Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok lets talk sleeping

Omg my doc said i cant sleep on my side or back for a week. i cant stand it i am getting pulled mucles and backaches and headaches. what about you guys? what did your docs tell you and what are your solutions?:thumbup:

i had my surgery on sept 13th.

Hey girl

Had mine the 15th and he didn't say a word. In fact the only way I got to sleep that night was on my side...

I say sleep in the position that gives you the best comfort and sleep. You are not going to hurt your band or anything by sleeping. I am a stomach sleeper and could not sleep in my normal position for about a week because it didn't feel good, but after that I was back to my normal position.

i was afraid that the pressure of sleeping on my side might pop the glue stiches

I was banded 9/14 and was told nothing specific Re: sleep. It has been most comfortable in a straight back chair w/ a footstool to be honest. Getting into a laying position in bed w/ ports pulling, dressings coming loose, and the never ending gas/back pain that makes me feel like I am suffocating has been worth skipping the bed. I am hoping by Mon. I will turn the corner and next week will be better

I used a ton of pillows. The first 4 days I slept propped up and after that I slept on my side hugging a pillow so I did not accidentally go on my stomach. Lots of pilows is key.

Omg my doc said i cant sleep on my side or back for a week. i cant stand it i am getting pulled mucles and backaches and headaches. what about you guys? what did your docs tell you and what are your solutions?:thumbup:

i had my surgery on sept 13th.

If not on back or side, what did he say you COULD do? Stomach would put you sleeping on the incisions and twisting/pulling to get around and upright. I could not imagine that.

Many do a recliner for a few nights. I was most comfy on my side with pillows hugged to my belly.

The first night I had trouble getting back up into a sitting position, especially after the pain meds wore off. Hubby helped me out. After that night, I was sore, but OK.

I"m like Cocoa, slept on my side with about a zillion pillows in various places. My doc never gave me any post-op sleeping instructions and, other than having difficulty getting comfortable I never had any issues.

No special instructions following surgery. I can only sleep on my side. I found if I tucked a pillow or two under my belly for support, I was fine.

I say sleep anyway you can. My Doc never told me anything about sleeping.

Cheri

pillows was the key. I tried sleeping in the recliner but wasn't comfy. I ended up mainly on my side in bed with a pillow wedged under my stomach so I wouldn't roll onto it and so it was supported. Quite cozy

I was banded 10th September and the surgeon didn't say anything. I was in alot of pain and he gave me morphine pills to take at home. I slept on my right non port side supported with a pillow; but on Friday the 17th I heaved my body over to the right side to get comfy. Come Saturday I have had new pain near my port and the pain has shifted..I wonder if I've inadvertantly "done something" by sleeping " port side" and by moving the vast, vast tummy the way that I did...

I was banded on August 24th and was told to sleep any way that was comfortable. Until a week ago I could not sleep on my side because things inside were pulling and it was painful. I mainly slept propped up in a sitting position. I am finally sleeping normally again and it is heavenly! You'll get there!

I just had my surgery on the 16th and have been sleeping really well. Actually I feel like I'm sleeping as if I had a major surgery and that's all im suppose to be doing. My doctor did not give me any restrictions for sleeping however it has worked for me to sleep with one of those long body pillows tucked up close to my stomach and between my knees. I don't know maybe that will help.

My only problem so far is i don't know if im doing it all right as far as post op diet goes. I feel this weird sensation in my throat on down to my stomach and i keep trying to figure out how to make it go away. Im wondering if that is what it feels like to be tight or if im just swollen?:thumbup:

I am naturally a stomach sleeper, so I specifically asked my surgeon this question. He advised me to sleep however I was comfortable. I slept on my sofa on my non-port side for a few days, then on my back or non-port side in my bed with a pillow. Tonight, since my port site has stopped hurting, I am going to try my stomach. Wish me luck!:thumbup: