Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sept. 2010 Bandsters !!!

Hi Maxi2010 - looks like we have very similar numbers...and we were banded the same day.

Had my third fill yesterday. I don't have mine under flouro. So far I'm right on track and all is going well.

I don't get comments about my weight loss, but I'm also not losing at a rapid weight and most people around me are used to my weight going up and down. I don't think I'll get comments until I get below the range I have fluctuated in for many, many, many years. I do get compliments from my hubby. He likes that my hourglass shape is getting more pronounced as my waist gets thinner.

Hi Rambunctious.

You are right that we have similar numbers and the same surgery date! That's cool. We should keep in touch to see if we continue this trend.

I don't mean to sound as if my weight loss has been so amazing that EVERYONE notices. Not true! Most of the time, no one notices my weight loss or, at least, doesn't say anything. However, at times someone notices and makes a compliment. It's nice when someone does notice. My husband, like yours, says it is easier to get his hands around me now. He seems to notice my weight loss and likes it. He thinks I am losing weight at a good pace. I'm the one who thinks it is too slow, especially compared to other bandsters.

My weight loss currently is frustratingly slow - not even a 1 lb loss per week. Although my clothes seem looser this week, the scale says I gained weight (about 1 lb) this week, which is a bummer, especially since I have been eating within the program. I think I need more fill. I'm hoping that will help me to lose more weight and faster.

I can't eat less than I am eating because I get too hungry!

That's another reason why I think I need more fill.

Maxi

No weight loss this week for me, but my body fat percentage went down and I can wear a pair of jeans I couldn't wear a week or two ago. That makes me happy! I know my weight fluctuates a lot based on what foods I eat, what kind and how much exercise I get, how much sleep I do or don't get, etc. The day to day changes I have learned to deal with, although the sudden spikes to get to me sometimes, but overall I have a downward trend. As long as that downward trend continues, I'm happy. I'm 26% closer to my goal weight. Yea!! And in only two months. I figure it will take me 12-24 months from now to get to goal. I'm hoping for 12-18 months, but I want to be realistic and I know that last 25% is gonna be a lot of hard work.

No weight loss this week for me, but my body fat percentage went down and I can wear a pair of jeans I couldn't wear a week or two ago. That makes me happy! I know my weight fluctuates a lot based on what foods I eat, what kind and how much exercise I get, how much sleep I do or don't get, etc. The day to day changes I have learned to deal with, although the sudden spikes to get to me sometimes, but overall I have a downward trend. As long as that downward trend continues, I'm happy. I'm 26% closer to my goal weight. Yea!! And in only two months. I figure it will take me 12-24 months from now to get to goal. I'm hoping for 12-18 months, but I want to be realistic and I know that last 25% is gonna be a lot of hard work.

Your experiences sound similar to mine, Rambunctious! My gym shorts feel much loose than they did last week which sounds like I lost inches but my scale is not currently my friend and says I gained weight. I ate salty food for dinner and this may account for a Water gain but not a real gain. At least, I'm hoping.

Like you, I also worry about the last few pounds I need to lose, which I know will be very, very hard. I actually made my weight loss harder because I now want to lose 10 more lbs than I originally put down on my tracker. I originally wanted to get to 150 lbs but now I want to reach 140 lbs. I want to be square in the center of normal BMI for my height and weight and not on the edge of normal. I may revise this wish as I find it impossible to accomplish, but I hope not.

I also have long term goals for about 12 to 18 months as the time line for reaching my goal. I'm trying to also be realistic, knowing it is coming off slowly now, when it is the easiest to lose and I will be faced with weeks of weight plateaus in my future. I'm hoping it won't take me 24 months to lose all my weight but it might. I'm resolved that, if it goes out to 24 months, I'll still be happy because I will still be at my goal weight, an awesome feat! In the long run, the time it takes doesn't matter. Just getting there and staying with it is the key. However, it is the road we are on in getting there that is so frustrating sometimes. I just need to stay focused and not get bogged down with the minor problems we encounter along the way. Maxi

Hi Everyone!

I got my 2nd fill yesterday and I feel no difference… I actually think my doctor is very careful with fills… my first fill I only got .7cc and yesterday I got 1cc for a total of 3.5cc (Doc put some fill the day of surgery). My scale has been moving up and down like crazy… I gained 1 pounds, lost 2, gained 1 and now I am back down 2… so I am the same weight I was 10 days ago when I last posted… so frustrating… but when I look at the BIG picture I have to say that without the band… I would have probably gained 10 pounds… so that is what I need to focus on.

I am making Thanksgiving dinner so I can try to “be healthy” as much as possible. I figure if I cook, I get to have control of “most” of the calories I will eat. It is so hard to go to friend’s house to eat because you never know what they put in the food. So I guess I will be doing most of the cooking from now on… at least I love to cook and don’t mind it at all.

Less than a week till Thanksgiving… have a safe one.

Moni

weight.png

hi all, gearing up for the holidays, got my low cal no crust pumpkin pie and am ready to roll. thought I'd share this info from spark people, those that aren't on there it's a great site that I use to calculate calories etc on recipes so I know how much I can have, or what if I took this or that out, etc.

so I thought I'd share this

Let's face it: Thanksgiving is a day that, for most of us, focuses on food. You'll probably eat more than usual. I know I will. But, the in the words of my friend and fellow blogger ~INDYGIRL, "one slice of pizza is always going to have fewer calories than 2 slices of pizza." One trip to the Thanksgiving buffet table is going to have fewer calories than two. Two slices of pie will have fewer calories than three.

According to the Caloric Control Council, the average American eats more than 4,500 calories and 229 grams of fat on Thanksgiving day. That's more than twice the number of calories most of us should eat in an entire day, and enough dietary fat for more than three days!

The overload doesn't just come at the dinner table. Most of us start with a festive Breakfast, nibble on Snacks while waiting for the turkey to come out of the oven, squeeze in a second helping and sneak into the kitchen for late-night turkey sandwiches.

First let's look at an "average" Thanksgiving day, then I'll share some tips that will allow you to indulge in all your favorites but keep you from feeling so awful and bloated after the meal.

Breakfast:

1 large cinnamon roll: 309 calories, 14 g fat

3 slices bacon: 109 calories, 9 g fat

418 calories, 23 g fat

While waiting for the meal:

1 cup homemade eggnog: 343 calories, 19 g fat

The main event:

6 ounces turkey (white meat, with skin): 214 calories, 6 g fat

1 cup mashed potatoes: 162 calories, 1 g fat

1/2 cup green bean casserole: 148 calories, 8 g fat

1 cup sweet potato casserole: 235 calories, 11 g fat

1 cup homemade noodles: 148 calories, 2 g fat

1/2 cup turkey gravy: 61 calories, 3 g fat

2 dinner rolls: 168 calories, 4 g fat

2 pats butter: 72 calories, 8 g fat

1/2 cup stuffing: 178 calories, 9 g fat

1 slice cranberry sauce: 86 calories, 0 g fat

1,471 calories, 52 g fat

Second helpings of your favorites:

413 calories, 20 g fat

Dessert after the big meal:

1 slice pumpkin pie: 229 calories, 10 g fat

1/2 slice pecan pie: 245 calories, 13 g fat

1/2 apple pie: 119 calories, 6 g fat

4 T whipped topping: 50 calories, 3 g fat

642 calories, 31 g fat

Sandwich during the game:

2 slices whole-wheat bread: 256 calories, 5 g fat

1 T mayonnaise: 90 calories, 10 g fat

523 calories, 18 g fat

Late-night snack:

279 calories, 13 g fat

Total: 4,243 calories, 182 g fat

So how you can make sure you have your fill of Grandma's mashed potatoes and Uncle Steve's pumpkin cheesecake but still exercise some control? Here are some tips, culled from personal experience and member tips.

* Start with a healthy breakfast. In my family, we always eat cinnamon rolls on Thanksgiving and Christmas mornings. I'm not sure how the tradition started, but beginning a long day of eating with sugar isn't the best plan. Those refined carbs will burn off quickly, meaning you'll soon be foraging for food to tide you over until the big meal. Calories saved by eating your usual 300-calorie oatmeal with berries and a cup of milk breakfast: about 100

* Eat a balanced meal, even if it is larger than usual. Look at the feast above. Stuffing, bread, potatoes, and noodles--all in huge portions. Instead of eating a cup of each one, aim for one to two total servings. I Calories saved: up to 500

* Be a food snob. At my dad's family's dinner, Gramma Penelope's cloverleaf dinner rolls are a yearly treat. I always save room for one or two, with butter. But if I'm dining with the other side of the family, who serves store-bought rolls, I skip them. I'd rather save room on my plate for mashed potatoes or stuffing. Calories saved by skipping the rolls and butter: 140 calories

* Don't feel pressured to eat everything. If you focus on creating a balanced plate, you probably won't have room for everything. And, let's face it, do you really like every food on the table? (Don't tell, but green bean casserole turns my stomach. I politely decline it every year.) Calories saved by skipping that, along with any other dish you don't like: up to 500, depending on the dish

* Skip seconds. When family favorites only appear on the table once a year, it's hard to resist them. Take your time, slow down, and savor your first helping. Does anyone really feel actual hunger after the first round of Thanksgiving dinner? Probably not. Let your food settle, and save your appetite for pie. Calories saved: about 400 as listed above; up to 1,500 if you eat an entire second meal

* Taste everything. Thanksgiving feasts are just that, feasts, and a chance to try a variety of foods. But, if you take just a couple of bites--rather than a full scoop--of each dish, you'll still get to experience all the foods you love. Calories saved: up to 1,000

* Treat dessert as a snack, not part of the meal. Mmm, pies. They're such an integral part of most Thanksgiving celebrations. But most of us consider them to be an ending to the meal. What if, instead of eating pie immediately after dinner, we waited until it was snack time? And what if we only had a small sliver of each one? Calories saved: up to 400 depending on the size of your slices

* Skip the grazing. A turkey sandwich here, a slice of pie there, and a cup of eggnog, too. Those extras add up. Calories saved by skipping them: up to 700

Thanksgiving should be a day to Celebrate. These tips are meant to help us lessen the damage, so to speak. Eat, drink, be merry!

Happy thanksgiving all, we can do this

Hey everyone, Its been a few days since I last posted, but here's the latest with me. I am going to have to have my thyroid completely removed, due to follicular cancer. Hopefully we can do this before the holidays so that way I'm on the road to recovery before Christmas. The doc doesn't think chemo or radiation will be necessary, but they will make that decision when they get in there to do the surgery. Thanks everyone for the wellwishes and the prayers, I really appreciate it!

hi all, gearing up for the holidays, got my low cal no crust pumpkin pie and am ready to roll. thought I'd share this info from spark people, those that aren't on there it's a great site that I use to calculate calories etc on recipes so I know how much I can have, or what if I took this or that out, etc.

so I thought I'd share this

Let's face it: Thanksgiving is a day that, for most of us, focuses on food. You'll probably eat more than usual. I know I will. But, the in the words of my friend and fellow blogger ~INDYGIRL, "one slice of pizza is always going to have fewer calories than 2 slices of pizza." One trip to the Thanksgiving buffet table is going to have fewer calories than two. Two slices of pie will have fewer calories than three.

According to the Caloric Control Council, the average American eats more than 4,500 calories and 229 grams of fat on Thanksgiving day. That's more than twice the number of calories most of us should eat in an entire day, and enough dietary fat for more than three days!

The overload doesn't just come at the dinner table. Most of us start with a festive breakfast, nibble on Snacks while waiting for the turkey to come out of the oven, squeeze in a second helping and sneak into the kitchen for late-night turkey sandwiches.

First let's look at an "average" Thanksgiving day, then I'll share some tips that will allow you to indulge in all your favorites but keep you from feeling so awful and bloated after the meal.

Breakfast:

1 large cinnamon roll: 309 calories, 14 g fat

3 slices bacon: 109 calories, 9 g fat

418 calories, 23 g fat

While waiting for the meal:

1 cup homemade eggnog: 343 calories, 19 g fat

The main event:

1 cup mashed potatoes: 162 calories, 1 g fat

1/2 cup green bean casserole: 148 calories, 8 g fat

1 cup homemade noodles: 148 calories, 2 g fat

1/2 cup turkey gravy: 61 calories, 3 g fat

2 dinner rolls: 168 calories, 4 g fat

2 pats butter: 72 calories, 8 g fat

1 slice cranberry sauce: 86 calories, 0 g fat

1,471 calories, 52 g fat

Second helpings of your favorites:

413 calories, 20 g fat

Dessert after the big meal:

1/2 slice pecan pie: 245 calories, 13 g fat

1/2 apple pie: 119 calories, 6 g fat

642 calories, 31 g fat

Sandwich during the game:

2 slices whole-wheat bread: 256 calories, 5 g fat

1 T mayonnaise: 90 calories, 10 g fat

523 calories, 18 g fat

Late-night snack:

279 calories, 13 g fat

Total: 4,243 calories, 182 g fat

So how you can make sure you have your fill of Grandma's mashed potatoes and Uncle Steve's pumpkin cheesecake but still exercise some control? Here are some tips, culled from personal experience and member tips.

* Start with a healthy breakfast. In my family, we always eat cinnamon rolls on Thanksgiving and Christmas mornings. I'm not sure how the tradition started, but beginning a long day of eating with sugar isn't the best plan. Those refined carbs will burn off quickly, meaning you'll soon be foraging for food to tide you over until the big meal. Calories saved by eating your usual 300-calorie oatmeal with berries and a cup of milk breakfast: about 100

* Eat a balanced meal, even if it is larger than usual. Look at the feast above. Stuffing, bread, potatoes, and noodles--all in huge portions. Instead of eating a cup of each one, aim for one to two total servings. I Calories saved: up to 500

* Be a food snob. At my dad's family's dinner, Gramma Penelope's cloverleaf dinner rolls are a yearly treat. I always save room for one or two, with butter. But if I'm dining with the other side of the family, who serves store-bought rolls, I skip them. I'd rather save room on my plate for mashed potatoes or stuffing. Calories saved by skipping the rolls and butter: 140 calories

* Don't feel pressured to eat everything. If you focus on creating a balanced plate, you probably won't have room for everything. And, let's face it, do you really like every food on the table? (Don't tell, but green bean casserole turns my stomach. I politely decline it every year.) Calories saved by skipping that, along with any other dish you don't like: up to 500, depending on the dish

* Skip seconds. When family favorites only appear on the table once a year, it's hard to resist them. Take your time, slow down, and savor your first helping. Does anyone really feel actual hunger after the first round of Thanksgiving dinner? Probably not. Let your food settle, and save your appetite for pie. Calories saved: about 400 as listed above; up to 1,500 if you eat an entire second meal

* Taste everything. Thanksgiving feasts are just that, feasts, and a chance to try a variety of foods. But, if you take just a couple of bites--rather than a full scoop--of each dish, you'll still get to experience all the foods you love. Calories saved: up to 1,000

* Treat dessert as a snack, not part of the meal. Mmm, pies. They're such an integral part of most Thanksgiving celebrations. But most of us consider them to be an ending to the meal. What if, instead of eating pie immediately after dinner, we waited until it was snack time? And what if we only had a small sliver of each one? Calories saved: up to 400 depending on the size of your slices

* Skip the grazing. A turkey sandwich here, a slice of pie there, and a cup of eggnog, too. Those extras add up. Calories saved by skipping them: up to 700

Thanksgiving should be a day to Celebrate. These tips are meant to help us lessen the damage, so to speak. Eat, drink, be merry!

Happy thanksgiving all, we can do this

Thank you for all the tips. I am working for Thanksgiving, we are having a pot luck, but you are right, I can enjoy one plateful.

Hey everyone, Its been a few days since I last posted, but here's the latest with me. I am going to have to have my thyroid completely removed, due to follicular cancer. Hopefully we can do this before the holidays so that way I'm on the road to recovery before Christmas. The doc doesn't think chemo or radiation will be necessary, but they will make that decision when they get in there to do the surgery. Thanks everyone for the wellwishes and the prayers, I really appreciate it!

You are in our thoughts and prayers. We will be here for you. And it might also help with your weight loss journey.

Glad I can finally get back into the web site. Doc thinks I have an infection so I am on some heavy duty antibiotics. They cost

$10.00 a pill. If the pain does not go away, I might have to have to port removed. I m hoping for the best. Don't want to gain back the 30 pounds I have lost. I could have been eating all the wrong stuff, anyway, right, and negate the band. But I proved to myself that I could eat right! And of course, I could not have done it without all of you. So I am not going home for Thanksgiving, as I hurt too much. Other than the potluck at work, I will be off Sat, Sun, Mon and Tues, will take it easy, no cleaning the floor. I even fed the kitties on top of the table so I would not have to lean over. I ordered some sneakers with velcro so I could still keep walking. What a bummer, but things could be worse. Everyone have a good one, you all are in my thoughts and am thankful to have you to share with@!

Pooky - I hope your surgery goes well and your recovery is quick.

Missjoany - Best wishes with your infection healing. I hope you don't end upneeding surgery.

To all - I hope you all have survived Thanksgiving. I managed to survive Thanskgiving three days in a row (work, in-laws, my family). Work was a potluck and I ate too much. I paid for that in the middle of the night. The in-laws was the toughest because my mother-in-law does not listen when I tell her how little I can eat and I cannot eat tough foods like steak. She started by serving me a wedge salad that was a quarter of a head of iceberg lettuce. Fortunately, I was able to serve myself when it came to dinner. Then she was disappointed the next morning when I told her to fix no breakfast for me when I found out she was putting sausage in the eggs. And I didn't like sausage before surgery. My mom's was easy because she cooks healthy, especially with three of us having had WLS and several other with weight issues.

Pooky - I hope your surgery goes well and your recovery is quick.

Missjoany - Best wishes with your infection healing. I hope you don't end upneeding surgery.

To all - I hope you all have survived Thanksgiving. I managed to survive Thanskgiving three days in a row (work, in-laws, my family). Work was a potluck and I ate too much. I paid for that in the middle of the night. The in-laws was the toughest because my mother-in-law does not listen when I tell her how little I can eat and I cannot eat tough foods like steak. She started by serving me a wedge salad that was a quarter of a head of iceberg lettuce. Fortunately, I was able to serve myself when it came to dinner. Then she was disappointed the next morning when I told her to fix no Breakfast for me when I found out she was putting sausage in the eggs. And I didn't like sausage before surgery. My mom's was easy because she cooks healthy, especially with three of us having had WLS and several other with weight issues.

Thanks for the good thoughts!! I am wondering though, Doc said he might have to take the port out, I wonder if that means the band can stay in?? I have not had any fills yet, but am losing weight comfortably. Maybe it can stay and I can keep on the program? Of course going through surgery again would be yucky, but I am still waiting to be able to lean over and tie my sneakers. I did get some clog type sneakers yesterday so I am good there! You sound like you passed (survived) the Thanksgiving challenge, Good for you!! I'm sorta glad for those noisy kids on Thanksgiving, I didn't eat much!! hahaha. What happened in the middle of the night? Did you get sick? I had an eggroll on Friday and almost forgot to chew chew chew, so I can only imagine. Sometimes you wonder what the relatives are thinking, but you were your own advocate.. Be proud !!!!:D

I am wondering though, Doc said he might have to take the port out, I wonder if that means the band can stay in??

I was wondering the same thing.

What happened in the middle of the night? Did you get sick? I had an eggroll on Friday and almost forgot to chew chew chew, so I can only imagine.

Multiple trips to the bathroom. I suspect the lumpia (philipino small eggrolls) were part of the cause. The slice of black forest cake I had saved for later in the day may have also been the part of the cause. At least I waited to eat dessert so I didn't get too stuffed at lunch...lol.

It's really interesting learning how to deal with this new way of eating. I was eating healthy before surgery, but the occasional splurge was not the same potential issue that the splurges can be now.

Please keep us updated on how you are doing. Sounds like you have a good attitude and will not give up. You go girl!

Hi friends, well I'm back on track today is my day, gained 2 lbs. My meals were fine, it was the clean up that got me. and too many Desserts of course. My first meal I brought a crustless pumpkin pie and light cream wipped cream 160 cals total. and felt good about it, and didn't stray, but I grazed during clean up and that got me.

then then next meal at my parents, where there were so many Desserts my head was spinning, again the meal I felt good about, but then I didn't bring a low cal dessert, so I ate many bites of things I shouldn't Oh well, here's to being back on track and having 3 weeks to stay there.

Joany I"m so sorry, People get ports moved all the time, without removing the band, so hopefully that will be the case, and that will take care of the infection. I know I find that when I over eat my port really hurts- especially if it involves a lot of cheese, strange cause I have almost no port pain even since the beginning. But this week when I was having port pain I was thinking of you and hoping that you get your port troubles taken care of soon.

Lisa

Good Morning Everyone,

I know I have been gone acouple weeks....Happy Be-Lated Thanksgiving to everyone.

I had my second fill on Nov. 16th. I am only down a few ounces as of today. I am not complaining. I still dont feel a restriction really. Had two stuck instances over the last couple weeks...both times with potatoe...so Im not going to go there again. My husband is home from Brazil (thats why Ive been gone). So my Thanksgiving went well....my sister and I cooked. I made sure to eat my turkey first then had ham and alittle bit of sweet potatoe and mash. No bread for me (which use to be a big deal to me) and I had one slice of pumpkin pie later in the day. My mother last saw me the day I came home from surgery so when she walked in the house she smiled really big and told me I looked great....that made my holiday better....made me not want to go over board.

I am going to try and get back into my treadmill today....hose full of family for a week has gotten me off track.

LisaA....None of us are perfect....you tried your best and thats all we can expect from ourselves. As long as you had a great Holiday and your not making excuses for yourself then I believe you will be fine....good luck to getting back on track B)

MissJoany....my question is, if they remove your port how do they go in to fill the band?

Rambunctious....I totally agree with you...i ate healthy also before surgery but now the splurges are not the same. My husband being home has caught me off guard lol...i was going to grab my baked cheetos the other night and he looked at me and said REALLY....i was like what lol its 34 of these for a serving, he made me put them back and grab a Protein bar lol.....im glad he is the strong one cause I SOOOO wanted my cheetos.

I wont stay gone as long this time I promise....I hope you are all having a great Tuesday.....everyone stay warm :D

Good Morning Everyone,

I know I have been gone acouple weeks....Happy Be-Lated Thanksgiving to everyone.

I had my second fill on Nov. 16th. I am only down a few ounces as of today. I am not complaining. I still dont feel a restriction really. Had two stuck instances over the last couple weeks...both times with potatoe...so Im not going to go there again. My husband is home from Brazil (thats why Ive been gone). So my Thanksgiving went well....my sister and I cooked. I made sure to eat my turkey first then had ham and alittle bit of sweet potatoe and mash. No bread for me (which use to be a big deal to me) and I had one slice of pumpkin pie later in the day. My mother last saw me the day I came home from surgery so when she walked in the house she smiled really big and told me I looked great....that made my holiday better....made me not want to go over board.

I am going to try and get back into my treadmill today....hose full of family for a week has gotten me off track.

LisaA....None of us are perfect....you tried your best and thats all we can expect from ourselves. As long as you had a great Holiday and your not making excuses for yourself then I believe you will be fine....good luck to getting back on track B)

MissJoany....my question is, if they remove your port how do they go in to fill the band?

Rambunctious....I totally agree with you...i ate healthy also before surgery but now the splurges are not the same. My husband being home has caught me off guard lol...i was going to grab my baked cheetos the other night and he looked at me and said REALLY....i was like what lol its 34 of these for a serving, he made me put them back and grab a Protein bar lol.....im glad he is the strong one cause I SOOOO wanted my cheetos.

I wont stay gone as long this time I promise....I hope you are all having a great Tuesday.....everyone stay warm :D

Hey all!! Just back from Doc visit. It looks like the infection is clearing up at bit. Next f/u in one month, unless the pain gets worse. Ok here is the scoop, if it does not heal, Doc would remove the port, let that all heal up, and then if I wanted a new port he would put that in after a few months of healing. I would definitely have to consider all this. Waiting to see if more of the pain goes away. If not, will get the port removed, and see how I do with just the restriction from the band. I have not had a fill yet and have lost 32 lbs, so it IS working (for now). I had too many splurges before the surgery. Once a week at the grocery store, I would buy myself a treat and eat it when I got home. I have not done that at all since taking this journey. I am afraid to try something like the cheetoes, as it might set off my taste buds and I would eat the whole bag. My nutritionist turned me on to rotisserie chicken and my grocery store gave out free ones, so I am cutting it up and weighing out 3 oz portions. It's really good! She told me I could get turkey as well. I have been eating turkey meatballs every night for almost 6 weeks now. I am so jealous you all have someone to look out for you. I have some work friends, but none that special that I would want to share this with. NE way, big storms coming this way, so I will sign off, I am cooking veggies to mix with my chicken and macaroni and fire roasted tomatoes- will make 5 meals. You guys are the ones I share with!!