Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it time for a fill? Experienced Banders Please Help!

I had my band placed in June 2009. I have lost about 100 lbs give or take. I went from 309 pre-surgery (325 highest weight) to between 216 to 220. I seem to be fluctuating but not enough movent down in weight. I've had about 3 fills so far. I lose 5-10lbs immediately after a fill then slow weightloss, then a standstill like now. I have 5.5 ccs in a 10cc band. I definitely have restriction, I eat small meals maybe a cup and a half. Also, if I eat too close to bedtime I wake up at night coughing up food that has been sitting in my pouch undigested (bad idea, I know). It just seems like my food goes down too fast and I am eating more often than I should (about 4 meals plus snacks) and/or I can eat more than I should. For instance, a hot dog with bun. Also making good food choices are Is becoming more difficult, I think because of increased hunger at times. I try to make good choices most of the time, get in my Protein and exercise as much as I can. But I need to know...... Do you think it's time for a fill? My restriction was okay for weight loss now it's stalled. I'm afraid of being too tight. Advice please!!

Edited by W8TYGIRL

How long ago was your last fill and how much weight loss since that time? In my experience, I tend to lose pretty steadily after an adjustment and then plateau right before I need a fill. The plateau is accompanied by an increased appetite. My doc says that is perfectly normal because my band loosens as I lose weight.

You mention that you can eat 1 1/2 cups and I'm assuming you mean at a single meal. Since being banded I haven't been able to eat more than 1 cup at a sitting and 1/2 cup is more typical.

Gee, it sounds like the band is doing its job. The band is one piece of the puzzle. The other parts are up to us (healthy food choices, eating at appropriate times, exercise, Fluid intake, etc.). The part of the puzzle the band provides is Portion Control - which it seems to be doing. I suggest you look hard at the pieces under your control and make sure you are not expecting the band to do more than it can.

BTW, congratulations on your success so far. That is fabulous!

It may also be helpful to keep reasonable expectations. I was told the band will typically result in someone losing about 50% of their *excess* weight - though we would all like to get down to a BMI of 25, it may not be practical. Good luck!

I was in the exact same situation as you. With about the same weight loss. I decided to have a fill and was too tight after the fill but I toughed it out for 7 months and lost more. I was 220 and got the fill and then dropped to 169. I was aspirating at night no matter if i ate lunch at noon and nothing else that day, granted most days I couldn't eat very well and stuck with slider foods. IT WAS MISERABLE!!! If you get a fill, i'd get a SMALL fill!! I was finally unfilled 2CCs which brought me back down to 5CCs. I went back for a fill 6 weeks later and had 1.5CCs put in to be at 6.5. I just went bck and had 1CC taken out so now I'm back at 5.5CCs. My weight has fluctuated some. I am currently at 175 after the 2nd unfill. Goal weight is 155! My BMI is right at 25 right now as I am almost 5'10".

I believe it is possible to reach a healthy BMI with the band. In fact, most people I know with the band have achieved this. I would just be cautious with fills from this point forward. Being too tight was absolutely miserable!

W8TYGIRL sounds to me like you can eat too much hun.

I think a 3rd of a teacup is supposed to be the average meal consumption if you are filled to your sweet spot.

Thats what written on my Bandster identity card.

I understand the fear of being over=filled, had an episode like that last year. I sat up all night after the fill cos I couldnt even swallow my saliva, but it did ease off the next day, not a great deal, but at least I could swallow, and proceeded to lose 42lbs in the next couple of months.

Good luck.

It sounds like you might want a little fill, but not too much.

I'm not in the 1/3 to 1/2 cup of food is perfect camp -- the weight might come off faster for some, but it's SO hard to get everything your body really needs in portions that small. I shoot for about 1 cup per meal, but sometimes it's a bit less and sometimes a bit more.

Maybe a tiny fill would take the edge off the hunger, but not put you into the range where eating is uncomfortable more often than not. I'll agree with Mariasha too, if you overfill you may gain instead of losing. I did, because I was so afraid of getting stuck that I started to eat mushier foods instead of my normal healthy choices.

'm not in the 1/3 to 1/2 cup of food is perfect camp -- the weight might come off faster for some, but it's SO hard to get everything your body really needs in portions that small. I shoot for about 1 cup per meal
I do agree with that, but if you cant get more than a 3rd of a cup down you, the only option is a slight de-fill.

However I take multi vits to help compensate, because I cant eat fruit or drink smoothies that are basically fruit mushed.

The band is such a learning curve, and I find mine is different each day in respect of what foods I can tolerate. I only have a stone to go to reach my target, but have decided to have a 3ml de-fill in December.

I am going to enjoy Christmas this year and in the New Year will get the 3ml put back in, hopefully I wont have put on too many pounds.

I have in 6.5 atm and my band holds between 9 and 12 mls, so I spose I am lucky.

Last October I did the same as we went to the Far East and Australia, for 3 weeks, we did 10 flights in all, so I was a bit scared that my band would be too tight, it worked perfectly, I could eat anything (albeit very small portions) and drink wine with my meals,and had only gained 3lbs, by the December.

Just hope it works out the same this year.

Thanks to everyone for "weighing in" on this topic. Amy517, to answer your question, My last fill was June 2010. I've lost about 24lbs since then. I think based on everybody's advice, I will try to get a slight fill. I'll still try to increase my exercise and make better food choices. In the past when I have good restriction, it seems so much easier to decline bad foods because I stay full longer.