Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking about cheating.... opinions??

Good for you Mandy!!! good luck tommarow! we are all rooting for you!!!

Jennifer

I think that you made the right decision to stick to your pre-op diet. Believe me, after banding you will be able to eat just about everything that you used to eat. I am almost to the green zone and haven't run across a food that I can't tolerate.....I just eat smaller amounts!

Good luck to you on Friday!

This is good to hear, that has been one of my fears that I will never ever be able to eat certain foods again like steak or shrimp...Atleast that is what my surgeon tells me...I know everyone is different.

For those newly banded or about to be banded: Don't be scared of not being able to eat, as long as you don't keep your band too tight you can still have all your favorite foods.

I can eat anything if I use my new eating techniques except bananas and white bread. And I can make a smoothie from bananas and toast from the bread and then eat that. So technically I can eat anything in small quantities. :)

(I am referring to after your post-op diet, when you are back to regular foods)

"I signed a contract that says I will follow his every rule."

Before I say anything keep in mind after my surgery was postponed for unrelated health issue; more of less I've remained on a modified liquid diet for 4 months (2 shakes a day with one meal). I also exercise every day for an hour. So I consider myself pretty dedicated to this cause.

But signing a contract? Really? Aren't we adults? I think if I signed a contract that he would to: "I promise never to reschule your appointment last minute; causing you to reschedule a meeting with the CFO at your employer (thanks for that); and I promise not to stick you with a nurse practioner you've never met a week before your surgery (Who says "remember don't gain any weight this week". I've lost 54 pounds since January can we skip the lectures?) Sorry but the contract thing blows my mind.

Before I say anything keep in mind after my surgery was postponed for unrelated health issue; more of less I've remained on a modified liquid diet for 4 months (2 shakes a day with one meal). I also exercise every day for an hour. So I consider myself pretty dedicated to this cause.

But signing a contract? Really? Aren't we adults? I think if I signed a contract that he would to: "I promise never to reschule your appointment last minute; causing you to reschedule a meeting with the CFO at your employer (thanks for that); and I promise not to stick you with a nurse practioner you've never met a week before your surgery (Who says "remember don't gain any weight this week". I've lost 54 pounds since January can we skip the lectures?) Sorry but the contract thing blows my mind.

LOL! I had to laugh at that. You're right though doctor's always make you wait or reschedule.

Good for you Amanda! While we were on vacation last week I had decided one night that we were going to go out to eat and I would eat what I wanted to. But when I got there I decided it wasnt worth it. From reading these boards and talking to my mom who is attending the weekly support groups at her surgeons office (she is going to be banded in October) I know that just becuase I have the band doesnt mean I wont ever get to eat my favorite foods again. So I just decided that 2 weeks before hand and 4 weeks afterwards of not eating my favorite foods was something I could live with if it gets me to my ultimate goal.

Was that even coherent? I shouldnt type and do pain meds at the same time! LOL!

I cheated a little - very little. I actually had about 7 chips and hot sauce at a mexican food restaurant. I ate about 4 oz of baked Tilipia and some charro Beans. It was still basically low fat; just don't eat after midnight before your surgery!

Well I will fess up an say that I just cheated last night. My brother came over with a couple bottles of wine and although I knew he was coming and had prepared dinner in such a way that it was completely low carb...I ended up sharing the wine with him. I have no self control, or at least that is how I feel. I'm a week away from surgery and here I am drinking wine with my brother because I haven't told him I'm having surgery and I feel pressured into the old habits, which technically are still my habits.

So many of you have no preop diets or variations of preop diets and here I have two weeks before and I can't do that...partly I think because I see that others don't do preop diets at all.

I don't know. I am going to have to be a hermit for a month if I am going to get through this without telling people. Ugh...disgusted with myself!

Honk, I understand and agree with what your saying but I don't really think it's that serious.

I'm hoping that the contract thing is probably just and extra incentive or motivator to try to keep you on your toes What can they do ? sue you if you don't lose weight or exercise?

Yeah , I can just see that on Judge Judy!!

On the other hand if God forbid something go wrong at your surgery because you binged out or have a gut full of alcohol or something it may be a piece that they can use against you if we wanted to sue them. Who knows? I think it's just more like one of those pledges Oprah always has people signing...like yeah O just cause you shame somebody into signing your don't text and drive pledge on your show their not gonna do it but it may make someone think twice about it.

Well I will fess up an say that I just cheated last night. My brother came over with a couple bottles of wine and although I knew he was coming and had prepared dinner in such a way that it was completely low carb...I ended up sharing the wine with him. I have no self control, or at least that is how I feel. I'm a week away from surgery and here I am drinking wine with my brother because I haven't told him I'm having surgery and I feel pressured into the old habits, which technically are still my habits.

So many of you have no preop diets or variations of preop diets and here I have two weeks before and I can't do that...partly I think because I see that others don't do preop diets at all.

I don't know. I am going to have to be a hermit for a month if I am going to get through this without telling people. Ugh...disgusted with myself!

I feel you Jen. I am so thankful I don't have that requirement with all the stress I'm going through I know I would ahve had a hard time with that 1.

I only have to stay on liquids the day before surgery and I also have to take a bottle of citrate of magnesia too to clean me out.

Why don't you do that today or tomorrow? take the c of m to clean yourself out and just try to be cool the rest of the time.

I'm gonna be home all next week too to stay out of temptations way.

I think it'll be easier after the surgery cause we'll be sore and trying to heal and afraid of messing up the tool inside us.

Thanks and it's a good suggestion. I am back on the diet and clearing my calendar this weekend so I don't blow it again. It's been stressful enough to hopefully keep me from doing it again. I'll be glad when the band is on and this preop stuff is done.

Ok - put all that behind you. I had a pre-op diet, but it wasn't too bad at all. I could have 2 servings of egg, whole wheat bread, low-fat yogurt, fruit one time/day. Then 2 Protein Shakes. Then 4 oz of baked chicken and 1 serving of a green veggie. I know that was a very generous pre-op diet. Others I know were on straight liquid for 2 weeks prior (5 Protein shakes per day). You could supplement SF popcicles, SF Jello and that helps! Hang in there and do the diet so your surgery will be safe.

I had my pre op appt today. My surgery is set for Friday:thumbup:

They wanted me to lose 10 pounds-as of today I've lost 16. Do you think it would really hurt if I ate a last favorite meal for supper Thursday night??

Good luck tomorrow!

I did last night! OK, it wasn't really cheating. My high Protein low low carb diet officially starts today, I unofficially started monday. I am allowed a light evening meal (3 Protein Shakes daily, light dinner- lean meat and a salad, NO carbs, but no food the night before surgery). So... Last night my sweetie brought chinese home from our favorite take out and I will admit- I filled my plate. I loved every bite and now I'm done. He has offered to eat fast food for dinner on the way home this next week and cook for the kids so I can avoid all of that kitchen temptation.

It's not a "last meal" but it's the last one for a while! 2 weeks of liquids after surgery means almost a month on liquids!

But as of today I'm strict strict strict. Good luck!

Great decision! You can do it!

I had my surgery in April, have lost over 60 pounds now with my pre-op and I still can eat all my favorite foods. I just eat smaller portions and carbs and sweets way less often.

All the "last suppers" I had in the weeks before I started my pre-op just increased my weight so I started at a higher point - self-sabotage!!!!!!

When I eat my favorite things now, I eat very slowly, savor each bite for a long time and really enjoy it. I used to gulp it down until my stomach ached and wish I had more.

To the person who is thinking about using the laxative more than prescribed -- laxatives can dehydrate you! You want to go into surgery as hydrated as possible. The major reason for returning to the hospital is for dehydration and to be put on IV fluids. After surgery you may have to force your fluids as some do not feel like drinking.

My advice -- do what your doctor said and no more laxatives than prescribed.

Good luck with your surgeries!!!!!!!!!