Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 days post op. not eating enough

I had lapban on 21. Everything went great. Today I was supposed to start full liquid diet. I still have quite a bit of gas and feel like I need to burp. As a result I can barely drink my Protein Shake or have more than 2 spoons of apple sauce or cream of chicken Soup. Is this normal? I am afraid of overeating so I stop as soon as I feel something. I am not hungry but I worry about not getting enough Protein. Please help. What should I be eating and drinking and how much...And how do I get it down.

Take your time and do what feels good to you. If you need an extra day, don't sweat it. Right now the primary goal is to let your body heal, nothing more. If I remember (it has been a year) I was on Clear liquids for 5 days before I could add in things like cream Soup.

There is plenty of time later to worry about getting your Protein in.

It is cold and rainy and gloomy here today, so what I will recommend to you: sugar free hot apple cider mix. Delicious and comforting..... fix a mug and sit back to rest and get well. :)

Right now you should be chillaxing, healing and taking it easy.

You just had surgery give yourself time. You will probably be not hungry and not be able to take in much for a while. Your stomach is all swollen so you can't take in much anyway.

Give yourself time. Keep some fresh Water near your bed and sip on that constantly to keep yourself hydrated.

When I first came home from surgery I also was not hungry and I loved that feeling for a change and I basically just had Water and Diet Snapple or Crystal light.

You have time to worry about getting in your Protein and Vitamins and all that stuff.

Relax!!

Dee

Thanks. I guess I am just so worried about messing things up. I forgot about the stomach being swollen. So I don't have to force down the Protein Drinks?

No, you don't have to force anything down. That would go against the purpose of the band.

Enjoy this time where you are comfortable with not eating much because that will be over soon .

When you're able to start your mushies you can eat your Protein and drink your Protein shakes.

Did your surgeon tell you to have Protein Shakes now? or should you just be having Clear Liquids anyway?

Different surgeons different directions.

In any case relax you'll be ok.

Edited by msdv

I am supposed to be on full liquids for 7 days (Protein shakes, yogurt, instant oatmeal, cream of wheat...etc)

I am not really hungery or thirsty.

I am supposed to be on full liquids for 7 days (Protein shakes, yogurt, instant oatmeal, cream of wheat...etc)

I am not really hungery or thirsty.

Ok, that's good when I had surgery I could only have clear liquids at first like broth , Water, clear lo cal drinks, sf Jello. Thankfully, I was not hungry at all so I just sipped my Water and lived on CL and Diet Snapple. That's when I lost my most weight. After a couple of weeks the hunger started to kick back in.

Don't worry about the eating just make sure you sip your water or drinks to keep yourself hydrated.

In the next few days you may feel like a bite or two . Like my Hubby says "it is what it is!!"

Enjoy your weekend and feel better.

Dee

Thanks so much...you are a Godsend!!!!

Main thing is to keep yourself hydrated. Sip, sip, sip Water. When you can't get water down, it's time to call the doctor.

Edited by Cocoabean
Typo

I can drink Water. I am worried about taking big sips but my surgen said I my sips were too small and adding to my gas problem...ARg so what is to big?

I can drink Water. I am worried about taking big sips but my surgen said I my sips were too small and adding to my gas problem...ARg so what is to big?

Well, my surgeon said 1 oz every 15 minutes and not to chug. You also don't want to suck in bunches of air when you drink.

Never thought that just drinking Water would be so challenging, eh? :)

Hi, I got banded on Oct 21 also, and this GAS is something serious!!!!! I'm sure it will get better!

Thanks so much...you are a Godsend!!!!

You're very welcome Christina. Hope you feel better today.

Hi, I got banded on Oct 21 also, and this GAS is something serious!!!!! I'm sure it will get better!

It will. Try to walk if you can I heard that helps a lot and take some Gas-X chewables if you can.

Feel better today ladies.

Dee

GAX X TABLETS WORK BETTER TAKE IT THE FIRST THREE DAYS 3 TIMES A DAY ONLY SO SPREAD THEM OUT MY SURGERY WAS 10/20/10 SO i AM 4 DAYS OUT ON MY WAY TO Walmart TO SEE HOW FAR I CAN WALK THAT HELPS WITH THE GAS TOO, I AM LIKE YOU NOT HUNGER BUT LOOKING FOR THE HEALTHY food TO START WITH liquid THAT IS. THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS : SNAPPLE CREAM OF WHEAT, APPLE SAUCE, CREAMED Soups. I HAVE HMR shakes. GOOD LUCK HANG IN THERE. CHERIE

Even though you doctor said you can be on full liquids; if you cant get them down I would go to clear liquids until you feel better. I was on clear liquids + Protein Shakes for 7 days and for the first couple days I was'nt very hungry. I do think you need to get the Protein shakes down because your body is trying to heal. It can't really do that by burning fat. It needs protein. If I were you I would try ready to drink protein which tends to have a better texture and have more the consistency of milk. You need to stay hydrated and you need protein. The ready to drink protein that I keep in the house is Premier Brand from costco 160 cal for 30 g of protein. They are only 11 oz. and three of them would give you the required protein for the day.