Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how often do you...

I hate to admit it but at least 5 times a day. Today is the first day I haven't done that and I am trying to stay away from it a bit. I am driving myself nuts and not good for my daughter to see that kind of behavior...

I weigh everyday (generally only twice in the morning...which is better than it used to be, because I used to weigh every few hours), but I'm trying REALLY hard to focus on my body fat percentage vs. the scale number. I get skinfolds to determine fat mass/lean mass every 6 weeks. My next one is at the end of November so I'm trying REALLY hard to just chill out with the scale and wait for the assessment at the end of the month.

Only once a week. On Mondays - so that I have a great Monday and look forward to it every day.

If I weighed myself everyday - I would get very discouraged and have troubles staying on track. :)

I have weighed myself everyday from the start. I bought a small 2 year calendar and record it every day. I see the pattern of my weight loss and now that I am at goal it is neat to look through it. I still weigh myself everyday (morning, after pee, no clothes same time every day) anf have given myself a five pound weight gain limit. If I go over 5 I need to get a tiny fill or up my exercise. Some think it's obsessive to weigh every day but for me it keeps me mindful all the time about my body and what it is doing. I find it helpful.

Barb

Every day. It helps me keep a handle on things. If I have gained then i can nip it in the bud.

Well, girls, sadly I used to be exactly like you all. If I weighed myself once a day, I did it 12 times a day! It got so bad that I would let the scale (a.k.a. "the metal beast") dictate if I was a good or bad person. My mood was up and down all day long and my self-esteem was based on the number on the scale. I ended up swinging wildly between anorexia and compulsive overeating. I have been going to therapy for over 2 years now to help me with these issues as well as going to OA to deal with the emotional side to my eating problems.

The simple fact is that the scale, in a way, can lie. Yes, it will give you a number but it won't tell you the full story:

1. muscle weighs more than fat so if you are working out a lot the # may just go up a bit. It isn't because you were overeating or doing anything bad, it was because you were doing something good! If you are anything like I was, I then would see that # and start KILLING myself over-exercising to get that # back down.

2. for us women, times of the month play a factor with Water retention and all.....again,nothing you did bad, just a natural process

3. (not to be gross) maybe you didn't have a bowel movement which, after you did, would change that # on the scale.

4. time of the day matters! As the day goes on, your weight will go up slightly. I used to try to go to the earliest WW meetings I could find, even if it meant me getting up an hour earlier every Saturday morning to drive to someplace inconvenient just in the event that the scale might tell me I was 1/4 pound less.....was it worth it????

BarBee used the word obsessive. Anna89 said she was afraid to face it and losing confidence. Jen36 said it was driving her nuts and setting a bad example for her daughter. Leah Rogers said that she would discouraged if she weighed herself daily. I don't know about you but that is not how I want to live my life. I found myself missing out on the smaller things in life and finding joy in them.

I don't want to appear preachy or anything. I just want to emphasize that we are more than the # on the scale or the size of our clothes. We had this surgery because we want to live a good long happy and healthy life. It takes making good choices and finding the strength to stay on track but it doesn't necessarily mean getting crazy over [multiple] daily weigh-ins however, if it works for you then have at it.

Good luck and be happy on your journey!

:) Katie

I weigh myself daily first thing every morning and have since my surgery date. It helps me to stay focussed and be mindful of my goal. If I find myself having gained a pound or two I know that my short-term goal is then to get back to my prior low weight and I like that constant feedback from the scale for that reason especially. After prior successful weight losses I found myself straying away from the daily weigh-ins and I feel it was detrimental to my overall success. It's just too easy for me to let a two pound turn into 20 and then the floodgates have opened.

:thumbup:Well, I weigh myself daily except when it's that time of month because I already know it's not going to be a true weight. I have tried not to do it everyday but I just can't help it! I don't let it determine how I feel for the day as far as being sad or depressed. I use it as a motivator to work harder in the gym or watch what I eat for the day. I have never missed a meal because I was not satisfied with the numbers. I know I must eat to live! I am so excited to see those numbers on the lower end of 300 instead of 12lbs away from 400!

I decided strictly wait for my Doctors visit monthly. I was so done with daily,weekly flucuations of numbers before being banded. My opinion is that it can be discourageing and I refuse to get caught up in it. I am in the habit now of gaurding against as much negativity as possiable,

several times a day. My scale is in the door way to the kitchen. i have to walk past it to get into the kitchen. It works for me. Keeps me honest and reminds me that I really dont need to go to the fridge to see whats in in it cuz i dont need it. works for me. when i stop weighing myself is when i get myself into trouble.

several times a day. My scale is in the door way to the kitchen. i have to walk past it to get into the kitchen. It works for me. Keeps me honest and reminds me that I really dont need to go to the fridge to see whats in in it cuz i dont need it. works for me. when i stop weighing myself is when i get myself into trouble.

Same for me. There is only one reason that I stop weighing myself: the scale is moving in the WRONG direction. I know I get crazed about it sometimes, and I'm trying really hard to focus on the changes in my body and also my body composition, but I need to weigh myself. Not gonna stop anytime soon.

Weigh yourself?

I am so bad....lol At first I weighed 2x/day...I found out that I was driving myself crazy and I was allowing the scale to dictate my day. Now I weigh every 2 days. It really keeps me on track but not pressured. I also weigh the same time everyday, in the am.