Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, concerns after pre-op visit!

Well, I went to my doctor yesterday for my pre-op consultation. I really thought I would get more information from him concerning the post-op eating and such. Well, what I got was a required clear liquid/laxative diet for the day before surgery (hey - y'all didn't tell me about that doozie!?!?!), a packet from inamed with cards and a brochure about the product, and a statement from the doc that it is up to me to make use of the band.

I really hope I get some literature after the surgery, I mean, this site is awesome, but I was hoping to have a strict guideline from the doc. I do so well on strict regimens (Jenny Craig), but suck at things such as weight watchers where it is all up to me! Now I am really worried that maybe this isn't for me after all! I have already paid and don't know if I have made the best choice for my personal situation. I really thought my doc would be more involved in the whole experience.

Any thoughts?

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

Cheri, Not sure what you were looking for from the doctor but once the band is placed and you have your initial folow up (mine was one month post-op) then you only see the dr. when you need a fill or if you are having problems. Did you have to see a dietician also? I did and I have called her for most of my questions after banding.

The band to me is just a tool to tell me I am full and to quit eating. I was given a guide to follow as to what to eat after surgery and when to add new foods as time goes on but if you don't follow the diet rules and just eat junk or try to eat more than the band wants you to then you will probably not lose the weight. Plus overeating makes you feel like crap. Right now at 6 weeks post-op I try to eat very low carb, and high Protein diet. You should get a list of what your diet will be after surgery, if you can follow that and get some exercise and just "listen" to your band then you will do great. And if you are being bad and need a swift kick in the pants then just log on here and we will do our best to help you get back on track. lol hope this helped..

Good luck Cheri. Everything will be ok. Put your self in the hand of God you will see that everything will be fine. God bless you.

My surgeon requires that you take their 3 hour nutrition class BEFORE you have surgery.

I've scanned a copy of their post-op diet and included a link to it below. I followed this post-op diet to a T and didn't have a single problem. Remember, this is the post-op diet recommended by my surgeon. It seems as though every surgeon has a different post-op diet. I hope this helps.

http://www.geocities.com/tricia_kutz/misc/post-op-diet.JPG

Same here as Tricia, I had to go to a nutritionalist before surgery who explained all my dietary info. Plus after surgery I got a packet from the hospital with the dietary stuff in it.

I didn't have to do any liquids before surgery, my doc said eat and enjoy ROFL !!! just dont eat or drink from midnight the day before. That was hard b/c my surgery wasn't until the next day at 5 pm.

My surgeon didn't really say anything to me other than we went over my health and what he was going to put in the letter to the insurance company. I had no questions for him because I asked them all when I went to his seminar about the surgery.

I was not given any restrictions pre-op except nothing to eat or drink after 10pm the night before (standard for any surgery) Post-op was clear liguids for 2 weeks, then full liguids 7-10 days, then soft mussy food for 7-10 days and then introducing regular well chewed foods. This was to help the healing etc. Be sure to eat/drink lots of protien and Water. I have done well but really missed chewing (crazy I know). I had some Hair loss 1-2 weeks post-op but that went away when I increased the protien.

You will have to find out by trial and error what you can eat and what you can not since everyone is different. I don't think you are going to find any one food list that works for everybody. Your band will let you know, just eat slowly and chew, chew, chew.

Hope all goes well for you.

Thanks for your input! Tricia, the link is so helpful - what I need is step by step, and your menu is exactly that! woohoo Hopefully I will get something post-op as well!

I didn't mean to sound negative concerning my doc - I have met with him 3 times and he has been absolutely great! I guess I just wanted more of a "coach" - I don't know.

I was required to have a sleep study, endoscopy, labs, and xrays - but no nutritionist! Maybe I would do well to find one? I know this site is going to be indescribably valuable for me, but you can only give me a virtual kick in the rump when I deserve a good swift one!!!! Maybe that is where the age-old guilt trip comes into play?!?!?!?!!hehe

Thanks again!

~cheri

Thanks for your input! Tricia, the link is so helpful - what I need is step by step, and your menu is exactly that! woohoo Hopefully I will get something post-op as well!

Thanks again!

~cheri

You're very welcome. Good luck!!

Thanks Tricia for the website info, it was also helpful to me. I was not required to attend a nutrition class either.

Looks like Cheri is being banded today. Goodluck Cheri, please post soon.

Thanks to all who post on this site, it has been very helpful.

Thanks Tricia for the website info, it was also helpful to me. I was not required to attend a nutrition class either.

Looks like Cheri is being banded today. Goodluck Cheri, please post soon.

Thanks to all who post on this site, it has been very helpful.

You're welcome as well.

Cheri, good luck to you. Let us know how everything went.

Can't wait to hear how you make out after banding. I think every surgeon has his own set of pre-op rules. I, myself, have to see a nutricianist for 5 weeks. It's OK I might just learn a lot, and it gives me longer to come here and read things and put it in perspective if this is truly the best step for me. So far I think it is. The pros far outweigh the cons. I was also told that because I have a small liver I don't have to really fast before surgery. I can be on Soups and healthy stuff, but I don't have to drink like Slim-Fast. I guess that's one thing going in my favor.

So anxious to hear how you feel after your surgery. Please let us know. It seems like people here learn through trial and error with their bands what agrees with them and what doesn't and everyone appears to be different. I wish you all the success in the world and please keep us posted.

Dody

My Dr really doesnt have much to do with me either, just for fills and such. The dietician I see is more like my "coach". Shes the one that helps me, gives me advice and lays everything out on the table. I really would recommend seeing one.

Good Luck :(

I havent seen the dietician yet either, what information I've got from my surgeon has been like extracting teeth, but I'm one of those really really annoying patients that wants to know anything. I dont think he had any intention of going through post op diet etc with me, I have a feeling it will be the dietician that is my coach too, but I kind of wangled it all out of him.

I like to know what I'm getting myself into, lol. I wont be seeing the dietician till after the op, and probably after christmas now, so the nurses will be giving me all the info I need.

You aren't going to my doc, are you?? I guess they're all pretty similar in their information giving! I pretty much had my tooth extractors out at my pre-op appointment too!!

The nurse I had on surgery day didn't have any information for me (i had just assumed I would be sent home with some sort of plan to follow). She must've seen the panic in my eyes, because she went online while I was in recovery and downloaded a bunch of stuff for me. She also made copies of other docs' (gastric bypass) post-op diet plans. I thought that was a great thing to do!! She went way beyond her duties for me, I was definitely blessed, but I still wish I had my own set of plans!!

I am going to see the doc on Monday for my 1 week post-op to get my staples out, I will ask him to refer me to a nutritionist at that time! I'm not worried about it too much yet because I still have no appetite, and liquids is actually pretty easy to figure out!!

Good Luck, dear! It's all good!!!

~cheri

I didn't speak with a nutritionalist at all, but I didn't request it either.

I have lost 50lbs in 4 months by just trying to eat things that don't make me sick. Basically I try to have 1/2 a Protein bar for Breakfast (that's all I can eat in one setting), a chicken breast tv dinner for lunch, the other 1/2 my Protein Bar for a snack and something either baked or grilled for dinner.< /p>

I am physically unable to eat the things that made me fat. Hamburgers are out unless I take the top bun off and only eat half the burger with the bottom bun. But what good is the burger w/o the fries?? I can't handle potatoes, IF I do eat fries I have to find the crispy little cruncher ones and throw the rest away otherwise the potato swells and gets stuck. pizza is a no-no, I can't handle the cheese, it clumps together and gets stuck.

My surgeon had a post-op diet and I really don't remember the details of it. I followed it and at my post-op appt he told me to move onto mushies for a week then solids the next because I heal very quickly and didn't have a problem with swelling.

I wish you the best of luck!