Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Replace food with. . ?

Now that I have been banded since June, and am getting my eating habits under control...I am seeing VERY clearly how much time I have spent focusing on food. I don't have to focus so much anymore but. . there's a hole left where my friend, food was. I have to fill this hole with something but I don't know what! I can only clean the house and excercise for so long. I am somewhat embarrased by how much extra time I have now that food isn't my main focus in life (pretty much)! :unsure:

Thanks for listening...

Maybe find a genre of books you may enjoy, music, meditation, writing, painting, .... im on my own path of discovery..not banded yet but quit smoking and i am definatly trying hard not to fill that void with food. I am feeling the lonliness pain too!

I replace my food with whatever is needed for the emotion that is driving the desire to eat. If I am bored I play a video game, read, watch a movie, do my hobby (make jewelry), call a friend or family member. If I am lonely I make a phone call, ask my H to spend some time with me without the TV, ask a friend to come over. If I am hurting emotionally I ask for comfort from friends and family. If I am hurting physically I do something to address the pain.

I am working on the happiness trigger. So far it is shopping or playing board games.

I also quit smoking and went on a diet and quit work at the same time! I had to find some coping skills quickly!

Thanks guys! I can't imagine quitting smoking AND giving up food. UGH, way to go!

Eadreel, I'm no good at asking for help when I truly need it (which is probably why I'm in this predicament in the first place!) I think I might pick up the guitar again! Keep my hand busy! :unsure:

Thanks guys! I can't imagine quitting smoking AND giving up food. UGH, way to go!

Eadreel, I'm no good at asking for help when I truly need it (which is probably why I'm in this predicament in the first place!) I think I might pick up the guitar again! Keep my hand busy! :unsure:

It was really hard to ask for the emotional stuff for me. Asking for people to address my pain or loneliness. I didn't like being that vulnerable. It is still hard to do, but I do it now because it is good for me and has made a HUGE improvement in my life over the past year or so.

I can only clean the house and excercise for so long.

Thanks for listening...

You can come clean mine if that will help??:unsure:

I have filled my time with long walks and reading. My worst time is at night after the kiddos go to bed. I have begun clipping on the ipod and taking long walks. Usually after exercise my desire for food is gone. I have also bought a Kindle and am reading so much more than I used to.

It is a hard thing to do.....find a replacement for food. I still find myself mentally planning and looking forward to my next meal. I have also caught myself going to the cupboard and fridge to graze like I used to. I don't think that for any of us this urge to eat will go away anytime soon. It was such a large part of our lives for so long that the emotional need isn't just going to disappear because we are now banded.

I really wish us all luck!

I thought it was just me. I feel so empty inside. Which I'm realizing is loneliness, not hunger. Our close friends don't seem so much like friends as eating buddies. I never really paid attention to how many times we met them at restaurants, how all our activities circled around food and drinking.

Now I am on a mission to find new friends, yesterday we went to a meeting (at a pizza place) for people who ride ATV's in our area. It was great, we met so many nice people our age, we already have plans to meet a group of them Saturday for a Sand Sports convention that is in town.

Today I woke up with a new feeling. A feeling of determination. Now off for my morning walk. I can do this!

It's good to know we're not alone, even though we feel like it! :thumbup: Thanks for all the feedback peeps.

Eadreel: You're soo right, it's hard to ask for emotional support but that's part of getting healthy I think!

Jalomum: Forget it my friend! No cleaning. . LOL!

Happymom: Sooo very true. . .it's really process not a one time event.

Hbrhonda: That sounds soo fun! One day, I hope to be part of a running club. . . ahhh. . one day!