Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking about cheating.... opinions??

I had my pre op appt today. My surgery is set for Friday:thumbup:

They wanted me to lose 10 pounds-as of today I've lost 16. Do you think it would really hurt if I ate a last favorite meal for supper Thursday night??

The correct answer is probably no. If I were to do it I think I would have the meal on Wed. This would give you a chance to "void" everything if you get my drift. You would'nt want to eat a large meal the day before then have the anasteshia (sp)/pain killers bind you up after. My nurse practitioner did mentioned someone having a presurgery blow out and she was not happy about that.

SpoiltMom you are so funny...I have been following your posts since you were so frustrated about not getting approved and worrying about that.

Everything went your way and better and now your thinking of cheating on your pre-op diet!!

I'm not being mean or snarky this just makes me worry about people like myself that are emotional eaters. What reasoning and excuses will I use once I'm banded?

Will I be a success or one that has only lost 30 lbs after being banded for a year because I have to have 1 last something. There's always an excuse for 1 last indulgence or "just this time" . That's why I'm having to do major surgery to control my weight now.

This is not about me though....just made me think.

On the other hand I find a lot of Dr.s operate differently . I saw my surgeon today and was so ready for him to tell me I have to do a 2 wk liquid diet starting today but he didn't.

I only have to have liquids the day before surgery and I have to have a bottle of that citrate of magnesia to clean out my bowels.

So if you just have to...I think it would be better to do like Honk says do it on Wednesday and then clean yourself out the day before surgery.

I wouldn't risk my surgeon going in and finding a reason not to operate though. Some of these surgeons can be very strict and don't want to risk their practice for patients that don't follow instructions.

Edited by msdv

Knowing me i would have my last hoorah but do it a day or so before my surgery but i know my hubby will kill me if i do that... he he

Wait.

Go for the 'last supper' the night before you band. Order whatever you want but make sure you follow the physician's orders on when to stop eating for the surgery time.

ENJOY! It's an awesome journey.

my surgeon , just says eat lightly , Ive been doing two shakes and a meal at night . So maybe don't blow a whole day , just do one last meal at night (and not the night before). Stay away from the carbs!!!

You know where to find me on the email side mandy. If you need my number as a support buddy let me know!

Jennifer

Seriously? Who exactly would you be cheating? Thats right, you will be cheating yourself.

"last favorite meal"? Are you planning to never eat again? You will be able to eat your favorite meal again, just not for a couple of months or so.

My Dr actually had me sign a form that said if he started the surgery and could tell I had not been following the pre-op diet based on stomach and intestine contents, he would stitch me closed and not install my band. Plus he would get to keep my $10K I had paid for the surgery. These restrictions are in place for your safety during surgery not for weight loss. He needs your insides to be a certain way for the band to be installed correctly.

So is it worth risking having your surgery canceled, or have your band placed too high or too low, just to eat your favorite meal?

I hope you do not take this as me being mean to you, I am being very blunt because I think this is a non-negotiable issue. Your safety is at stake, this is a major surgery, give your surgeon every chance of installing your band correctly and safely.

Be strong, don't give in! You can do it! You will eat your favorite foods again, I promise! (Just in smaller quantities) Plus, because you will be thin, you wont feel guilty while eating it so you will enjoy it more.

I am pulling for you! :blushing:

Thanks guys! I've decided to stay the course and keep to my liquids. I have 12 pounds to go until my first goal of 199!! So I'm just going to stick and out and keep watching the scale go down.

That's great ...I was going to delete my post because I didn't want to offend.

I'm glad you made a good decision for yourself.

Even though my Dr did not put me on a strict liquid diet I'm going to be very careful from now until surgery & will probably use that citrate of magnesia 2-3 times in the next couple of weeks.

What Leigha Mason said was deep , a lot to think about.

Don't worry I'm not offended. You guys are telling me the truth.

I don't know if I'd do that Magnesia. Why not up your exercise instead? I have a treadmill and I get on it every time I think about eating something. It keeps me busy instead.

I think that you made the right decision to stick to your pre-op diet. Believe me, after banding you will be able to eat just about everything that you used to eat. I am almost to the green zone and haven't run across a food that I can't tolerate.....I just eat smaller amounts!

Good luck to you on Friday!

I think that you made the right decision to stick to your pre-op diet. Believe me, after banding you will be able to eat just about everything that you used to eat. I am almost to the green zone and haven't run across a food that I can't tolerate.....I just eat smaller amounts!

Good luck to you on Friday!

That's good to hear!! Your doing great by the way!

Don't worry I'm not offended. You guys are telling me the truth.

I don't know if I'd do that Magnesia. Why not up your exercise instead? I have a treadmill and I get on it every time I think about eating something. It keeps me busy instead.

I'm glad your not offended .

The magnesia is Dr.s orders it's a laxative used to clean out your bowels before the surgery. I have to take it the day before surgery. I was just thinking about taking it a couple of times because I haven't been binging but I have been eating just whatever I thought to have since I thought I would be going on a strict liquid diet for 2 weeks.

I have to exercise too to build myself up for surgery, Dr's orders. I have a treadmill too.

you go girl!

good for u! I am at day 4 and have lost 6lbs already...day two was horrible and made me doubt the whole process but I know that's just me trying to sabotage myself. My surgeon is also very strict and I signed a contract that says I will follow his every rule. I'm working hard at changing my way of thinking...and remember "nothing tastes as good as skinny will feel" I read that here somewhere and it is so true!:unsure: