Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lets do this for thye FINAL time.

Finally checked out a free lap-band seminar after years of procrastinating. I think I'm really gonna go through with it now. Ive debated for years with people telling me "U can do it alone, you're just being lazy", "you're just not trying hard enough" or "when you're really ready to do it you will". Well Ive been really ready to do it for a long time and I have been trying as hard as I can. So here we go, I really think it's time that I just do what I feel is right and ignore all those bitches. biggrin.gif Anyway, I'm 26 years old, 5'6" 360 lbs. I have 2 beautiful children; 5 and 2. They are my motivating factor. I wanna be able to take them to the park and play without sweating my ass off and being tired (lol), or to an amusement park and actually be able to ride a ride with them, or just be less frustrated period. Its like everything I do in life is a damn workout and it shouldn't be that way. Ive struggled with my weight my entire life, I was really happy about a year and a half ago, probably the happiest Ive ever been in my life. I was on weight watchers (which I LOVE and highly recommend) I lost about 90 pounds and was down to 250 from 334. Now I am at 360.frown.gif I reached that plateau and was very frustrated, then got into abusing prescription medication and let my life go. BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE. I am excited to begin a new journey now and love me again. I don't want to do anything else but accomplish this. Its my main priority so I can go back to enjoying life, my children and pursue my career. I need all the support I can get, so I hope everyone here can become my new virtual family lolbiggrin.gif

Any comments or advice are greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome to LBT!

People just don't understand sometimes. When you have morbid obese numbers to drop you really do need something like the band. I am so glad you are doing it at a young age. You have so much life ahead of you and you need to be able to enjoy your kids.

In my own experience, the band has worked so great!

There have been a couple bumps in the road, but for the most part I am so happy with the band.

I'm just curious what were the issues you had with the surgery. Overall you're satisfied though? I wish you all the best of luck with the last 11 pounds. That is a tremendous loss. I hope I can lose like that! You're an inspiration.:)

One of the issues I had was left shoulder pain from pressure on my phrenic nerve. It lasted a couple months and drove me crazy. The good news is that it stopped after I dropped some weight.

Another issue was that I suffered from severe fatigue for months. I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome, so I'm sure this played a part. The good news is it got better.

Another issue I had was hairloss. I tried everything to avoid it, but still lost a great amount of hair. The good news is that it grew back.

The issue I deal with now is loose skin on my arms.

Yes, overall I'm satisfied with the band.

I am with HummingBird on this one. I love my band and all the great things it has brought me. I think there may be different issues for different people, but all in all...if you ask any one of us..we would do it again. Me, I would do it twentyfold. Th little things in life that I didn't realize I was missing, or was just too blind ot see them. My self confidence is through the roof and my boys (ages 9 and 6) are able to put their arms around me and touch their hands now. Little things. I have issues with my band being that I don't tolerate many meats and stuff, but have to say that other than a little puking....I have had no problems. Even with the Hair loss and such. (Other than no clothes to fit me :) But this is a good thing) Good luck!

Welcome! LBT is the best and most supportive board out there that I've been on so you've come to the right place!

You're among friends and band family now so settle in and get comfy. Be sure to update us on your journey as it progresses. :)

Ashea, your story sounds so similar to mine!

My mother and I both went on Weight Watchers (which is so valuable in showing you how to look at the nutritional content of what you eat), and while she's kept her weight off, I gained it all back and then some.

So many relatives said 'why don't you just go back to WW, you were doing so well?' Because 'were' is the key word. A lot of people that have weight loss surgery have been on the yo-yo of dieting for years, and if you've never been there, you can;t understand the frustration and difficulty it entails. A lot of friends and family will never understand, and some old 'eating buddies' may even get jealous. This community is a great resource for when you're feeling alone.

I'm on day 3 post-band, and the pain has receded enough for me to finally say I'm glad I did it. :smile:

blk-weight.png

Hey girl! I can definitely relate. I have a large family and would only hear that I was being lazy and that I can do it myself just put some effort into it...it was a struggle. I was just banded on the 6th and I have lost a total of 24 lbs so far. YAY! I KNOW I couldn't have done it without the band. My decision to have the surgery was only shared with 4 people, mom, sister, sister's hubby, and my boyfriend...the only people I KNEW would be supportive, never judged me and encouraged me all the way. It has definitely been a struggle, with the liquid diet and the surgery itself but I got through it and for once in my life I think that I am finally truly proud of myself, and I KNOW I can do it.

I wish you tons of luck and just know that if you're dedicated and are willing to work at it you'll be successful. One day at a time. :smile:

You know what? I have always been successful at anything I tried to do except lose weight. So when someone says "Your not losing weight because your lazy", I know they are WRONG! I couldn't lose weight (and keep it off) because I had a big stomach and it took a large amount of food to fill that stomach, now that I am banded, it doesn't.

Big stomach= too much food to fill it = fat.

Small stomach= little portions of food= thin.

Its simple math.

(Disclaimer: There are several variables, including but not limited to good placement by your surgeon, fills that are done in an organized way, learning to overcome the habit of overeating, learning to eat the right foods but for me, the band makes it all possible. )