Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good Food vs. Bad Food

Hello All, has anyone else had this...it seems like it is so much easier to get down the bad foods then it is to get the good foods down...just wondering...i have really really good restriction now and it seems like if i take a bite of something bad...it goes down easy...take a bite of something good...goes down harder...and they can be the same size in bite...anyone else get this??? Something to ponder.:biggrin::scared2:

It's because bad foods have all ready been broken down by processing. Many of them require little or no chewing - they will just melt in your mouth. They also have lots of fat/sugar added which again melts or slides down easily.

Thanks for the reply...I guess that is why we have to chew the good food up so well...but since I don't experience a lot of hunger anymore...sometimes I forget to eat and by the time I do eat I am ravenous...and that first big bite will do in the whole meal for me...hard to swallow that...so then I lose my appetite...does that happen to anyone??:biggrin:

They do say that you shouldn't let yourself get that hungry as when you do you are likely to eat too fast and that as you have found out causes problems.

Yes this is true...but I don't do it on purpose...I get so busy sometimes that i don't really think about the food any longer like I used to...:biggrin:

I have no idea whether this would be the case--I haven't tried any "bad" foods since I had surgery. (I really don't think foods are bad, per se---eating's not a moral issue, and there is plenty of room in life for treats. But since surgery, I really have avoided testing the waters; it just works better for me to focus on foods that give my body what it needs.)

I have to ask, what is considered "Bad foods" ?

You should be able to eat solid food once you are past the healing and are allowed to. The reason you need to eat solid food is because it stays with you longer. Protein first then vegs. An occasional treat is good. You should not deprive yourself of an occasional treat. We have spent our life doing this, and it only got us fat... The key is occasional. Sugar white flour, and processed rice is poisen. Stay with fruit if possible. I dont do fruit ever because I am diabetic. I only eat protein and green vegs. I have researched the hell out of this so I could be sure it is correct. Once you become convinced, it is much easier.

If you are still unsure and you are a reader, here is a suggestion. This book details the history of dieting in the whole world. I guarantee you will be surprised at what it has to say.... Hugs.

Amazon.com: Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health (Vintage) (9781400033461): Gary Taubes: Books

It's true, however, that eating something like a dense chicken breast just isn't as easy as eating a slider food, whether that food is "good" or "bad."

My band is pretty nicely restrictive. Most days I tolerate dense Protein very well---but when I have PMS or am very stressed, I do have difficulty with certain foods.

I accept this, and work around it. But if it were to be the norm for me---if, for example, I had really practiced taking small bites, chewing really well, and so on, but still was uncomfortable with dense Protein or got stuck routinely---then I would seriously consider having a bit of fill removed.

It's really a learning curve, though. Most of my discomforts are from user error--from pushing the envelope when I know I'm tight (or accidentally finding out I'm tight, but not "listening" after the first bite tells me).

With time and experience, you'll learn what "healthy" foods work for your band. And you'll also learn that there may be days that are just plain unpredictable. I had one yesterday---for some reason, I couldn't even get cottage cheese down. Cottage cheese! How mushy can you get?! So I just had a soft-foods day. Not "bad" stuff--just stuff I knew would go down and give me the protein and other nutrients I needed. This resulted in a very hungry day, because mushies slide on through so much faster. But at least I got what my body needed into it---without aggravating things.