Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 months banded........not happy

Hey all,

so i am approaching my 1 yr bandiversary.. i'm only down 25/30 lbs still.. and to be honest. most of it was post op weight loss from eating mushies.. and another 10 lbs because of stress in my life.

i am not happy because of a few reasons. I know there are members out there that i will get an ear full from because i haven't exactly been "by the book"... i know what i am supposed to do.. and lets get real... most of us were or are looking for an easier way out in some way....

when i went for the seminar prior to surgery.. i was told basically everything i wanted to hear. YES, i was informed of what i should be doing while banded.. what i should avoid.. but i was also told that i would feel full and satisfied and my life wouldn't change so much other than working on being healthier and losing weight. well, it's not so much like that :smile:. Basically no matter how slow or how much i chew my food. i ALWAYS have discomfort. I addressed it with my dr. had an endoscopy and all went well.. no blockage, band in place.. it's all good. I had .5 CC's removed and felt somewhat better. so i have 5 CC's total in a 14 cc band. I can most definitely eat a lot more than i should be... when i can get it down.... I was told no more than an egg amount of food. i eat a normal size portion.. and maybe more. I am rarely satisfied. I stop eating because of discomfort or PB. I have done the whole..wait it out 30 min.. i am just NEVER satisfied or full. I have to be honest.. weight watchers was much more successful and i was always satisfied. I am really starting to regret my decision unfortunately. i wish there were more posts like this when i was doing my months of research.. but even then.. we are all different. we all have different surgeons and Dr's.. i have to say. i am completely unhappy all around... (dr, surgeon,lapband,weight loss, uncomfort) I'm not really looking for much advice in response.. i just wanted to throw out my feelings.. on that note, i'm getting ready for the gym and will do my best to lose weight the old fashioned way.. maybe get the Fluid removed from my band so I am not so uncomfortable on a daily basis and i can eat more than Soup to be satisfied :biggrin:

thanks for hearing me out.. i hope i helped someone who's researching the band.

Wow - I am sorry you have had such a bad experience with the band. I know my first 6 months or so were not the funnest - I was learning what foods I could eat and what would make me PB but I knew once I hit the "sweet spot" as I wasn't as hungry between meals and I started dropping a couple lbs a week. That didn't last forever, tho...by the time I hit my one yr I was stuck at 75 lbs lost, but by wearing my Body MAgic and taking 2 oz of Levive every day I have managed to get to 97 lbs lost and I am happy with that. (if you have questions on the body magic or levive just PM me) Hang in there - you will find what will work for you - above all don't give up!

Wow - I am sorry you have had such a bad experience with the band. I know my first 6 months or so were not the funnest - I was learning what foods I could eat and what would make me PB but I knew once I hit the "sweet spot" as I wasn't as hungry between meals and I started dropping a couple lbs a week. That didn't last forever, tho...by the time I hit my one yr I was stuck at 75 lbs lost, but by wearing my Body MAgic and taking 2 oz of Levive every day I have managed to get to 97 lbs lost and I am happy with that. (if you have questions on the body magic or levive just PM me) Hang in there - you will find what will work for you - above all don't give up!

Thank you! i never heard of body magic or levive. i will have to look into it.. i appreciate you taking the time to read my post and thanks for the encouragement. once i get my insurance back in a month, i want to go back to my dr and get evaluated again.. i'm a fighter.. so lets see what happens

My band experience has been similar to yours. I never quite felt "full" when eating. I mostly stopped because eating was annoying. I didn't eat Breakfast because I'd always feel stuck. After a bite or two, I'd have to wait about 20 minutes before things loosened up a bit.

Most other meals were hit and miss. Sometimes I'd be able to eat more than I thought I should... other times I could barely eat any.

And although it wasn't quite was I expected it to be, it still worked for me. I say worked because I currently have no restriction and will be going under the knife again for them to un-kink my tubing. Having no restriction is awful! As much as it sucked to get stuck and occasionally PB, it was better than this. I used to not stop and get fast food because I know I couldn't eat it.... now I can. And I don't want that. I don't have the control to not do something simply because I may gain weight in the long run. I need immediate prevention. And knowing I'd get stuck and HURT provided me with that immediately prevention.

"OK, so in all honesty.. it's been months since I have been on here. I have been through SOOOOO much in my life.. not making excuses.. but I am now ready to get moving on this again. I had my surgery 11/09 - i am down just about 25 lbs.. i REALLY was expecting a lot more of a loss.. but again, i didn't put all 100% of myself into it. what I am shocked by is, as of right now i have 5 CC's in my band. i had .5 removed because i was getting stuck way too often. So even with 5cc's i still get stuck not AS bad though. I have cut out just about 80% of carbs and breads than I used to eat. mainly because i just cannot get them down.. i REALLY do eat A LOT less than I used to.. and although i am not eating strictly salads, and veggies.. nor exercising as much .. i would think i should be down a lot more by now... what is frustrating is this.. the PA who does the fills in my surgeons office, is very judgmental.. she does come down hard on us.. and is very hesitant on giving fills.. now i am speaking more for my sister because I lost my insurance and haven't been there for a few mths. my sister is at 6cc's and can still eat a huge plate of food.. no problem. there is something wrong with that.. YES. she really shouldn't be eating a huge plate of food.. but the purpose of the band is to help us eat less and feel full quicker right? so being that this is a tool.. why isn't it working?.. and yes, i am expecting a bunch of replies about how we need to work at the weight loss as well.. blah blah i heard and know it all.. how is it that some people lose massive amount of weight with little effort.. and some need to feel like they are on a diet their whole lives? is it the Dr? i dont get it.. and it's very frustrating. some days i feel like i just want this thing out of me. it causes more aggrivation than anything. the pain of eating is getting old now.. and yes, i have slowed down and chewed my food well. "

This is a post you did a while ago. People gave you very good advice then and seems you still want to blame others instead taking some responsibility here. Having the band is not an easy way out and yes it is a diet forever. It is a tool help you lose weight and you have to put in the effort.

Depends on what you are eating whether you will feel full with a certain amount. I had this issue and went back to the nutrionist. I now eat denser foods that make me feel full. More Proteins is the key. Softer consistency food is not. The problem may not be with your band but your diet. See a nutritionist and get back on track.

Sorry to be blunt and harsh but lets be honest here. I do wish you luck and success.

"OK, so in all honesty.. it's been months since I have been on here. I have been through SOOOOO much in my life.. not making excuses.. but I am now ready to get moving on this again. I had my surgery 11/09 - i am down just about 25 lbs.. i REALLY was expecting a lot more of a loss.. but again, i didn't put all 100% of myself into it. what I am shocked by is, as of right now i have 5 CC's in my band. i had .5 removed because i was getting stuck way too often. So even with 5cc's i still get stuck not AS bad though. I have cut out just about 80% of carbs and breads than I used to eat. mainly because i just cannot get them down.. i REALLY do eat A LOT less than I used to.. and although i am not eating strictly salads, and veggies.. nor exercising as much .. i would think i should be down a lot more by now... what is frustrating is this.. the PA who does the fills in my surgeons office, is very judgmental.. she does come down hard on us.. and is very hesitant on giving fills.. now i am speaking more for my sister because I lost my insurance and haven't been there for a few mths. my sister is at 6cc's and can still eat a huge plate of food.. no problem. there is something wrong with that.. YES. she really shouldn't be eating a huge plate of food.. but the purpose of the band is to help us eat less and feel full quicker right? so being that this is a tool.. why isn't it working?.. and yes, i am expecting a bunch of replies about how we need to work at the weight loss as well.. blah blah i heard and know it all.. how is it that some people lose massive amount of weight with little effort.. and some need to feel like they are on a diet their whole lives? is it the Dr? i dont get it.. and it's very frustrating. some days i feel like i just want this thing out of me. it causes more aggrivation than anything. the pain of eating is getting old now.. and yes, i have slowed down and chewed my food well. "

This is a post you did a while ago. People gave you very good advice then and seems you still want to blame others instead taking some responsibility here. Having the band is not an easy way out and yes it is a diet forever. It is a tool help you lose weight and you have to put in the effort.

Depends on what you are eating whether you will feel full with a certain amount. I had this issue and went back to the nutrionist. I now eat denser foods that make me feel full. More Proteins is the key. Softer consistency food is not. The problem may not be with your band but your diet. See a nutritionist and get back on track.

Sorry to be blunt and harsh but lets be honest here. I do wish you luck and success.

well.. i have no problem with constructive critisim...however, at the time.. i do not have health insurance.. so with that said.. going to a nutrionist and pay out of pocket is not within my budget.. SO i'm on my own for now. I am not sure if you have experienced what i go through on a daily basis... and i doubt it since you are quick to judge. I am not innocent and i stated that. I know where i go wrong but my point was.. even when i try my hardest i still have pain and stuckage while eating and its beyond frustrating. I cannot eat grilled chicken, or any type of lean chicken or meat. I cannot eat steamed veggies or raw veggies, it DOES NOT sit well.. and I will not vomit everytime i eat and take the chance of slipping the band... if you read my last sentence i did join the gym. I dont agree with you that I am not trying, like i stated I will lose the weigh the old fashioned way. :confused:

I think your band is too tight, and you have been given unrealistic expectations about what to eat to feel full.

"I was told no more than an egg amount of food"-- Nobody would be full on that, if so you could just eat 3 boiled eggs a day. I eat a 3-4 oz piece of chicken (a piece the size of my palm), 1/2 cup of veggies and 1/4 cup of starch.

"Basically no matter how slow or how much i chew my food. i ALWAYS have discomfort." I was like this as well and had .2 cc removed and I can now eat without pain. The funny thing is I had mine removed because I was at goal and I wanted to be able to eat more so I could stop losing weight, but now I can eat without pain and I am eating less calories. For example, before I would start the day with a Protein shake because that is all I could get down and then a yogurt around 10:30 which is a total of 250 calories for both and 19g of sugar but now I have a piece of whole wheat bread with a fried egg and that is only 180 calories and 5.4g of sugar and I am full for 3 hours. So the calories aren't much different but the rate which my body processes it is so much better.

I don't have insurance either so I am with you on the cost of maintenance, but if you can get another .2 or .3 cc removed I think you could do better. Nobody can keep a positive attitude when eating is torture.

The key is keeping up with your after care. If you don't like your dr. then find another one. Leigh is right...if you are too tight you'll have pain and eat the wrong foods. Best of luck...and DON'T give up on yourself or the band.

thanks leigha and coneflower. leigha i think your right and i'm going to take your advise and have a little removed. it is torturous to eat and can be very discouraging at times.. thanks everyone for the good advise and in about a month i will have health insurance again... yey!

I'm so sorry some of you have so many problems!!

It really makes you wonder if the surgeons placement is accurate.

As you know the band is supposed to sit on the Vegus nerve, and I wonder how many surgeons get this wrong??

I was actually talking to the psych about this today and she wondered the same thing.

I really hope pulling some liquid out helps :confused:

Rach.

Hey all,

so i am approaching my 1 yr bandiversary.. i'm only down 25/30 lbs still.. and to be honest. most of it was post op weight loss from eating mushies.. and another 10 lbs because of stress in my life.

25-30 LBs down is nothing to laugh at!

i am not happy because of a few reasons. I know there are members out there that i will get an ear full from because i haven't exactly been "by the book"... i know what i am supposed to do.. and lets get real... most of us were or are looking for an easier way out in some way....

Ok...here's where it starts. You pretty much HAVE to go "by the book". Some lucky few seem to lose without following the band rules, but you're not one of them. I'm not one of them either. I have to follow the rules, or I won't lose. But....I knew going in that the band is designed to be a tool for a lifestyle change, not a quick fix

I can most definitely eat a lot more than i should be... when i can get it down.... I was told no more than an egg amount of food. i eat a normal size portion.. and maybe more. I am rarely satisfied. I stop eating because of discomfort or PB. I have done the whole..wait it out 30 min.. i am just NEVER satisfied or full.

One of the things about being overweight is that most of us have screwed up the satisfaction center in our brains. Most of us have gotten the feeling of "full" mixed up with the feeling of "stuffed". Remember, with the band, the idea is to see just how little you can eat and be sated for 4 hours or so.

And, I'm not so pro-band that I would blindly recommed it for everybody. There is a large learning curve, and it takes work. There are rules to be followed. But it can help you if you really want it to. So (said in a loving way) quit griping about how you wish you would have read more negative stuff, and start focusing that energy on making a fresh start. You can totally do this. I know because I did.....and if I can do it, you damn sure can.

thanks plain. you do have a point, i need to be more positive about it.. but i can't deny that it can be VERY discouraging at points. i haven't given up and i'm getting back on track. i guess i am coming to terms with that fact that i have to work even harder than i was told by my surgeon.. but.. i'm sure i will have people agreeing with me that it almost seems easier to have done without the band. the "tool" is not really doing it's part other than causing me grief.. but thats something i will have to take up with my dr about. but several members posted very good advice and made a few good points. i really do stay away from a lot of things simply because i know it wont sit well.. so thats a plus.

today i had rotisserie chicken breast. was delicious.. then i threw it up 5 min later because i CANNOT eat lean chicken.. i just can't do it.. thats part of my frustration.. shouldn't i be able to eat lean chicken? anyway.. thanks for the advice and i'm sure with some more positive outlook i will see results.

today i had rotisserie chicken breast. was delicious.. then i threw it up 5 min later because i CANNOT eat lean chicken.. i just can't do it.. thats part of my frustration.. shouldn't i be able to eat lean chicken? anyway.. thanks for the advice and i'm sure with some more positive outlook i will see results.

Even when you cut it into PEA size parts? If so pull some Fluid out....

Ok...how much chicken breast did you have before you started getting the tell-tale signals from your stomach? Perhaps the portion sizes are too big? I agree with UrbanWasteland in that if you are eating small bites, chewing well, eating slowly, and keeping portion sizes small, then you should be able to eat some chicken breast. Maybe you're too tight. Remember, the band isn't supposed to work by physically preventing you from overeating!!

I'm genuinely sad to read that this hasn't worked out for you. Thank you for your honesty. I am still researching everything despite having my surgery date set for the 3rd Sept.

It's important to know that this doesn't work for everybody. Alot of those people who didn't 'get on' with the band have their surgery reversed and have a bypass or gastric sleeve. Would you consider this ? Your weight loss is definitely slow compared to the majority. I'm scared I will also not feel full or satisfied.

I'm not sure what to suggest to help you as I have no experience. If it is sore, or painful- I really think you should get a 2nd opinion. It may have slipped or even be placed in the wrong position.

I really wish you well.

Hugs.