Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is scheduled!, but I'm not excited...

Let me explain. The doc's office called with my dates. I've finished the pre op testing so I was ready for a Christmas present of a lap band. She proceeded to tell me my endoscopy is Jan 5th, pre surgery appointment Jan 21st, and surgery feb 7th.

I know I should be happy that I have a date, but I can't stop feeling upset that it's 2 months away....

Need a little encouragement people!!

It will be here before you know it I am sure!! Just think of it as time to get you mentally ready for the pre-op diets and to get all the proper liquids and foods you need in the house for post-op.... I am pretty much two months out as well, Jan 28th, so I can empathize. I wish you luck!

Let me explain. The doc's office called with my dates. I've finished the pre op testing so I was ready for a Christmas present of a lap band. She proceeded to tell me my endoscopy is Jan 5th, pre surgery appointment Jan 21st, and surgery feb 7th.

I know I should be happy that I have a date, but I can't stop feeling upset that it's 2 months away....

Need a little encouragement people!!

I know 2 months seems like a long time, but it will fly by. I thought it would be an eternity before I got mine since I had to do 6 months worth of insurance requirements BEFORE my paperwork could even be submitted to them. Then Cigna took a month to approve me and then my surgey was scheduled for a month after that. All in all, it was 8 months from start to finish. I would never have dreamed that 8 months would go by so quickly.

You'll also need these last few months to get prepared if you haven't started already. I know I used my time to get my mind wrapped around what I was about to do.

I know how disappointing it is to not get an earlier date, but you're moving along. Remember where you were this time last year. Now you can see how far you've come. It sounds like you're really focused on knowing that this is right for you. Keep on doing whatever you're doing to give you that sense of certainty.

Before you know it January will be here, and then they'll be calling you to confirm for February. Enjoy your holidays. Wishing you the best of luck.

It will be here before you know it I am sure!! Just think of it as time to get you mentally ready for the pre-op diets and to get all the proper liquids and foods you need in the house for post-op.... I am pretty much two months out as well, Jan 28th, so I can empathize. I wish you luck!

You are lucky!!! I have Cigna insurance and they make you see a nutritionist for 6 months. I start Dec 9 and have to go once a month. My surgery date is May 11. I feel like I'll have to wait forever. I think time is really going to fly by though. I'm going to see the gastro this month. January I see the psych. March I see the pulmonologist. April I see the cardiologist. It might be good that I have my appointments spread out like this so it feels like I'll be closer to my surgery date as I make each appointment. Good luck to all!

At first after you get a date, it feels like forever! But it will fly by. My advice, use this time to start making changes, like not drinking while you eat and all that fun stuff. Start your exercise program even if its only walking. I thought I was all ready to do this! I was wrong. I should have taken the time to learn new coping skills, retrain my brain and eating habbits etc. Use this time to really prepare yourself and look inward. It would have made my journey a lot easier. I am still struggling with some emotional issues and discovering I really am an emotional eater even though I never thought I was, neither did my psychologist who did my psych eval. Start making lifestyle changes that will help you after surgery. These next two months really will fly by. Also, remember this is a slow process and that after surgery it will not be a magic miracle fix and it will take work to get the weight off until you get to your sweet spot. Surgery doesnt equal thin. THis is also something that I am working on. I am just trying to give you the benefit of my recent experience and I hope that it will help you. This is an exciting journey, although it can be rough. I wish you the best of luck and your band will be here before you know it!

Btw, the first few months with the band are kinda like not having one at all. you can start eating like you have a band now if you want to start making changes now. My dr told me that until you have restriction the band is just kinda sitting there not working for you at all that you are doing all the work. Or you can just enjoy your holiday and start making your changes on the first! Good Luck!

I was approved for surgery on October 20th, but the doctor and I couldn't get our schedules coordinated. We finally scheduled my surgery for this Monday, December 6th. I thought initially it was going to be forever, but I've used the time to try out and purchase Protein shakes, get the Vitamins and supplements I needed, try eating as if I already had a band, telling the people I wanted to know I'm having surgery, studing this Forum and others to learn all I can about how to live with a band, and generally getting myself psyched up for surgery. Now the date is three days from now, and I'm nervous but not scared. I've done my homework, and I'm ready for surgery.

Use this time as a preparatory period. The more ready you are, the easier your transition to post-surgery life will be.

Dave

Thanks everyone you have been so helpful & encouraging!! I have taken all your suggestions and will be purchasing Protein Shakes & bars to start drinking & eating trying to get adjusted to the changes. One thing I have noticed is since I began the process nov 1st I have been eating like a pig!! It's crazy, has this happen to anyone else?? My thought is my body is like give me all the bad crap one last time before I cut it out my life...

I was approved for surgery on October 20th, but the doctor and I couldn't get our schedules coordinated. We finally scheduled my surgery for this Monday, December 6th. I thought initially it was going to be forever, but I've used the time to try out and purchase Protein shakes, get the Vitamins and supplements I needed, try eating as if I already had a band, telling the people I wanted to know I'm having surgery, studing this Forum and others to learn all I can about how to live with a band, and generally getting myself psyched up for surgery. Now the date is three days from now, and I'm nervous but not scared. I've done my homework, and I'm ready for surgery.

Use this time as a preparatory period. The more ready you are, the easier your transition to post-surgery life will be.

Dave

Good luck with your surgery, and thanks for the kind words!!

Thanks everyone you have been so helpful & encouraging!! I have taken all your suggestions and will be purchasing Protein shakes & bars to start drinking & eating trying to get adjusted to the changes. One thing I have noticed is since I began the process nov 1st I have been eating like a pig!! It's crazy, has this happen to anyone else?? My thought is my body is like give me all the bad crap one last time before I cut it out my life...

I did the same thing, and even posted about it here someplace. I wasn't all that "food aware" until I'd decided to go forward with surgery, and suddenly I was eating everything in sight. Everything I tasted was extraordinary, and it seemed I just couldn't get enough. I think my body was gearing up for saying goodbye to the binges and massive meals it was used to. After a few weeks it subsided, and now I'm at the point where I look at food quite objectively, and I think of it in terms of calories and grams of Protein or carbs. Kind of "demystifies" things a bit, but it helps me to keep my eating under control. You'll come around.

We went to dinner tonight to Olive Garden, to have a "farewell dinner" of sorts, since I'm having surgery in three days, and this is the next to the last night I'll be able to eat a "normal" meal. I figured to heck with the pre-op diet I've been on (high protein, low carb, Atkins-like.) Since I'm going on Clear Liquids the day after tomorrow, and being banded the day after that, followed by three weeks of liquid diet, this was my big chance! And what happened? I ate smart, instead. I ordered the "Mixed Grill," which is skewers of chicken or steak and grilled vegetables. Potatoes come on the side. I ate maybe a fourth of it, and put down my fork. I was full, felt satisfied, and I stopped eating. I now have tasty leftovers for tomorrow. But the point is that even though I was giving myself permission to cheat, I couldn't do it. I figure I MUST be ready for surgery... :o

Dave

I understand EXACTLY what you are feeling. Why do I understand? Simply because my surgery date isn't until May 4th, 2011.

So you have MUCH better than I do, but I still understand the disappointment. Hang in there. Keep thinking positive and

like others have mentioned, be happy you have a set date. Others are anxiously waiting for the call of approval and you are one step from the finish line with

this waiting process. Keep your chin up because I'm doing the same thing. May is really far away from now, but hey, I'm still just as excited.

:)

I think excitement only leads to let down. Take it slow and be excited as you reach your goals.

We didn't get fat over night and we don't lose everything over night. Take it one day at a time and keep a positive CAN-DO attitude!

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I have put a countdown on my phone & my plans for each week which is helping me. Tomorrow I'm 9 weeks away and going to purchase so of the Protein shakes & supplements so I can get myself ready for the two week pre op diet.

This forum is so helpful, I have a great support system at home but it helps to have thousands of people who know EXACTLYwhat I'm going through!!!

I went in for a consultation last Tuesday, November 30th and I'm scheduled for surgery tomorrow December 5th. Phew....it has been a crazy week trying to get all the evaluations and tests run. At least I didn't have a lot of time to rethink my decision.

I'm scheduled for tomorrow too! Good luck!

Dave