Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do protein shakes make you gain weight????

I did read an article, on the e-diets site, about something called 'protein starvation'. It said that the craving for Protein slowed weight loss, so it was most important to get enough.Anne

YOu dont build muscle without working towards doing so though. No matter how much Protein you eat if you dont improve your physical output, namely exercise, you wont build much muscle.

And whilst it's by no means proven wrong, most of the scientific mumbo jumbo outlined in programs like Atkins is entirely unproven. You cant rely on it as absolutely true - they dont know for sure that eating Protein spares the body from burning muscle tissue in a low calorie situation.

It looks to me like moderation in all things is the way to go. Not much point having lots of muscles if you've got scurvey. The best thing about eating your protein rather than drinking it is it comes packaged with lots of good stuff like Vitamin B-12 or Calcium and a host of other things.

Totally different of course when you're on a liquid diet.

I agree that every doctor differs on this subject. My doc said no way when it came to Protein shakes. Her mindset was that they are calories that should be better spent on eating food, which will fill you up better than a liquid drink. That was just her point of view.

Back when I was so sick I got me a huge pail of Isopure Protein powder. I couldn't eat solids and I knew that I needed to get something into my system. But now I still have half of it left and am wondering what I'm going to do with it. I'll probably use up when I get my first fill, which I'll be on liquids for a few days again at that point.

I totally understand why you posted this thread girl, and don't worry about it turning into such a controversial thing. We are all here to support each other and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. Don't let it get you down. We still love you! Hugs!

I guess I should clarify what the nutritionist said, and that was with muscles starved for protien, they begin to rebuild when the body is reintroduced to the protien it needs to build that tissue (muscle).

I'm not banded yet, but I plan on using Protein Drinks so i can heal and not lose as much hair. They also give you long lasting energy, unlike carbs. Plus, if you are exercising you'll need the Protein for tissue repair and the drinks are a low fat way of getting it. I worry that I won't be able to swallow meat as well, too. It's a great question!

Teresa,

It looks like you've only been banded for a couple of weeks right?

In that case, it's normal to quit losing for a few weeks here. Protien shake or not. Your body is kind of freaked out right now, you went through surgery, probably dropped a few lbs right after that, and your body is saying "whoa, what the heck is going on here".

I would say to watch your calories and your protien, and if they are on track, to keep the morning shake in. :P