Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

50 something looking for others in this age group

Hi! I am new to LapBandTalk after just receiving approval for surgery last week. I would like to see if there are others in the 50 something range that are going through this. :smile: After making my decision to have Lap-Band surgery I was first denied by my Insurance Company (United Helath Care) in 2009. The Weight Loss Clinic helped to appeal the denial of service but it was denied again. Luckily, my company changed insurance carriers in 2010 to Anthem Blue Cross. At the beginning of the year I did not think about re-applying for the surgery, since I was denied by United, but then someone told me that they had it approved and I started my research again to see if Anthem would provide the surgery and approve it. I did a lot of research on the Anthem web site and found the Medical Policy for Surgical Weight Loss. After contacting my Weight Loss Surgeon again (almost a year later) they were happy to resubmit my paperwork to Anthem without doing any additional Doctor visits or other tests or appointments! This time I did not leave in the hands of the Insurance Company and Doctors office to provide the follow-up, I called on a regular basis to the Insurance Medical Management department and the Doctor's office. After going away on vacation for two weeks, and contacting the Insurance Company when I returned, I was finally approved for out patient surgery for my Lap Band! YEAH! To date, I still do not have a surgery date, but I should know next week and will post again. I look forward to reading about all of the other members of this site and their success stories and then actually having my success posted here too! Good luck to everyone and I will be back for further postings!

You might want to try this forum here

THANKS Mariasha and good luck!

i am 47 female, just had it done month ago, i work at an insurance company, so this happens alot....and in my case, my insurance has a clause in its benefit booklet, all obesity related diagnosis and procedures are not covered by the plan. I went to Mexico had it done, lot cheaper than can have it done here.

Hope all goes well for you.

I am 51 and had the lapband done on July 19 2010.I have lost 32 lbs so far.I am so glad that i had it done. Am so glad that I had it done.I have had 2 fills and finally, filling like i am getting some restiction.I have another appointment this month to get another fill and hopefully that will be the last one.I have 4cc in there.Had it done in Ashland,Ky.:smile2:

I am 54 and had lapband done March 16. I've lost 57 lbs. I feel great and have so much more energy. Now I can walk and not get winded. It's a wonderful feeling. Go for it!

I am 52, I had lap band on Aug 5th, I have lost 33lbs so far, and feel great! Had my first fill on Sept 27th, my follow up appt is Oct 6th, my doctor and I have already talked about another fill in a couple of weeks. My husband is having lap band surgery on Oct 7th, we are looking forward to getting our lives back together. Keep in touch, and esp. give us the date for your surgery.

:smile2:

I am 55, had surgery March 3, 2010 and have lost 43 pounds as of last Monday, which puts me approximately halfway to where I'd like to be.

Congratulations on being approved for surgery!