Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What kind of diet are you following

I am 4 weeks post op and scheduled for my first fill this coming up Thurs. (11-18-10) I have been able to eat just about anything for the past 2 weeks. Yes I admit I have not stuck to the mushy food rule very well. I have managed to loose 5 pounds since surgery but it has been really hard. I am feeling like I am doing it all on my own. Exactly what I did before the band.

I have not totally given up all hope because I havent even got my first fill yet. Just curious as to what kind of diet you guys are following to see great results. I know the band is not a fix all and the weight is going to drop off over night. I am willing to follow a diet and I have already started going to the gym.

Maybe my dr will give me some advice when I go this week. Just curious what you all are doing to see results and if you all might have had this doubt in the begining as well.

Hi,

I am 2 weeks out from surgery today and this weekend i was to begin mushy (blended) food but it seems like i was able to eat soft foods as long as i chewed well it all worked. no Bandster hell. i was almost expecting it. i too feel like my appetite is slightly smaller but not what i expected 2 weeks post op. i wont be getting a fill for another 4 wks.

I didn't have any doubt in the beginning because I knew that I wouldn't have any restriction after surgery. There are only a few lucky people that have some sense of restriction before having an adjustment. I wasn't one of them, but I wasn't surprised.

I eat a balanced diet (when I say diet, I'm not talking about 'dieting'). Generally, I end up a 33%/33%/33% for my macronutrients. I eat anywhere between 60-90g of Protein, about 20-25g of fat per day, and my carbs vary. I don't do any fad dieting or anything (i.e. no carbs, no fat, or whatever is popular these days). For me, maintaining a lifestyle is not about dieting. I read a study that there is something like a 98% failure rate with the fad diets that are advertised. I eat things that I like (luckily, the majority of those 'things' are nutritious but I don't deprive myself of little treats...I just budget my calories so I can include them) and I track my calories like a crazy person (everything that enters my mouth, including the little sample I get at the super market, or the taste I take while I'm cooking....everything). I use fitday.com, and I really like it. There are other sites too. And most importantly, I do high intensity exercise 6 days a week, and something low intensity on the 7th day. I average about 10 pounds a month. In September, my body fat percentage was around 46%. Now its around 35% and dropping steadily :thumbup:

isaviolinist- great advice, you are doing well and it is showing with weight loss. 10 pounds a month is fantastic.

I too have lost weight successfully. I lost 107 pounds in about 10 months. I eat lowfat, lowcarb, high protien. Losts of chicken, fish, tuna, boca burgers. I drink a Protein Shake for Breakfast (i am pretty tight in the morning. For Snacks I eat nuts, beef Jerky, cheese sticks. I workout doing cardio about 5 days a week and do weights with a trainer 3 days a week.

I don't eat sweets or fried foods. I pretty much stay away from high sugar and/or high fat foods. Just what works for me. Since I am maintaining I introduced whole grains and healthy fat. I think everyone needs to find a plan that works for them. I feel like I am not able to do some things in moderation, so I just stay away all together. Good luck on your journey!

The golden rule..............( for me)weigh everything 4 0z per meal,protein 1ST,low glycemic carbs only. Light healthy snack in between meals as needed again Protein or fruit.Follow the no drinking fluids with meals rule.Remember this just because you feel like you can eat just as much as you could before surgery DON"T! This is a sign you need a adjustment!

Wow!! Congrats to all of you all.. Those are some great results. I am going to start keeping up with my calories so I will have some sense of control and know what I am consuming. 10 pounds a month is fantastic!! I plan on having a long talk with my dr and find out exactly what they are wanting me to do. Thanks again for the advice..

I didn't have any doubt in the beginning because I knew that I wouldn't have any restriction after surgery. There are only a few lucky people that have some sense of restriction before having an adjustment. I wasn't one of them, but I wasn't surprised.

I eat a balanced diet (when I say diet, I'm not talking about 'dieting'). Generally, I end up a 33%/33%/33% for my macronutrients. I eat anywhere between 60-90g of Protein, about 20-25g of fat per day, and my carbs vary. I don't do any fad dieting or anything (i.e. no carbs, no fat, or whatever is popular these days). For me, maintaining a lifestyle is not about dieting. I read a study that there is something like a 98% failure rate with the fad diets that are advertised. I eat things that I like (luckily, the majority of those 'things' are nutritious but I don't deprive myself of little treats...I just budget my calories so I can include them) and I track my calories like a crazy person (everything that enters my mouth, including the little sample I get at the super market, or the taste I take while I'm cooking....everything). I use fitday.com, and I really like it. There are other sites too. And most importantly, I do high intensity exercise 6 days a week, and something low intensity on the 7th day. I average about 10 pounds a month. In September, my body fat percentage was around 46%. Now its around 35% and dropping steadily :thumbup:

How many calories are you consuming??

I eat low-carb. 800-900 cal/day, 80-100 g Protein, <55 g net carb (from veggie, legume, and some fruit sources). Good bariatric Multivitamin and a couple of other supplements. Lots of Fluid. Daily exercise.

I don't do any specific diet. But I do focus on getting in all my Protein and then some, as well as limiting processed carbs and starchy carbs. I also get around 1400-1500 calories a day on a good day thru the week and on the weekends - whatever...I don't track weekends. Hubby and I walk daily weather permitting, or go to the "Y" with maybe 1 day a week off.

I haven't eliminated anything from my "diet", just smaller portions with a focus on Protein.< /p>