Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Big set back, feeling very discouraged

I am just over 3 weeks post op when early Monday morning I woke up and my pajamas were wet. I went into the bathroom to see why and realized I was covered in blood. I had blood pouring out of my belly button. I went to the ER where they determined I had a hematoma in my belly button.They cut it open to drain it, packed the wound and dressed it. Sent me home. I bled through that dressing, and 4 more. I saw the PA in the office who repacked the wound and then had to wait for the doctor to be finished in surgery. She had every intention of taking me back to surgery, but I had eaten because of course no one told me I shouldn't. She cut the wound open more to cauterize it and stop the bleeding. Once again, repacked the wound. Now I am stuck with packing this wound at home (my husband does it) twice a day, which is more pain than anything I have ever had and I had 2 c-sections. Even my doctor is surprised that I am having this big of a complication almost 3 1/2 weeks post op. I am feeling very discouraged now and honestly wishing I hadn't done this. I wish I knew that even with this set back, it will have all been worth it.:thumbup:

Sounds scarey! :) I hope they find out the problem...very odd!:thumbup:

Hang in there, and let us know how it turns out for you! My prayers are with you!

You poor thing! Hang in there, focus on getting well...the band will wait for you. It will all be worth it....just concentrate on healing for now. :blushing:

Keeping you in my prayers.

Maintain a positive attitude everything will work out for your good....

Cherry03

OMG NOW IM SCARED, MY BIGGEST INCISION HAS ALWAYS BEEN REALLY RED..ONE WEEK POST OP THE DOCTOR PUT ME ON ANTIBIOTICS. TWO WEEKS POST OP HE SAID WELL ITS NOT DRAINING, THERES NO PAIN AND ITS NOT FEVERISH. IT LOOKS BETTER JUST RED SO HE DECIDES ITS JUST A BIG HEMATOMA. NOW ITS THREE WEEKS AND ITS STILL RED, A LITTLE PINKER BUT STILL RED, AND NOW I HAVE THIS RASH AROUND ALL OF MY INCISIONS THAT ITCHES REALLY BAD.. I THOUGHT IT WAS BECAUSE OF HEALING BUT YOU CAN ACTUALLY SEE THE LITTLE RASH BUMPS AROUND ALL FIVE CUTS...I GO BACK AUG. 19TH FOR MY FIRST FILL. DO YOU THINK I SHOULD CALL OR AM I JUST REALLY NERVOUS? i JUST STARTED PUTTING CORTIZONE CREAM ON IT TODAY.

@ Layla's grandma -

PLEASE have your doctor look at it! Sunday Morning, I woke up and had a lot of pain in my belly button. It started to get redder and redder on the skin around it. I had what I thought was droplettes of puss (it wasn't turns out it was serous (?) fluid). I had every intention of calling the doctor on Monday morning to be seen because I thought it was getting infected. Well it was Sunday night into Monday morning that I woke up with blood all over me. Now I am stuck packing this gaping hole two times a day. If I can keep you or anyone from going through this, believe me I will try my hardest. I wouldn't wish this on anyone! My doctor says it isn't infected but put me on an antibiotic anyway because she is concerned since that is where my port is. If it would get infected it would affect the port and then I will have a real mess on my hands. This whole mess just has me so down. I keep trying to think of it as a small stumbling block but then I get mad because I think, I did this to myself by having the surgery.

4them, this is NOT your fault for having the surgery! Please wipe that thought from your mind. Try not to become frustrated and just take really good care of your open wound. I had one, but it was an intentional gaping hole left by my doc after I had surgery my breast a few years back. I had to pack mine a few times daily too. Please be careful not to become infected. I did, and was back in surgery within a week. Just keep your wound clean and packed and consider this a little bump in the road to the new, improved YOU! If you can heal from this without incident you have one heck of a future ahead of you! Stay positive.

All the best to you on your journey.

I know telling you not to be discouraged isn't going to work but I will tell you the band is worth it. Right now, you are still healing from your surgery and now your hematoma and still able to eat because you're not filled. I had a small one...that burst open after zumba class and fortunately I am a nurse who works in surgery so I was able to play with mine a little and it stopped bleeding. (this was also about 3 weeks out) Knowing what I know about surgery, these things can just happen and it's nobody's fault. I hope yours heals well and quickly! Keep on keeping on....

Bless your heart, I hope you don't give up on your band. Mine did the same thing but not near as bad as yours. Stay positive and do what your Dr. says. I will pray for you! :)

I sure hope you are feeling better now, I am getting banded on aug 17 and am nrevous. Are you better? did you learn what happened to cause that bleed. blessings to you.

Scared now my surgery is on the 26th i sure hope this doesnt happen to me...Good luck hope you feel better....

Just responding to those who asked if I was better now...well, not exactly. I packed that intial wound for 27 days and was probably only a few days away from it being closed when I went in for my first fill. They couldn't access my port, so they looked at it under fluroscopy in radiology only to find that the port was flipped. So...that meant I went back to surgery 2 days later. I came out of surgery with the port being repositioned to a new area and a new incision in my belly button that was even bigger than the first. So we (my wonderful husband and I) are back to packing this thing twice a day and are on day....37 or 38. I am sure this doesn't happen to a lot of people, this honestly speaks for my luck. We joke that if it weren't for my bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all. But I can tell you that I have lost 42 lbs so far...so that much of it has been worth it. Good luck to all of you in your journey's!

4them,

You poor dear! What an ordeal for you and your family. May you now heal up quickly and completely and may all you who care for you be bringing only good health to you henceforth.

I am having my first fill on 9-24 and I am scared, I hope everything is good inside me, I seem to be healing up easily except for one little spot on my port site incision, one little scab that is still not off and surgery was 8-17.

I have been able to eat fine and have had no feelings of being stuck yet, must really need that fill because my wt loss is stuck at 15 lbs. This week i am going to add back some light exercise.

This sounds awful, how traumatic for you. You're right,this must be rare, its not something I've every heard about on here. Dont you just love being the one in a million, sigh?

My caesar wound was similar, but it wasnt red blood, it was clear reddish Fluid that it leaked, but it did it for WEEKS on end, I'd be out and about and suddenly soaked as if I'd wet myself. It was more annoying than painful or serious though.

I'm so sorry that you are going through this! I hope that you fully recover soon.