Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP...FOOD ANXIETY

I was banded in June and this is my first real holiday eating around people that I don't know.

I am not nervous about eating too much, I am nervous about eating foods that I have not tried yet and having trouble and then having to explain.

This also happens when somebody that I do not know, or who does not know that i have had the surgery, is going to be around me when I eat.

If I know ahead of time I will stress about it until it occurrs and then I will barely eat.

I have never had anxiety like this over food before. Actually, this is not over food but over normal, everyday situations. When I am with people who know I had the surgery I do not worry. Otherwise I am overcome with anxiety.

Any Advice?

Well,I haven't had the band yet. hopefully in Feb. or March but when I do and this comes I will just say " no thanks I had the lap band surgery and I can't eat that". I have been very open in letting people know that I am going to have it and I will not have a problem telling them about it. Don't worry or think people will judge you, they probably did before so they probably will after, just know that you did this for you and no one else. Be proud of yourself, you are taking the right steps to becoming healthy and feeling better, dont let anyone take that away from you. Have a wonderfull Thanksgiving and don't forget what you are thankfull for.

Well,I haven't had the band yet. hopefully in Feb. or March but when I do and this comes I will just say " no thanks I had the lap band surgery and I can't eat that". I have been very open in letting people know that I am going to have it and I will not have a problem telling them about it. Don't worry or think people will judge you, they probably did before so they probably will after, just know that you did this for you and no one else. Be proud of yourself, you are taking the right steps to becoming healthy and feeling better, dont let anyone take that away from you. Have a wonderfull Thanksgiving and don't forget what you are thankfull for.

You don't have to say anything. No one is going to force food on your plate. Just take what you want and eat slowly. I don't think people will be focused on what YOU are eating. They will be busy stuffing their own faces. In fact, maybe they'll even feel guilty for eating 10 times the amount you are. You'll set a good example. If anyone does say anything, just tell them it's not your favorite dish or something along those lines.

Stick to protien, and maybe have some mashed potatos....Everyone has mashed potatos....And remember you don't have to finish everything on your plate,

and just try a small spoonful of everything. People aren't going to freak out is you don't finish everything, and they are not going to care if you don't care for something. By the time they have shovled everything into their mouths, and hit that full wall, they won;t even care what's on anyones plate....Then you could help clear the table and put thier plates on top of yours:D

I learned to do that when I over booked my thanksgiving and ended up having two in one day:D Just have a happy day!

I guess that I am not asking my question right.

It is not so much about Thanksgiving as just in general.

i.e. We are meeting a friend that my husband does business with and I have to go with him. We are meeting at the guys restaurant and I have had anxiety since yesterday when I found out because I don't know what is on the menu and I don't know if there will be anything tht I can eat. Then I worry about having an episode.

He is not really somebody that I want to tell that I have had the surgery, I have been open with just about everyone. I am not ashamed or try to hide it, but I also don't want to look lame sitting there while they eat.

I guess that is what I am asking. Not so much regarding Thanksgiving, just the anxiety that I feel over all when I know that I will be eating out or like the example.

Any advice..

You don't have to explain anything. It is nobody's business.

They probably won't notice anyways unless you bring it up. People usually care less what others are eating or how much.

Generalized anxiety is VERY common. If you feel it has gotten to the level where it is affecting your daily functioning then you should talk with your Dr. about it. Anxiety in one area can snowball in to others. Not trying to freak you out but this is an area of specialty for me.

As for the dining out situation, you may just have to start doing a ittle research before you go somewhere. Check out the menu on line or call the restuarant ahead and inquire. This might help you with some of the uncertainty and ease some of your fears. As might a glass of wine :-)

I am acutally a little bit afraid of food these days...which is different than what you are describing. I have had several instances where things haven't agreed with me and I'm afraid to eat things that I haven't tested yet for fear that my stomach won't handle it well. I am seriously sticking to a handful of tried and true meals that don't upset me and the 2 times I've gone out to eat since my surgery I've stuck to grilled fish (very soft) and a small potatoe.

I had the same anxiety issue for a while. It did pass. I find that if I stick with things like potato and a salad or Soup I am fine. Most every restaurant has those items. I only do potato when I am out so it is a good treat and I even use REAL butter. LOL

Try and do research as suggested. If the anxiety gets overwhelming, you should speak to your doctor. I am on anti anxiety meds for about 3 years and it was the best thing I ever did for myself and that was pre band.

Best of luck and enjoy Thanksgiving.

Is it possible that your band's too tight? I can eat pretty normally in public. Would a slight unfill make any sense?