Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Port Leaking

I had lapband surgery on June 10th 2010. My band has never worked because i have a leak at my port. My Dr said it was a manufacture defect and that i need to have my port replaced. I have had 5 fills that lasted a day or two and thats it. I was told I did not have to pay to have the port replaced. We will see where it goes from here. It is very dissapointing. :smile:

I was diagnosed with the same problem at first but since I was self pay, I was out of luck getting it fixed. My band never worked right because all of the saline would leak out. I should be getting mine replaced soon now that my insurance covers it. I am curious to see when they take it out if it has a defect.

I just found out yesterday that my band could be leaking. Over the past 6 months I haven't felt much restriction. I actuall gained back about 10 lbs. Four months ago I had .5cc added.. Yesterday, the nurse couldn't get any Fluid out which means I have a possible leak. I'm bumbed because I really don't was surgery again. I'll find out for sure in two weeks.... :thumbup:

I will have had my band 4 years in December. I did slip in the first year and had it fixed but all has been well since then. I went in for a fill the other day and the doctor could hardly get any Fluid out. He said, "uh-oh!" He went ahead and gave me more fluid but I can eat just about anything. I wonder how I am going to have this fixed... is it a real surgery or in office? I was insurance pay so it should pay for this too. I said as long as insurance keeps paying for the upkeep I will keep the band... sucks though!

I go next week for a fluoroscope. 15 minute procedure at the hospital. They inject blue saline into my port to find where the leak is. It could be the port or cord which is minor surgery.

Worst case is the band leaking where the Doc has to replace it. Even worst case he said it will only take 45 minutes top and rehab is much simpler that the first time. I'm hoping for the best.

Either way, the band was the best thing that happened to me. I'm still down 51 lbs and feel great. My insurance covers band complications.

Hi Gary,

Let us know how it goes. I go in tomorrow to talk to him about the leak. Something is going on but you know I sleep on that side and I am always dealing with positioning my pillow so that I am comfortable by my port - maybe I knocked it loose... who knows but I am like you =- I love my band and it's sort of like a car that needs maintenance. I will continue to do what I have to do to keep it!

Hi - LuckyGirl,

I'll post about my appointment next Tuesday. I agree with you that the band could be like auto maintenance. I also think that you should not be uncomfortable with the band when you sleep. What did your Doc say?

Hey Gary,

Well I went in and he attempted to pull out Fluid and got none so he said def a leak. Basically, insurance, although it paid for my band and slip, will not pay for a tube repair so I have to pay 500 to do it in the office. If I wanted to go to the hospital it would cost 5k... no thanks! really sucks but what are you gonna do - gotta fix it! oh well, kind of like expensive tires! let me know how yours turns out. oh and port doesn't hurt when I lay on it but its uncomfortable, i can feel it. I just wonder if all that laying on it for 4 years made it leak... who knows!

Just curious if any of you have the Realize band???? They just sent out notifications to hospitals and Doctors saying that there is a recall. It doesnt require that the band or port be removed.

It has to do with the port tubing. I found out about this from someone on here. There is a post about it and the member who posted it sent me a pdf file of the recall that the company sent out. This recall is as of 10/8/10. I'm sure if you search for it in this past weeks new posts, you will find it.

I emailed it to my Drs office asking if my band is included in the recall and they kinda freaked out. I dont think they knew about it. They never did let me know if mine is involved but I know it is. I went to a support group meeting at their office last night and she mentioned it to everyone. They explained that there is a lil piece inside the tube where it connects to the port. This lil piece keeps the tube from kinking, it it kinks, Fluid cant be inserted. They said that sometines this lil piece comes loose and slides down the tube and thats what the recall is about.

My question is, who pays for this if it by some chance we develop this problem and it has to be fixed??!! I was self pay and cannot afford another operation if it happens to me. No surgery is needed as long as it is working properly!!

This might be something some of you need to investigate if you are facing another surgery due to port problems.

Hi Shelly and LuckyGirl,

Shelly, I have the LapBand. I went for my fluoroscope last week and they found a leek in my tube. Fortunately my insurance will cover the procedure. Doc said it takes about 15 minutes under local anastasia. I really need it fixed because I can eat a lot more. LuckyGirl, good way to look at it, like a good set of new tires but better because it will improve our health. Ill keep you posted on how the procedure goes. Thanks for your support and good luck with your procedure...

Gary

Hey all,

Update: once we figured out it was leaking I was scheduled to have it repaired in office. I asked for a flouro so we could make sure we knew exactly where it was. It took 2 weeks for me to get the flouro and first they took a shot of my abdomen. Found that the tubing had completely come loose on one side and was floating around in my belly - like a snake. It was causing so much pain - poking me everywhere. I had to end up going in for surgery to repair the tubing. Insurance did not cover the repair - i had to come out of pocket quite a bit. sucks but hopefully this will be it!

Lucky Girl,

How did your procedure go? How long did it take?

I have my tube replaced this afternoon. No coffee or food this morning. I really miss my coffee. I'll keep you posted on how my procedure goes.

Hey Gary,

It was just like the previous 2 surgeries (for the band and the slip). They put me under. I had to wait til the end of the day though so I went over 24 hours without any food or water! That sucked! The recovery was about the same too. About 4 full days of pain and then it let up. I just took it easy. I was given hydrocodone for pain which was great but found out it makes you constipated. So for a few days things were going in and nothing was coming out so I felt like I was blowing up and would pop! I don't know if that is true - you may want to ask your dr - if pain meds do that to you. All I know is finally stopped taking it and stuck to just ibuprofen and things started to flow. Plus, I had all that air stuck in my abdomen from the surgery which takes a few days to leave. My shoulder was killing me that night in the hospital because of that!

Hope it all goes well. Are they putting you under? Please post and let us know how it goes! good luck! oh, i have a fill scheduled for next week so hopefully everything will be up and running again soon!

Hi Lucky Girl,

I had my port and tube replaced last Friday. It was done at a out-patient surgical office, not a hospital. It went smoothly. No eating or coffee all day and my doc was an hour late.

I was actually semi awake for the 20 minute procedure and left the office about a half hour after the procedure. There was a piece broken off the tube that created the leak with no explanation why or how it happened !!!!

I feel like someone punched my in the stomach, but no real pain. I got on the treadmill this morning and feel pretty good today. He put 2cc's in the band and it is nice to have some restriction. Thursday I get the stiches removed and will request 1cc more. 4cc's was my sweet spot.

I hope you are well and good luck with you next fill.

Gary

Did u lose any or did you have any signs? I think I have the same problem. I lost 20 lbs. and I am at 5 cc. So the hospital is not charging you either?

I had LAP-BAND® surgery on June 10th 2010. My band has never worked because i have a leak at my port. My Dr said it was a manufacture defect and that i need to have my port replaced. I have had 5 fills that lasted a day or two and thats it. I was told I did not have to pay to have the port replaced. We will see where it goes from here. It is very dissapointing. :)