Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Getting Banded on Monday and still haven't chosen a protein shake!

I am getting on this coming Monday the 25th and have yet to purchase a Protein Shake (I know I have waited entirely too long). I have researched and cannot make up mind. I have heard of Unjury, Syntha 6, 100% Optimum whey Protein and have also read about people that add protein to sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast. Advice and opinions are appreciated.

I'm not pre-op yet but I've always enjoyed this Protein Shake after working out -- it's 20 grams of Protein per scoop and you would normally use three scoops per shake but you could adjust to your needs (due to calories)

Not sure what the calories are off hand but I know that they are one of the lowest in Protein Drinks - --- doesn't hurt to check it out - good luck! :w00t:

GNC Pro Performance

Are you certain you will need them?

I bought bunches of the stuff only to find out my surgeon doesn't want me using shakes, or drinking anything with calories for that matter.

He wants me eating my calories. I ended up throwing alot of money in the trash when I got rid of the shake and powders I didn't use. I had read all the posts on here about people using shakes and thought I needed them continuously.

Every once in a while when I am too lazy to do anything for Breakfast (I start my work shift at 6:30 a.m.) I use one called Isagenix. But it is uncommon for me.

I used the Muscle Milk and it's not too bad though I'm not a big fan of the taste of most of the Protein drinks. I'm now eating regular food so try to eat very high protein foods so I can keep my drinks to a minumum. Good Luck!

Yes, my doc wants me drinking Protein in the stages of post op. I thought at first it was going to have to be long term, but I am sure I can get in my protein once I am back to regular foods. So far I think I may go with Unjury, havent heard of too many people that hate it lol.

For the most part I fall under the belief that most all protein's are the same... Protein is Protein. It's just finding one that you can drink with out adding too many more ingrediants in boosting up calories. I have been using the GNC AMP Wheybolic 60. I like it but think I may try the Isopure No Carb next. One hint, buy the vanilla, then if you want chocolate... add a little no sugar Nesquick.

John

Hi. I drink Atkins Advantage shakes. I've used them for a little over 2 years now and still like them. My doctor wants me to have one for breakfast every day.... forever. It works out well since my band is VERY tight in the mornings. Good luck to you.

I bought Muscle Milk Light. I tried it and it seems doable enought to drink for the pre and post op. I want to check with my dr. first, but I also heard about using Carnation Instant Breakfast sugar free with a tablespoon of unflavored Protein. If that is acceptable, that will probably be my way to go, since it tastes so much better, and it's a lot cheaper!!

So far, I really like the Unjury best.

I hate the premixed shakes of any variety.

Yes, my doc wants me drinking Protein in the stages of post op. I thought at first it was going to have to be long term, but I am sure I can get in my Protein once I am back to regular foods. So far I think I may go with unjury, havent heard of too many people that hate it lol.

Hi again,

That being the case, the post-op phase is short, and while you want something you can tolerate, I don't see it as something you need to stress over. :thumbup: You have enough stress right now! Go to your local store and pick up a few of each type of shake. That will probably be enough to get you through the post-op and onto solid protein.

One thing about shake advice, it is most often based on personal preference. So, because 10 people like x-brand, doesn't mean you will. As you said, not too many people hate Unjury (I've never tried it). Every time I hear it though, I think, who would choose a name for their product that is so close to "injury"? :)

I did Medi-fast for my pre-op, I found their shakes to be nasty and could barely choke them down. A thin friend of mine uses them all the time to help when she needs to lose a couple of pounds for maintenance. She thinks they are good.

During my post-op I used EAS Advantage. I also used Special K protein Water mix added to my Water.

I had bought some other tasteless protein powders to add to foods, but I either picked the wrong kind, or I have a discerning palate...I think the former! I could taste it--it was nasty. Also, the kind I chose apparently could not be added to warm foods. When I put it into Soups, it created a globby, gooey mess. But I think there is a technique to adding in while heating Soups.< /p>

Best wishes to you for Monday!!!

I use the premade muscle milk light ones. I got a case of 24 at costco for like $28. I have 2 a day (hello 3 week liquid diet) and as long as they are really really cold they arent bad, kinda like thick chocolate milk

Thanks everyone for your input. I bought a bottle of the Unjury (I too thought what kind of name is that lol). Hopefully that will be suffice to get me through the post op. I will also be looking into the Special K to add to Water (had forgotten about that one).

Thanks again everyone and cross your fingers for me that all goes well. I'm soooo nervous as to what to expect on the other side. :thumbup::)

hi my name is letty.. my surgery date is Nov.19,2010... i having the same problem with find Protein Shakes that taste good and have 100 to 250 Calories / more than 14 grams of protein.. someone told me about a shake u can by from FRESH and EASY Store. Is call PURE PROTEIN.. it comes in a can, it has 35 grams of Protein, it has 170 calories.. it comes in three flavors Cookies n cream, vallian cream, chocolate. its ok in taste... but this is the only one i find in high protein, low calories...

Optifast has been proven to shrink your liver, which increases your chance of a successful surgery.

3 meals is also under 500 calories a day. I'm still on it 2/3 of the day because I lose a lot of weight on it.

Thanks everyone for your input. I bought a bottle of the unjury (I too thought what kind of name is that lol). Hopefully that will be suffice to get me through the post op. I will also be looking into the Special K to add to Water (had forgotten about that one).

Thanks again everyone and cross your fingers for me that all goes well. I'm soooo nervous as to what to expect on the other side. :thumbup::)

The Special K would not be a Meal Replacement, I think it has about 5g of Protein. But when you are sipping your Water post-op, it adds some flavor and a little bit of Protein.< /p>