Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2010 Bandsters!!

You will have a morphin drip or other drugs to help with the pain. You might get a button if you need more it will give you more. The pain will be light with all the drugs, The sooner you get off the drugs the better. the third day is the hardest take the pain medicine that day and rest. the next day and every day after that will be better.

You will only drink 3 one oz medicine cups of liquid an hour after surgery for the first four days, no hungry. You will start adding Jello, popsycles, creamed Soup, broth, 1/2 cup at the most do not drink 30 minutes before or after you eat. Protein Drinks 3 a day don't count as Water that is your meals. write everything you put in your mouth down and the time you did it. the times and days all run together the few days after surgery, brain fog DRUGS.

All in all it was not bad The best decision I have every made. one week old band 10/20/10 wednesday. I feel great. Pain free Drug free.

Good luck smile and walk the halls as soon as they let you up. GasX tablet 3 a day when you get home, first 4 days very important. Listen to your stomach it has a voice now.

cherie

my surgery is on friday and Im getting cold feet, Im so scared any tips for those who have already had surgery?

my surgery is on friday and Im getting cold feet, Im so scared any tips for those who have already had surgery?

You'll be fine! Take your pain meds.(in Canada we take Tylenol 3's), get plenty of rest, walk off the gas. I'm 2 wks banded and feeling good. My first fill will be in 4 wks. and I can't wait. I'll send good thoughts your way Friday.:sneaky:

You'll be fine! Take your pain meds.(in Canada we take Tylenol 3's), get plenty of rest, walk off the gas. I'm 2 wks banded and feeling good. My first fill will be in 4 wks. and I can't wait. I'll send good thoughts your way Friday.:sneaky:

thank you! I need all the good thoughts I can get:thumbup:

Getting banded in the morning. Officially freaking out. Will still go through with it, although I won't be good until I get my sedative. :sneaky:

Couldn't quit smoking, and that's what's got me. Terrified of the anesthesia not working properly or being too strong because of it. My own fault, I know, but I can only handle one thing at a time, and being addicted to food, battled that the last two weeks on the liquids. It's horrible of me, I know, it is what it is. One thing at a time, baby steps. That's what it's about, right?

Here's to all that are going tomorrow and the next few days: Good luck!

thank you! I need all the good thoughts I can get:thumbup:

1 more sleep and you'll be done with the worry. Think about how great we are going to be looking and feeling next Halloween! Maybe we'll dress up as Playboy bunnies:wink2:. Take it easy today, tomorrow is a new beginning!:sneaky:

1 more sleep and you'll be done with the worry. Think about how great we are going to be looking and feeling next Halloween! Maybe we'll dress up as Playboy bunnies:wink2:. Take it easy today, tomorrow is a new beginning!:sneaky:

I literally giggled out loud when I read your post, I love that idea!! thank you for the words of encouragement. It really does help. Seems like Im getting more nervous as the time approaches:crying:...im ready to get this over with so I can move forward!

Day 4 and I'm feeling so much better. Day 3 was bad. Felt like I'd been hit by a truck. Today has been great. Took my first real shower, which helped tons. And TMI, had success in the bathroom!!! Sorry!! Looking forward to my post-op Dr. visit on Monday. Anyone know what I can expect with that visit?

Thanks again to this board for all the info. Hope everyone is doing well. Good Luck to those with surgery coming up soon.

Nina

Hello all, well it's now 1 week, and 1 day post op. Been doing really well, walking most mornings and still feeling no hunger, but the last couple of days I've had some pain....well really more discomfort, than pain, in my left side and ribcage area...anyone else had that? Also, a bit of discomfort around the port incision, that I hadn't noticed previously. I forgot myself briefly earlier today, and gulped down some liquid yoghurt a bit too quickly (I usually use a straw), but just drank it straight down today, and for a minute or two, I was worried that it was going to come back up....lesson learned! Weight loss seems to have stalled, I know I shouldn't keep jumping on the scales, but curiosity always gets the better of me....but for the last 3 or 4 days, I've been the same...but overall, have lost 8kgs since pre-op diet began. Made some yummy potato and cauliflower Soup last night...very basic and absolutely delicious.

2 chicken stock cubes

2 cups water

1 small onion

1 teaspoon crushed garlic

2 large potatos

handful of cauliflower

salt and pepper to taste

skim milk to thin to required consistancy

Bring stock cubes and Water to the boil, finely dice potato and cauliflower and put in saucepan.

lightly brown onion and garlic and then place in the saucepan.

Once potatos are very well cooked to the point of dissolving in the saucepan remove from heat and allow to cool.

Place mix in blender and blend until smooth, adding skim milk as necessary, to thin mixture to desired consistency. :thumbup:

Best wishes to all who are still to have your op, and I hope everyone else is feeling great!

weight.png

I literally giggled out loud when I read your post, I love that idea!! thank you for the words of encouragement. It really does help. Seems like Im getting more nervous as the time approaches:crying:...im ready to get this over with so I can move forward!

Today's the day... good luck! I'm sending all kinds of positive thoughts your way. Let me know how you're doing.:thumbup:

Just got home from overnight stay. Everything went well, not including the nausea from either the anesthesia or morphine, they didn't know which it was. Second anti-nausea worked. Walked so much, gas pains were minimal. Got up to use restroom 4 times between 530 pm and 530 am. Each time, did at least two laps around the wing.

Waiting for the tylenol/codeine to kick in, they took IV out at 10 am, got home at 2, hubby brought RX to store, just got back with them.

Few questions for those already banded:

I do have to cough sometimes, is there anything I can do to make it easier besides pressing the pillow on my stomach?

How do I know if the band is full when I am drinking Water, eating ice pops, protien, etc? I did feel sick for a minute, and felt like I needed to burp, but nothing happened, I walked it off, and put the rest of the popsicle back in the freezer.

One week post-op today and so far, so good! Hardly any pain after the first evening - took one dose of pain med, made me nauseous, so only Advil after that. The shoulder pain was 100 times worse than anything with my stomach... hardly any pain at my port and could sleep on either side second night home.

Had a couple of days where I was hungry but a little bit of juice or broth and I was fine. Was very happy to start on full liquids today though! More variety of things to eat and hopefully will be a little more filling.

Congrats to everyone! Definitely feel this was the right decision for me and looking forward to the process.

Hi,

I had my surgery October 18 actually it was my hubby and I 30th ann. Nice gift I gave myself. I am now on mushy food till Monday November 1. Everything has been going really smoothly. I lost 26.5 lbs at my week post op visit. I almost fell over. I hope the weight continues to come off.

Today's the day... good luck! I'm sending all kinds of positive thoughts your way. Let me know how you're doing.:thumbup:

Thanks for the positive thoughts my way, They really helped! I had surgery on friday and it went well:thumbup: Im having some bad gas pains but I hear thats to be expected:cursing:

I feel fine and I shouldnt have worried half as much as I did. Good luck to everyone who has an up and coming surgery! How are you doing Grams?

I was banded on 27 October br Dr Christiaan De Bryune at the AZ Jan Portaels hospital in Vilvoorde, Belgium.*

On the same evening I was able to get out of bed and walk the corridor three times which I heard alleviates gas pain.*

I must say that I refused pain medication when offered it after the operation as I really did not feel in pain.*

The next morning I did ask for pain relief because I knew the drain was to be removed and I was scared of what that would be like but the drain removal happened before the meds came. And honest that didn't hurt.*

I still accepted the pain relief because I was pretty certain pain would kick in at some time.*

I was then taken for an X-ray and asked to take three big sips of liquid so they could get a picture of the band position and liquid going through it. Again painless. *I walked down for my X-ray.*

Doctor Chris then came to see me and told me everything went well. I was given a bag of medication, tablets in case I feel sick (I haven't needed them) tablets for pain (I took 2 night before travelling home and 1 in afternoon and 1 before bed 3 days post op). And injections to give myself in stomach to stop blood clot for five days - the needle is so fine it can't be felt. He also gives special socks like those used on flights to wear for about a week.*

A nurse came to see me in the hotel the night before I travelled home. I was given lots of information throughout this whole procedure and is great to refer to.*

Don't ever be afraid of using Dr Chris he is amazing. They have set up a direct service now called Belgium Surgery Services and the General Manager is Frederick Serneels.*

Good luck everyone who is thinking of having the procedure. *I know I'm lucky to not have much pain and that everyone is different. *