Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

would you have surgery if you had an infection?

I am scheduled for surgery 8/26-this Thursday. I finished an antibiotic a couple of days ago for possible strep. I feel pretty bad. Flu-ish, nauseous (liquid pre-op not helping that!) and fever. I literally woke up all night soaked I was so sweaty.

My Dr just called to say my test results also show urinary infection& I need to start another antibiotic.

I phoned my surgeon who said we will talk again Wednesday to see how I am feeling. If I feel better we can proceed.

As much as rescheduling the surgery would suck I am worried about proceeding w/it even if I do feel better.

What would you do?

Well if you are doing better on Wednesday then I'd probably go ahead and do it. When they do the surgery they give you IV fluids and IV antibiotics so that might help you even more.

I think your body would be overwhelmed with trying to recover from both strept throat, a urinary tract infection and surgery. I would reschedule it. They will have to cath you and they might not be able to do that if you have a UTI. Plus the antibiotics they use post surgery are specific for that and not necessarily for strept throat or a UTI.

You want to be healthy going into any elective surgery in order to allow your body to heal. Good luck and I hope you feel better.

No, I would postpone.

Actually the IV antibiotic for the surgery IS indicated and does work for UTI's. If your over the Strep and you just have the UTI now and you have no fever by Wednesday then your surgeon may be fine with you going ahead.

I would still go ahead ONLY if you dont have a fever,, if you are still running a fever then i would defintly postpone.. your immune system will be down making recovery and healing take longer than normal and may make you susceptible to insicion infections and worse pneumonia which is a risk anytime you are put under

Reschedule the surgery!! THe hospital documents I got said you had to be cold free and fever free for 2 weeks before surgery. They say you can get Pneumonia if you have a surgery when you are sick and that is what leads to many deaths every year. It is important to get reputable medical advice and not opinions. This was very clear in my surgery paperwork from the hospital. If you get sick and have your band surgery you will be miserable. It is hard enough to be healthy and recover from the lap band surgery.

Reschedule the surgery!! THe hospital documents I got said you had to be cold free and fever free for 2 weeks before surgery. They say you can get Pneumonia if you have a surgery when you are sick and that is what leads to many deaths every year. It is important to get reputable medical advice and not opinions. This was very clear in my surgery paperwork from the hospital. If you get sick and have your band surgery you will be miserable. It is hard enough to be healthy and recover from the LAP-BAND® surgery.

I agree and I don't think you should be trying to do a one size fits all antibiotic to cover multiple infections. Sounds too risky. This is elective surgery. It can wait until the specific antibiotics for the strep and UTI are done and the fever is gone. You need to be on your A game going into this. Even if your fever is gone your body still needs time to heal. Give it time. You will be glad you did.

I had a horrible stomach flu for a couple of days prior to my original surgery date. The day before I was scheduled, I called my Dr. to see if he wanted me to go through with it. I decided against it and I'm so glad I did. I felt so sick and I can't imagine how horrible it would be trying to recover from surgery and already not feeling well.

I agree that you should postpone the surgery.

I agree and I don't think you should be trying to do a one size fits all antibiotic to cover multiple infections. Sounds too risky. This is elective surgery. It can wait until the specific antibiotics for the strep and UTI are done and the fever is gone. You need to be on your A game going into this. Even if your fever is gone your body still needs time to heal. Give it time. You will be glad you did.

I am going to postpone :):(

My Dr didn't pressure me to proceed, just said it was an option. I know postponing is the right thing to do. Besides being mentally prepared for it to be this Thursday it was good timing in general. Being up and better when school starts kids, "real" food by Thanksgiving (not telling anyone about band). I would be lying if I said this was not a little depressing. I know it is for the best but cried a lot yesterday.

Thanks for the support & I will post my new surgery date.