Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bye Bye Money hello life

Okay so its official... I have been denied by my insurance company due to the fact that I have not had a BMI of 40 or more for at least 2 years and have no co-morbidities. Uhhhhh.. Grrrrrrrrr :) I've been fat all my life except for a few months here and there. Ive only been at BMI of 40 (or more) for about 9 months but soo what.. Ive been over BMI of 35 for like 3 years and BMI of at least 30 for like 10 years, doesn't that count for anything. I have been from 200 to 180 to 225 to 195 to 210 to 230 to 220 to 230 to 245 to 230 to 250 within 4 years, doesn't that count for anything? Okay so what that I don't have a current co-morbidity... itsn't what Im doing PREVENTION... doesn't that court? :huh2:

Okay so I was denied but that won't stop me. I have already decided and now confirmed that if I wasn't insured, I will pay for the surgery. SO thankfully my parents agreed to lend me the money and I will pay them back monthly. I mean this is my life and my future right... what better investment is that? Its cheaper then my car was so thats a bonus! :lol: I mean if I can spend $20,000 on a car that can be destroyed in seconds, isn't a $16,000 surgery that can change, improve and potentially save my life well worth it!

So Bye Bye Money but Hello Life! :)

Thanks for letting me vent!

Dr Kirshenbaum In Denver is just under $10k - he has a lot of out of state paitents. You should consider him before shelling out an extra $6k. I was banded by him in June and I could not be happier. Do some research on him - there are lots of satisfied paitents on this website!

Congratulations on your decision - we have a similar weight history - so I know where you are coming from. I didn't go throughout the insurance process because my company doesn't cover any type of weight management program.

Dr. K is fantastic - the low price is definitely not a reflection of the quality of care. His fills are only $25 - so many of his out of state paitents fly here for them.

Best of luck!

Thanks Char!

Going out of state would be fine but by the time I pay for travel and hotel accomodations, it would be getting close to the same amount! But thank you for the suggestion.

I don't mind spending the money so much just because I had it in my head already that it may come to that. I love my surgeon/staff/hospital. Maybe I can convince them not to keep me over night and it will knock off a chunk of money. We'll see!

:)

Can't see why they would keep you overnight. I had my band done August 11th at 0730 in the morning and I was getting in the truck to go home with my wife by noon. Most of the time it is an outpatient procedure and you're in and out in 4-6 hours. Unless of course there are complications. Just a side note, I also had a hiatal hernia fixed. I wish you luck.

I also didn't have to stay over night. Actually, I was wheeled into surgery at 10 am and was walking out of the hospital at 12:30 pm. I too had a hiatal hernia fixed. My surgeon doesn't ever plan to keep anyone overnight unless complications are expected or experienced.

For me, the surgery really wasn't too big of a deal. The only pain that I felt was from the trapped gas. The actual incisions didn't hurt at all.

Good luck to you!

I was only at the hospital for a few hours myself. I've read that some people had insurance billed for over $40K for their surgery. Seems crazy to me that doctors (mine isn't the only one out there) can do it for $10K for self-pay, but when you get the insurance companies involved the cost is up to 4 times as much. Kind of makes me sick! My wish is that everyone who needs this surgery could have it.

It will be worth it...be very happy your parents are helping you..I borrowed from my 401k and pay it bi weekly for the next 5 years. My total was 15grand and I did stay overnight and glad I did..had no complications but I felt like I needed to stay there I was ready to go though by the next morning! my doctor makes his patience stay overnight but I got released by 10am the next morning. its hard because you think of all you can do with that money but I wouldnt change a thing. Im only 3 weeks out and had a rough first week but never regretted it!

hi guys - im new to this site and im from europe --- i cant believe how epensive the banding is to get done for you guys! I paid 8000 euros and that included 2 nights hospital stay and travel to and from airport (as i flew to the UK to get it done from Ireland). I had surgery done on 5th June but not much weight loss as of yet --just had my first fill today so hopefully it will all start to come off soon! good luck to you all!