decided to start this process. Well now I am noticing so many people on this site are having their bands removed. I know health wise I need to do this, but I am wondering if I am making a mistake. UGH

I know many of you have had bad days and I am hoping you have some words of wisdom!

Remember most people who are happy and not having problems do not post so much on these sites. A lot of posters on these sites are the ones with problems. It does not reflect the whole. Slippage and erosion happen in 1-2% of cases. Slippage usually occurs with vomiting and overeating. That is operator error in the case of overeating. Erosion happens for unknown reasons sometimes, and in others cases, it is doctor error. Doctors sometimes put more sutures into the stomach or suture the stomach too tight to the band. The more experienced the doctor the less likely to make those mistakes.

These sites are informal and rarely have anyone with expert advise on them. I would advise you to talk to your doctors and staff.

Thank you everyone. I feel much better today. I am not on liquid diet yet. I think it is taking a little longer than I thought it would and I am thinking to much. I know it will be fine and in threw end I am making best decision for me.

Love hearing about peoples success.

again thank you!

Stephy I had the same concerns as you do a couple months ago. I worried about all the foods that I couldn't eat anymore and felt really sorry for myself. Then I realized that these are the foods that got me to where I am today!! Fat and unhappy!

So, I made a "bucket list" of the foods that I needed to have before my surgery December 30 and I've gone out to dinner and enjoyed these foods. Funny thing, they didn't taste as good as I thought they would.

The pouch is designed to hold 1-2 bites. After banding you have to eat really slow and put your fork down in between so that the vegus nerve in the stomach will signal the brain that it is full before you take another bite. If you stretch out the pouch by eating too fast, or eating foods that you shouldn't, you risk slippage.

I think that slippage and erosion are relatively rare if you follow the rules. And, my banded friends at support group tell me that I will not miss the old way of eating. My goal is to not stretch out my pouch, to work WITH my band and then I won't have to worry about slippage.

I have been going to Thursday night support groups that my surgeons office holds and I've learned a LOT about the band from other people in the group and most of them have had great success, not everyone, but they are eating the things that they know they shouldn't eat.

I encourage you to find a support group and make that your "me" night. Find your reason for having the surgery and keep that in the forefront of your mind.

Good Luck and let us know how you are doing.

Chris

I haven't been banded yet (12/27 is my day) but I can tell you that Elizabeth and Imagine have it right. My surgeon has done thousands of bands over a 6 year time period and has only experienced two of those dealing with erosion. Then the slippage is caused from overeating (as Elizabeth said) and stretching out the smaller pouch. The nutritionist told me today when I mentioned forums to "be careful what you hear." Because like someone else pointed out - many people that don't work with their band will be disgruntled and post negative reactions instead of taking into account that they may not have followed their doctors orders. For all the negative posts - I'm sure you can find thousands more positive ones. Don't second guess yourself. Get some good support behind you and be excited about changing your life for the better! :D

You are all so right. I have spent alot of time doing research and I have over loaded myself. I do have my monthly support group tonight and I know that will help. I am much better now. I think I just needed to have a freak out moment. So glad you all were around for support I really appreciate it!

You are all so right. I have spent alot of time doing research and I have over loaded myself. I do have my monthly support group tonight and I know that will help. I am much better now. I think I just needed to have a freak out moment. So glad you all were around for support I really appreciate it!

Me too! I think part of the issue for me is that I'm starving on my pre-op diet and just want any excuse to stop it and eat. Wow...this journey has revealed just how fragile my willpower is. Could someone who's been banded please tell me that it gets better after the band? I think we need some encouragement....

Hi GoodenoughAnne

I too am being banded Monday the 27th and have the same thoughts you do. Being starving doesn't help at all and today (Christmas) I shed a few tears while making dinner for the fam then making myself broth which I'm so sick of!! If it weren't that I personally know two people who've had it done and keep telling me I'll be so happy...I might have backed out by now. We should try to think that the discomfort and possible future problems are still probably better than what our health might be in years to come....

You will always hear about the negative things before the positive things. The band slipping or erosion are few and far between. I was banded on 8/12/10 and truly believe it was the best thing I've ever done for myself. Just stay strong and remember why you are doing the band. For yourself, to make yourself healthier! Best of luck to everyone about to be banded!! :rolleyes:

Getting the Band is so worth it. Yes it is a little rough the first month but so worth it! Just follow the rules and you will do great. I am 17 months out down 84 lbs. and would do it again in a minute. I went through a period of vomiting but it passed and did not hurt my band so just follow the rules and workout and in a few months you will be so happy you did this. I wish you all best wishes and remember you are doing this for you!!!

Cheri