Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just banded Wednesday and starving

I just had my surgery on Wednesday and had a hiatal hernia repair as well. I am only aloud to have Clear Liquids, broth or juice 2 oz at a time. I feel sick from the hunger pains and so weak. I would like to know if anyone has tried something else during this phase that helps to get rid of the starving feeling. I can't have the shakes yet so I don't know what else I can do to make me feel like I'm not starving.

Are you only having 6 oz of "food" a day? If so there's been a miscommunication with the doctor. You need 60 g of Protein a day and I doubt you are getting that. At the very least you need to have Protein Shakes for the protein AND to not get dehydrated.

Maybe you should talk to your doctor. I was banded on October 15 and was able to start on Proteins shakes on the Monday afternoon after I had surgery. Even after starting on the Protein Shakes, I was still a bit hungry, but I had so much more energy.

I talked to the girl that answered the phone at the doctors office when I called and she told me to just have the liquids, which is not enough at all. It is only a choice of broth, grape, cranberry or apple juice diluted with Water, Jello, or Decaf tea. I'm only allowed a couple ounces so I really can't get the Protein in except for maybe a tablespoon or less into the 2 oz. of broth. I feel so weak and my stomach is growling so loud. I felt so sick earlier from the hunger pains that I pushed a saltine cracker and put it into the broth but I really need something else and there is no way that I can do this until I go back to see him on Wednesday.

A friend of mine had the surgery done and she gave me her diet papers to look at and she was allowed to start adding the shakes and other liquids on day 3 after surgery.

This is so much harder than I expected it to be and the pains and weakness from the hunger are bothering more than the actual incisions.

Did anyone else have to wait 7 days to have something more than juice, broth or tea?

OMG I hate that ur going thru this, but this is the exact thing my doc told me to do. I have been so weak and the hunger pains are pains i have never experienced in my life. He told me 2oz every 2 hrs no Protein or Vitamins until I saw him next week. This in my opinion is crazy and does not make sense. The human body needs calories, vitamins and protein to function let alone heal from surgery. I cried for 2 days straight and after asking many ppl on here finally said screw him. My boyfriend went and got me Kellogs K2O and that has helped take the edge off of the pain. It also has a tiny amount of b6 and B12. I don't know if it was in my mind, but yesterday I had more energy. Don't get me wrong I'm still starving, but not at the point of tears. Everyone tells me that I will get thru this hell and its worth in the end, but I am counting the days down. I knew it was going to be rough, but never had any idea it would be this bad. Good luck!

OMG I hate that ur going thru this, but this is the exact thing my doc told me to do. I have been so weak and the hunger pains are pains i have never experienced in my life. He told me 2oz every 2 hrs no Protein or Vitamins until I saw him next week. This in my opinion is crazy and does not make sense. The human body needs calories, Vitamins and Protein to function let alone heal from surgery. I cried for 2 days straight and after asking many ppl on here finally said screw him. My boyfriend went and got me Kellogs K2O and that has helped take the edge off of the pain. It also has a tiny amount of b6 and B12. I don't know if it was in my mind, but yesterday I had more energy. Don't get me wrong I'm still starving, but not at the point of tears. Everyone tells me that I will get thru this hell and its worth in the end, but I am counting the days down. I knew it was going to be rough, but never had any idea it would be this bad. Good luck!

Thank you so much for sharing that with me. I am sitting here so depressed and have been crying. I keep thinking that I might have made a mistake by doing this and I'm mad at myself for allowing myself to gain the weight and not be able to take it off on my own. I really don't want to be regretting this decision so early on and it's so much harder than I thought it would be.

I just took a yogurt and added a little bit of lactaid milk to it and added some protein and had a couple of spoons of that to try to take the sick hunger pains away. I think that it might have helped a little bit but I'm too scared to have more than a few spoons of it.

Is it normal for us to be this depressed so soon. I heard that it would be later on when you start dealing with the food issues but this is so early and I really don't want to get so down and out that I can't get back up. It is really sad and I'm so worried that I might have made a mistake by doing this.

I said the same thing, that I regretted doing this. I keep thinking I am so hungry when I finally do eat I'm going to eat a whole chicken to myself so what was the point of this band? Then I think its the hunger talking. Once I do get to eat something I'm not going to need to devour anything. Think of everything that you went thru to get here. All that time we thought it was worth it, so it still is, we are just clouded right now. Lots of people on here told me it was normal to feel depressed especially days 3-5. Keep looking at everyone's before and after pics. I went on you tube and watched ppls videos and that helped cuz I thought to myself those ppl can't be stronger than me and look at them now. We can do it too!

Edited by boricuanessa

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am just feeling so down and out. It is just so much harder than I thought it would be. I didn't think that I would have the hunger pains that I have either. It's so hard to think positive right now and I just can't wait to have something that will take away the empy feeling and the loud growling noises that are coming from my stomach.

When did you have your surgery?

I just had my surgery on Wednesday and had a hiatal hernia repair as well. I am only aloud to have clear liquids, broth or juice 2 oz at a time. I feel sick from the hunger pains and so weak. I would like to know if anyone has tried something else during this phase that helps to get rid of the starving feeling. I can't have the shakes yet so I don't know what else I can do to make me feel like I'm not starving.

Low salt chicken broth was really beneficial for me. The hunger pains were the worst. I hope you feel better soon!

My surgery was on Monday. I have been drinking that k2o stuff n drinking a lil bit thicker Soup (my mom made chicken soup n I strained it). I slept a lot too. Felt like if I was sleeping than I wldnt feel the pain.

Some people really bounce back quick after surgery! Wow, I was so nausea and the gas was so bad in my stomach I didn't feel hunger until almost a week later and then it was a small amount of hunger because the gas was still really bad! I just felt bloated all the time! I don't know which one would have been better the crazy hungry or the crazy gas? I hope it gets better with you.

The first week is really tough. I know I didnt get enough nutrition...all i did was sleep and drink Water and Protein water, which i hated. On the 7th day I started on a few foods; refried Beans, cottage cheese, egg beaters, sf Jello, sf popsicles and broth. I did that for 2 days. Now today I can have a little more. I'm scared to eat now because I lost 14 lbs right away and dont want to gain it back. I had a banana today and some jello. I am going to broil a piece of salmon later. I feel like now that I am getting a few things in my stomach I have more energy so I can start my walking again, I had no energy before. My dr said that i will probably get hungry until I have my first fill. I am worried, but I didnt go through that pain to gain any weight back. I am up to 18 lbs lost, so its worth it. I hope you start feeling better, I know its hard and scary!