Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

600 doesn't raise my eyebrows even a little, and I live with a man who has congestive heart failure and is on a strict sodium restriction.

Most Americans take in 5-6 grams of sodium a day--most of it hidden in prepared foods. That's 5000-6000 mg--most of it hidden in prepared foods. The Daily Value recommended for most people is no more than 2400 mg.

The standard sodium restriction for those who require it for medical purposes is 2000 mg. Most bodies need about 1500 mg/day. If drinking lots of Fluid and exercising, more may be needed.

So 600 at a pop? Definitely not a showstopper. It's pretty hard, with limited stomach capacity, to trip the wire of sodium overload. The band does a pretty good job of putting the brakes on, even for that.

My concern about prepared foods is that they often aren't nutritionally dense. A Lean Cuisine just doesn't pack the same nutrient punch that a similar volume of good-quality lean Protein and veggies packs. And it's not easier to prepare, either.

My cardiologist told me to try and limit sodium to 2,000mg and not go over 4K.

What is your take on carbs Betsy? There is a big difference between the 250 I was given and the 80 that Sparky said.

I am curious about the carb thing too. My nuturtionist said to just eat better choices and smaller portions. She did not say I had to limit carbs. I have wheat toast every morning. I was also told I could have lean cuisines for lunch or dinner. You guys got me second guessing that.

There could be any number of reasons you're losing so slowly. Hard to tell just from what you posted, but here's my .02...

Studies show that women who eat 1200 calories a day lose more and at a steadier rate than those who eat less.

Just because a prepackaged food says "Lean" or "Healthy Choice", it doesn't mean they are. With very little extra prep time, you can put a piece of steak, chicken or fish on a Foreman Grille (or fry it in a pan), toss some fresh or frozen vegies in a steamer or make a salad. If you want to add some carbs, it can be as easy as heating up a package of Uncle Ben's precooked brown rice. Nutritionally, it will always be better than the prepackaged stuff (and taste better).

Alcohol is *very* high in calories. A couple of drinks, depending on what they are, can put you easily over a day's calories...so can a 'little' cheating. Your best bet is to use something like Fitday.com (my personal favorite) and track everything you put in your mouth on a daily basis. Your total calorie intake may surprise you.

What's your activity level? The more sedentary, the fewer calories your body needs to maintain your current weight.

It sounds like you are active, but sometimes, it's not enough. I know you mention that you're eating lean cuisines, but the packaged foods are loaded with sodium, so you really need to pay attention to your Water intake. Are you getting at least 64 ounces of Water a day? For Protein, how much are you taking in? My doc tells me 70g, but I am actually around 80-90g per day and it does make a difference.

I understand the need for 'cheat' days here and there, but they should be every now and again during this time and when you get closer to goal, perhaps you could do more often (this is what I did, which is why I am still 10 lbs from goal LOL).

You have the tool to help and until you get a fill, try to find alternatives to one of the lean cuisines. Perhaps do some chicken and veggies for lunch or chicken salad with light mayo and wheat thins. I bring lean cuisines to work because it's just easier, but I make sure I drink a ton of water to balance out the sodium. 2 a day might be a little much, so you really have to get that water in.

The good thing about the band is that it's always there to help you, but to be successful, it truly is a way of life. It's not an easy road, but it's definitely a journey--we can't just snap our fingers and BAM! we're all following everything to the "t". So, pace yourself. Don't be hard on yourself and try to Celebrate your successes with things other than alcohol or food (me, it's usually a pair of shoes or new jeans LOL). I do have some wine during the weekend, but try to keep it within reason.

You'll get there. It's definitely not about deprivation, but moderation. Good luck to you!!!

That was excellent advice. I will follow it when I get banded on November 23. I weight 215 with a bmi of 35. My goal weigt is 140. I am so tired of the hospital staff telling me that I am too small to get the lapband and I shouldn't get it. Did you go through this? The nurses at the weight loss center has been very supportive but other doctors from the EKG, Blood, resp. I am glad to see that you made your goal.

Sources vary for how much of our diet should come from carbs, but keep in mind that these 'experts' just turned the several decades old food pyramid on its head. Nutritionists are self-styled experts who tout the latest 'theory' and generally believe in the 'one size fits all' diet...refusing to recognize that our dietary requirements are unique to all of us. At one time I wanted to be a nutritionist. After several semesters, I discovered that they don't really know what they're doing. They're just pushing whatever the current belief is. Doctors are generally not trained in nutrition at all.

Most 'experts' believe that 45-65% of our diets should be in carbs, so for a 2000-calorie-a-day diet, this amounts to about 225 to 325 gram of carbs a day. I discovered many years ago that I have problems with stabilizing my blood sugar levels if I go over 60. Normally, I try to keep them around 30-35.

Some people, like me, respond very well to low carb diets (under 70-80gm per day). Others respond well to the 45-65% range. The best any of us can do is to find a number and stick to it for awhile, paying attention to how we feel, whether we're losing, etc. Then adjust accordingly.