Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A little over one week post op and already hungry!?!?!

I had my surgery last Thursday, the 22nd of July. I had 3 days pre-op liquid diet, which I lost 4 pounds from. And I have lost another 11 pounds post op for a total of 15 pounds. I know this is amazing! And I am so excited! However, the past couple of days I have been STARVING. I get hunger pains so badly that my stomach hurts. I am supposed to be on week 2, oatmeal, grits, etc. but that has not been filling me up. I started eating mashed potatoes (although those are on my week 3 list) and those worked for a minute but now I am still hungry! I have been drinking Protein Shakes and those help a little but I want to EAT SOMETHING! I am going to go ahead tomorrow and start adding some of the other week 3 foods like scrambled eggs and cheese and crackers because I feel like I can handle it. I am hoping this will help some too. I have read about bandster hell but I didn't expect it to start this quickly! I am not sure when I get my first fill. My first follow up appointment is delayed because my doctor is on vacation, so it isn't scheduled until August 11th. I wouldn't think he would give me my first fill on my first follow up visit, but at this point I am kinding of hoping he will because I am tired of being hungry ALREADY! Anyway, just thought I would share what I am going through. Thanks, and good luck to everyone else out there going through this!

I had my surgery last Thursday, the 22nd of July. I had 3 days pre-op liquid diet, which I lost 4 pounds from. And I have lost another 11 pounds post op for a total of 15 pounds. I know this is amazing! And I am so excited! However, the past couple of days I have been STARVING. I get hunger pains so badly that my stomach hurts. I am supposed to be on week 2, oatmeal, grits, etc. but that has not been filling me up. I started eating mashed potatoes (although those are on my week 3 list) and those worked for a minute but now I am still hungry! I have been drinking Protein shakes and those help a little but I want to EAT SOMETHING! I am going to go ahead tomorrow and start adding some of the other week 3 foods like scrambled eggs and cheese and crackers because I feel like I can handle it. I am hoping this will help some too. I have read about bandster hell but I didn't expect it to start this quickly! I am not sure when I get my first fill. My first follow up appointment is delayed because my doctor is on vacation, so it isn't scheduled until August 11th. I wouldn't think he would give me my first fill on my first follow up visit, but at this point I am kinding of hoping he will because I am tired of being hungry ALREADY! Anyway, just thought I would share what I am going through. Thanks, and good luck to everyone else out there going through this!

When your swelling goes down you will start feeling hungry. Before you put yourself on the next stage I would call your doctors office and ask them if it's ok. eggs are one thing but crackers and cheese are solids. Becareful.

Are you drinking plenty of fluids inbetween your meals? Try some sugar free ice pops. They work wonders also. Good luck and I hope things get better for you.

I agree- talk to your doc. about advancing to the next stage ahead of time. It's probably alright but I would check to be sure. Also, just be prepared that the first fill may not give you restriction. It took me 3 fills to get any restriction. I hope it works but just want you to realize it may not. Hang in there! You will get there and love your band.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. You are right, maybe I will wait a few more days before I do crackers and cheese. But definitely adding scrambled eggs tomorrow! Today is Friday, week 3 will start officially next Thursday I guess so maybe I could add week 3 foods like next Tuesday. That isn't too quickly I wouldn't think. This whole thing is a little harder than I really thought it was going to be. I know it will get easier with time, just trying not to get frustrated too much in the mean time. Yes, I have been trying to get my Water in. I drink it as much as I can. I have to wait an hour after eating before I can drink so I do the best I can in the time I have to get my water in but I don't think I make 64 ounces, probably more like 45-50 ounces a day. I think I will just try to add an extra Protein Shake in there if I can manage it, because those really do help. It is just hard to force myself to drink those things sometimes! Sorry to be complaining! I know some people wish they were already banded and where I am at now, well on my way to recovery with no apparent complications at this time (knock on wood). I am grateful, just looking forward to the better days ahead and sometimes don't want to wait!

I hear ya, I was banded on the 19th and Im now hungry too. I only stay full for about an hour. I started adding crackers to my Soup and wait till they get really soggy for a little more substinence? And SF popsicles, I think I eat more then my kids do..lol I just want somthing to CHEW. I actually took a bite of celery, chewed chewed chewed then spit it out..LOL. How crazy is that? I also seem to be able to eat more, like a whole package of cream of wheat or almost a whole can of soup. Id really starve if I just ate the 4 oz per meal that they told me I should be eating.

Good Luck, I also dont see my dr till Aug 11th and that is just for post op follow up :-( probably no fill- he said about 5-6wks after being banded.

Too many carbs will make you more hungry!! You can get more Protein in easily on liquids. Put eggs, cheese, meat, fish, etc into your blender and thin them with chicken broth. try to stay away from carbs now more than ever because they cause over production of insulin which causes hunger..... Hugs....

You are in bandster hell. It starts pretty much right after surgery and goes until your first few fills.

Just because you are only a week or so out from surgery doesn't mean you won't or shouldn't get hungry. You will as you obviously are! But the thing to remember is to follow your doctor's plan of advancing through the stages of foods. Do call him and ask if it is okay to advance to the next stage, as some will allow you to do this. Mine did.

However, if you are needing some additional Protein to make it through, I have a few suggestions other than using Protein powder (I couldn't stand that stuff!).

Cottage cheese - no, not the plain old stuff. Uck. What I did was blend the cottage cheese (non-fat) in a blender with a bit of Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning mix. You can mix that up with some boiled cauliflower that you then mash, and add a bit of milk to thin it down until you get the consistency you need. You can also mix it with mashed potatoes if you can eat those.

Non-fat powdered milk - this is perfect to mix into coffee, tea, your regular milk, shakes, Soups, etc. I make my own Protein Shakes without the powdered Protein using the non-fat powdered milk, skim milk, ice, chocolate Carnation instant Breakfast mix, and Peanut Butter (you may not be able to eat this in the early stages). Just blend it in your blender till smooth. It is quite yummy. Instead of chocolate/pb, you can use the strawberry Carnation and frozen strawberries or bananas.

If your doctor didn't give you a list of acceptable foods throughout the various stages, do a search on here, you'll be able to find a plethora of foods for each stage of the healing process.

Good luck! You'll make it through, we all do!

Three days out and there are times I pretty well feel starving. It's really hard to think that it's going to be 10 days until I get on the pureed diet. I really appreciate all the suggestions here.

I feel your pain! I finally left the full liquids phase and am onto the mushies! Life is great because now I can have Protein, veggies and fruit and its okay to have low fat yogurt and sugar free pudding. Its only been 2 days since I started these foods but I feel so much better. I am not keen on blending my meats and so since you dont have to puree fish, that is what I have been eating and its sooooo yummy. I find that after eating 4 oz of fish and 1/4 cup of veggies, I am full. I dont know why or how but I hope this keeps up until my first fill, which is over a month away!

I agree with previous posters, call your doctor and ask to progress to the next step early..I did and they let me start 3 days early.

Call your DR before you rush and try to eat something that is not "allowed" on your post op diet. I learned that the hard way with scrambled eggs a little over a week after surgery. Yes I sure did try and it was not pleasant. Stick with what the Dr says to do even though you are sick of it. This is a time for healing.

Best of luck to you!

I go for my 2 week followup this wednesday. I started eating my mushies today. I do not put too many things in the blender...the thought is not appealing to me. And when I do put them in the blender, do not add too much liquid...I still need it to have substance. But after wednesday, I am going hard on my workouts and my protein...no excuses. I want my mind to get around this new life. BTW...is anyone tired of sugar free...the after taste is getting to me at this point.

Thanks all! I called my doctor today and was told to call back on Thursday -- they can perhaps add some things at that time. Can't wait for the purees!