Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I need an unfill for a Panniculectomy or Tummy Tuck?

I'm having a panniculectomy on Dec 3rd and still not sure about the Tummy Tuck at the same time. Has to do with costs... Do I need an unfill if I have just the panniculectomy done?

Some people have asked this question and I think most dont get an unfill.

I had a kind of mini tummy tuck and had a fill 2 weeks before the tuck. I didn't get unfilled before the surgery but then 2 weeks after surgery I started having problems eating and now 3 weeks later, 5 weeks after surgery I am going for a slight unfill. Was it because of the tuck? I have no idea honestly.

This is something you should discuss with your band doctor. All doctors have different opinions

Ask your PS if he thinks you should. Mine told me not to worry about it. I was concerned about nausea from the anesthesia, but they said they would give me two meds before I woke up and I had zero nausea.

But, they also told me that I wouldn't be hungry after my Tummy Tuck and boy were they right!! I lost 8 pounds in the first 2 weeks after surgery. Our bodies burn lots of calories trying to heal, so use the time to your advantage!! However, with that said, most people swell from the TT, so don't get discouraged if you don't see a loss. Stick with your program, and you will see a difference! I'm loving my tummytuck!!!

I had a Tummy Tuck 5 months ago and had my band completely de-filled at the request of my PS. She had done surgery on bandsters before and she had 3 main concerns for a de-fill...

1~ The possibility of nausea following surgery.

2~ The need to take numerous pills post-op. I was on pain meds and a full week of antibiotics after my TT. I was tight enough pre-op that I had problems swollowing pills...I'm not sure I could have taken my meds without issues if I hadn't had a de-fill.

3~ There is certainly a chance that you will lose some weight after surgery but my PS also feels that we need to eat very healthfully after surgery so that we heal properly and quickly. Lots of fruits and veggies as well as good solid Protein for a few weeks post-op is ideal for optimal healing.

You should certainly talk to both your band Dr as well as your chosen plastic surgeon to see how they feel about all of these issues. I would much rather be de-filled before and have no issues than be vomiting or getting stuck after my tummy tuck...that would ~NOT~ have been very pleasant.